• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer love and hate

skeptic

First, the love.. Today I had not one but two people in H2s wave at me. The second was even a bright yellow H2 SUT. It caught me by surprise a bit, but I waved back both times. I don't think I've ever had another H2 driver wave at me, certainly not since I moved to OR 2.5 years ago.

Second, the hate. While driving slowly past a bus stop looking for an address I had some young punk yell something at me. Not sure if he thought I was looking at him (I wasn't) and I didn't catch everything he said. All I heard was "Hummer" and "8 miles per gallon" while looking at addresses behind him so I'm reasonably confident it was directed at me. Two thoughts popped into my head. I actually get 12mpg give or take, and I'm guessing that's about average for bone stock H2s. If you have to exaggerate or make false statements to prove your point, maybe your argument isn't so strong. Then I thought, did some broke-ass hippie waiting for the bus really just try to insult someone for driving a Hummer!?!?!? :giggle:

RamRod

I moved to an area that is considered by much of the rest of the national population to be the "green" capital (you can read into that multiple ways) and I expected to have all sorts of hate..... not once in three years has anyone yelled at me or caused a scene or shown hate directly.

I have had several old ladies give me a big thumbs up, people ask me at the pumps and in parking lots to tell me about it as they haven't seen anything like it.

I was honestly prepared to be hit with nothing but hate when I purchased it... not been an issue at all!

skeptic

Same here. Perhaps if I were closer to Portland or Eugene I'd get more negativity but here in the Salem area if anyone says anything it's positive. I guess that's why I was so surprised at the hate - it's out of the ordinary.

Enter Hummer

The only hate I recieve is friendly competition between non-HUMMER owners (my brother). My HUMMER does have some previous vandalism on the rear fender, came free with the truck :). But personally I haven’t seen any hate.

H3slate

Brush raked
I had another H3 owner follow me into a parking lot to tell me how much they liked my rig and ask me questions about it. Don't get a lot of hate, I do get asked the most about the mpg and the snorkel.

LagunaH1

A few years ago, someone thought it was a good idea to smash the drivers side front windshield on my H1. Asshats.

That's the only real hate I've ever been on the receiving end of. More often than not, I got really cool reactions, including from little kids.

Shortbus

I'm not sure if this counts...but my boys (18,19,20) are already arguing over who gets my H2 if "anything were to happen to me" I sleep with one eye open and my Desert Eagle a little closer now. H2 and H3 owners and a couple Jeep guys wave when I pass, one of my co-workers has a lifted Wrangler Sport with 38's (I think) isnt very happy that I get a little better mileage than he does...he isnt sure if his Wrangler was re-geared for those huge rims and tires. (He bought it that way). Have gotten nothing but compliments on the H2.