Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bogger
    Thanks
    Finally took some more pictures Tuesday morning to show what progress had been made on the trailer. First up was welding up the tub a bit to keep it from falling apart any further:

And I needed to replace the catch for the gate that had been torn off on the driver's side:

Nothing super pretty, just good enough to get everything fastened back together and mostly operational and safe. Fortunately the sheet metal on the tub is thick enough that it wasn't too much of a challenge to weld without burning through (considering I was using .035 flux core), but a few spots I either had to keep going back over it to tie it together, or just give up since it just kept burning away. It's held up fine so far.
    2008 H3 Alpha
    2008 Victory Red H3

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Bogger
    Thanks
    Other things done were getting the trailer wiring hooked up. When I bought it there was no connection to the vehicle, the wires for the trailer lights actually stopped just a bit before the axle. I purchased a 8 foot 7 way plug and cable and distribution box, since I'll eventually get electric brakes on this as well as additional wiring for things like a house battery and whatnot. Plus my Hummer H3 has a 7 way plug, so it's nice to not have to use an adapter.

I bolted the distribution box to the frame and used some cheap trailer wire from Harbor Freight I already had on hand to connect to the rest of the existing trailer wiring:

Here are a couple shots of the finished trailer tongue. I used a 6 ton capacity lunette and I have a straight shank pintle hook that lines up perfectly when used with my Alpha. The pintle hook sticks out far enough that I don't have to worry about the tongue hitting my spare tire that sits right above it on the rear door when going through extreme articulation. The tongue jack is greaseable and plenty tall enough to be able to handle rough terrain when coupling/uncoupling without needing blocks or anything. I do want to add a strap for the handle though so that it doesn't hang down when the jack is stowed, just to keep it clean looking and to make sure it doesn't accidentally catch on anything while going offroad.

Lastly, here is a shot of the repaired tongue brackets. I never could find a source for the eye bolts, but fortunately I was able to use the ones from the tailgate since thanks to all the damage to the gate the inner two hinges were completely useless since they no longer lined up between the gate and the tub. I was able to get them unbolted easily enough (which was very surprising to me) and then cleaned off all the paint and then used some Evapo-rust to clear all the rust off them. If you've never used Evapo-rust before it's really nice. It's non-toxic and non-caustic and supposedly made using natural components. It takes a while to work, especially on heavier rust build up, but you don't have to worry about it damaging the parts and you can just leave them in there for hours and hours until all the rust is eaten away. So far the only local place I have found it was at Harbor Freight, oddly enough.

The surprising part to me though was when I went to bolt the tongue to the eye bolts, I discovered the ears on the tongue were totally out of alignment with the eye bolts. I had to bend both sides in towards the center to get them to line up. Considering the tongue bracket I used was an original piece, I couldn't figure out why the arms seem to have been spread apart. Eventually though I am probably just going to permanently weld the tongue arms to the frame, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I did have to make new spacers for the bolts that connect the tongue brackets to the frame eye bolts, I just used some 1/2" black iron pipe cut to fit. I made sure to include the spaces though so that I could properly tighten the bolts without worrying about snapping the eye bolts. While they might be forged pieces, based on the broken one I have that was originally from this very application I don't think they are capable of handling a lot of side loading, or torque.

I also put on a full new set of lugnuts since I was missing one. All in all I haven't had to put in too much work so far to have a usable trailer. I do still need to take off the gate so that I can remove the remaining eye bolts and straighten that back edge of the tub. Right now it's all bent in a way that pushes the top of the gate up when it's closed which leaves it protruding over the top of the tub. The reason this is a problem is that I picked up a free truck topper that normally would fit, but with the tailgate sticking up when it's closed it prevents the truck topper from sitting on the tub correctly. Once the tailgate is fixed and is level with the top of the tub I am going to bolt the truck topper on so that I don't have to mess around with a tarp. I'd like to get that done before my trip back out to Colorado in a couple weeks to pick up some stuff from my parents, but right now I'm busy rebuilding the entire suspension on my Hummer H3 Alpha, so it may not happen before that trip. We'll see how it all goes.
    2008 H3 Alpha
    2008 Victory Red H3

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA