• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 in AZ

JDH3

Hey Guys and Gals, love the forum. I’ve been lurking for awhile but joined up to ask all you nice people questions. 2008 H3A, 122000 as of right now, 3rd owner. I’ve done a few things, leveling kit, new shocks and battery and post as recommended. Dang thing doesn’t recognize it’s in park. Replaced shift interlock solenoid, checked fuses, adjusted cable and nothing changes. She runs great nothing weird but have the boot pulled to access the little button to shift out park. Not sure if this the right spot for this but figured I’d ask here before junking up the rest of the forum. I have more reasons why I think this. Take care and thank you admins for letting me on here, JD

JDH3

Been creeping on your website also Schwarttzy, thanks for all the great info! A buddy owns a tire shop and did it all for free, not sure what kind. If I take this thing farther I will definitely hit you up. Thanks again for the welcoming.

Last edited:

JDH3

Maybe the shift interlock solenoid. Replaced mine but didn’t change anything. I have my boot pulled up to hit the button if needed crwalker.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Welcome to H4O!

I recommend starting a new thread in the H3 section with a title describing the issue - I believe you'll get more replies.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Welcome to the forums!

If that leveling kit had torsion keys in it... you bought and installed snake oil.

Been creeping on your website also Schwarttzy, thanks for all the great info! A buddy owns a tire shop and did it all for free, not sure what kind. If I take this thing farther I will definitely hit you up. Thanks again for the welcoming.

Not exactly snake oil - the leveling kit does perform a function, just does it another way vs. adjusting the torsion bars. Also, "better" leveling kits will have shock mount extenders to help with relocating the shock for better performance after leveling.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor

No worries, hit me up if I can help you out with something!

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Not exactly snake oil - the leveling kit does perform a function, just does it another way vs. adjusting the torsion bars.

I completely disagree. If the same exact results can be achieved with factory parts whats the point.

The torsion key is just a placebo.

Also, "better" leveling kits will have shock mount extenders to help with relocating the shock for better performance after leveling.

no-no-man.gif

The cycle of the suspension hasn't changed at all. Only the ride height has changed. The suspension doesn't drop down any further away from the shock mount. Nor does the suspension have any more up travel towards the shock mounting.

The factory shock is still perfectly adequate, but I definitely recommend upgrading to the Fox Shock.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I completely disagree. If the same exact results can be achieved with factory parts whats the point.

The torsion key is just a placebo.

The cycle of the suspension hasn't changed at all. Only the ride height has changed. The suspension doesn't drop down any further away from the shock mount. Nor does the suspension have any more up travel towards the shock mounting.

First, choose your words wisely. Snake oil means ZERO value and this kit can have some value to owners that would prefer to use it vs. using the torsion bar method. It's also pretty much insulting the OP with the connotations associated with that phrase, but maybe that's what you intended to do.

Second, when you adjust the torsion bars you are pushing the LCA and suspension down, raising the vehicle. The shock is mounted to the LCA, but is fixed at the top to the body. By doing so, you are extending the shock which is why many owners purchase longer shocks like the Bilsteins. If the upper AND lower shock points were both mounted to the suspension, you would have a point, but that's not the case.

An extension moves the shock down in its placement, theoretically allowing it to be placed back in its "normal" range of travel after its lower mount point was moved by however much the suspension was adjusted.

I'm not a fan of the torsion keys either, and I don't recommend their purchase, but I don't insult people for buying them.

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
An extension moves the shock down in its placement, theoretically allowing it to be placed back in its "normal" range of travel after its lower mount point was moved by however much the suspension was adjusted.

There is no "normal range".

Do you know what a suspension's cycle is? Because if you don't this will be very difficult for me to explain. The only thing changing with the vehicle is where the resting height is within the factory suspension's cycle. The tire doesn't have any more up travel. Up travel is the distance the tire can go vertically up. The tire doesn't have any more down travel, the distance it can travel down.

Since the maximum compression and droop of the tire within the suspension's cycle are still the same, the factory shock is just fine.

The only argument you could make is that the factory shock limits the Downtravel from the factory, but if that's the case it was designed with internal bump stop making the point moot again because they are trying to protect the components of the drivetrain.

prefer to use it vs. using the torsion bar method.

These replacement keys literally do the same thing, they just tighten up sooner. BUT because the factory torsion keys can reach the same level as the replacement keys there is no point.

It's the same a having two levers, but one of the levers applies force sooner.

Last edited: