Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Baja
    Thanks
    Finished up getting everything hooked up with the drivetrain and the oil pressure sensor. I have a pretty ghetto temporary solution in place for mounting the gauge in the cab, I'll take some pics tomorrow. Before I replaced the axle I took a drive around the neighborhood just to make sure everything was working OK. Max speed is 25 mph in my neighborhood so nothing was going to happen with the axle.

After getting the axle replaced I set out to take it for a test drive and to start the break in process. I only got maybe a half mile away before I realized I had forgotten to tighten the brake caliper bolts after I replaced the driver axle. Oops.

Got back home OK and torqued them down. Something I've been doing with all the critical bolts on this rig is marking them with a paint pen to be able to identify visually if anything is coming loose. This is now especially important to me after determining what it was that caused the outer CV boot to pop off the driver front axle. Turns out one of the bolts for the wheel bearing unit had backed out and ended up hitting the clamp for the boot and popped it off. After cleaning up all the grease and getting everything back together, I torqued that bolt down again and checked all the others. Unfortunately all of the bolts for both wheel bearing units were not fully torqued down, which is a bit scary. I'm glad I caught this before anything really bad happened, like losing a bearing/wheel on the highway or something. So those bolts are also marked with a paint pen so that I can make sure they don't come loose later.

So, after getting the brakes torqued down I set off again for a test drive and to start the break in process. Stopped in a church parking lot to check the fluid level of the transmission which turned out to still be quite low. I knew there was a little bit left in it from when Street Smart did their testing/break in, and I added about 5 quarts to get it started off. My driveway is on a slope though so I couldn't check the level properly, and my garage is now full of my engine stand, hoist, old transmission, and all my tools I've been using. I had the remaining transmission fluid with me (along with coolant and my garden sprayer/oil filler to top off the transfer case) so I put that in but it still was barely registering on the dipstick.

Headed over to ORielly Auto (tried Autozone first, they were already closed since it was 9:30pm by this point) and picked up a couple more quarts of transmission fluid which was enough to finally get the level topped off. I also topped off my transfer case while I was there. Then I headed out for the rest of the drive. I ended up putting almost 50 miles in tonight and everything went really well. Well, except for halfway through when I started hearing a scraping sound that was speed dependent. Since it was speed related I was relieved it wasn't the engine, and I was pretty sure it wasn't the transmission. I found a parking lot to stop at and took a look around. It turned out to be the brake disk shield which had apparently gotten bent when I was swapping the axle earlier, and it had warped enough to start rubbing against the brake disc rotor. Thankfully I at least still had a multitool in the truck with me and was able to use the can opener to pull the shield away from the disc. After that the rest of the drive went without any issues.

It drives great, and the transmission shifts wonderfully. My old one was definitely developing some issues so I'm glad I went ahead and replaced it. Only things left now are to get some temporary wiring in place for the oil pressure gauge (right now I'm just jumpering it to the battery terminals) and drive it a bit more and then do an oil change on it. That should get me through until we get to Colorado, then I'll change the oil again while I'm there, then again when we get back home. That will fully complete the break in process and I can switch back to Mobil 1 for my oil (you're supposed to use conventional oil for the break in to make sure everything mates up correctly and to avoid the cylinder walls glazing over).

It's been a long and tiring and somewhat expensive process, but this rig should last me a long time now. After my trip I can go back to trying to get it all set up for overlanding/camping.
    2008 H3 Alpha
    2008 Victory Red H3

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JPaul For This Useful Post:

SlcHummer (06-26-2018)

Low Profile
    Thanks

Baja
    Thanks
    Scheduled the pickup for the old transmission, got the carpet put back in (the floorpan/tunnel gets bloody hot when driving around for a while, especially now that the weather has gotten warmer), and got the transmission loaded into the back of the Alpha to take to work with me tomorrow for the pickup. They charge an additional $200 if it's delivered to a residential address, so forget that.

Had some weirdness with the starter a couple times today, it sounds like the solenoid isn't staying engaged fully. I'm not sure if it's me flipping the key back too soon or something else going wonky. I'll keep an eye on it, I know the start was replaced just last year so it shouldn't be going out already.

This morning before work I also picked up the trailer tongue bracket I had welded up and got it painted tonight. I still need to cut the old ball tongue off and get this new one mounted. Once that's done all that will be left is bolting the truck topper onto the trailer and I should be all set for my trip.
    2008 H3 Alpha
    2008 Victory Red H3

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA