• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ultimate Adventure 2017

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks everyone! Prep is almost complete and I take off down south this weekend to grab the co driver...I’ll give more info on prep and logistics soon!

Acer4LO

Where in Alabama and when?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is actually kept secert. The hosts do not tell the drivers or make any information public about where the events will take place. The reasoning behind this is that drivers can't prepare for the terrain they will be driving on, so they better be ready for anything. Also if the public knew, many would come out to see the event, slowing down the UA drivers.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Well I can’t divulge info on where we are headed but it’s far.

This year was rough because IMMEDIATELY after I have to fly to Mexico for a wedding and by immediate I mean UA ends at 7pm and 5am I’m on a flight at an airport a few hours away.

With that said the plan to was to drive squeaky across the entire country. That has been a goal of mine but my co driver didn’t feel comfortable driving my rig thousands of miles home by himself and I don’t blame him. I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable if I was in his rig by myself thousands of miles away from home.

With all that said a trailer rental was stupid expensive. An 8 lug dual axle trailer is also stupid expensive... I found a POS worn out trailer that had good bones and bought it cheap. Then it was time to prep it...we used my buddy’s 2000 1 ton GMC with a 454 and 4l80e to tow and it towed great!!! 8.3 mpg and truck, trailer, hummer and 3 weeks of crap (1 week there, 1 week for UA and 1 week back) weighed in at just under 17k lbs!!!

I’ll get pics of the trailer built later. I now own a trailer and no tow rig and that’s ok! I still have zero plans to trailer in the future but I will hold on to it because my buddy plans to race stock class in U4 series in the future so he can use it.

we’re a few hours from dropping off the tow rig and trailer and still have over 600 miles to drive in the hummer! Can’t tell you if it’s north south west or east but 600 miles is still a lot and that’s not including my 350 mile trek down to so cal I already did to meet up with the co driver...we should have about 1000 road trip miles on the hummer before UA even starts.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
UA is complete and over!! Squeaky finished in one piece. I did a little over 2,000 miles round trip. I’m sitting on a plane off to Mexico for a wedding as we speak. I’m tired...lol

We drove the hummer down to Fred Williams parents house to put it back on the trailer...we got there around midnight. Then my buddy took off to Pittsburgh to get his gf at the airport so they can drive the hummer back to CA. I rented a car to get down to philly for a 5am flight so I’m on zero sleep.

I will do a detailed recap soon but for reference we dropped the truck/trailer off at Fred’s parents house then drove the hummer to Maine. UA started in Maine, we wheeled is 6-7 out of the 8 states we travelled in. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and finished in Pennsylvania.

Big2dabank

Followed a couple of different threads online. Can't wait for more video and pics to filter out. Looks like another great UA. Awesome Job Chris!

scoreh3

Great job and congratulations on finishing in one piece.. Not bad for a young self thought shade tree fabricator , way to show them how it’s done. Keep up the great work and can’t wait to see you and squeaky in print AGAIN .

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
PRECURSOR TO UA 2018

So here's an update! 2018 has been super busy!! With that said UA 2018 was on my mind since UA 2017 ended and I was honored enough to get to go back. With that said when I got the call I was told we were going to Maine. Damn! Alaska is closer then that! I pride myself in driving my H3 to and from the trail no matter the distance. With that said, a wedding I was going to attend was in mexico the day after UA. I was supposed to fly out Saturday out of CA with my fiance but I changed my flight to Sunday to fly out of Pennsylvania at 5am to get there hours before the wedding.

So that means...what do I do with the H3? My co driver didn't wanna drive 3000 miles home by himself with a rig we beat on all week without me incase of an issue, totally understandable and I would feel the same. I also would have loved to take the time to drive the hummer across the country but I only have so much vacation. My co driver picked up an ex state truck, 2000 GMC C3500 2WD tow pig, 454, 4l80e, 14 bolt a couple months before. What could go wrong towing the heaviest load that truck will probably ever see all the way across the country as its towing break in....according to the internet, EVERYTHING! "Gasser's can't tow!" We want real life facts...so we went ahead and did it.

So with that said it's time to get a trailer, it's always been a dream to drive the hummer across the US and one day it will happen, just not this time. We contemplated buying, renting, borrowing, etc. We needed a bumper pull and tried to borrow a few trailers but all of them weren't up to the capacity (dual axle 5 lug, 7500 gross so about 5k capacity) we thought about renting...that cost about a grand for 3 weeks of renting and if we have issues with it who knows how thats handled. Buying was out of the question, a used 8 lug dual axle trailer was 5k or more in CA. With a few weeks to go till UA, I stumbled across a very very rough bare trailer but it had solid bones. Dual 8 lug axles, a strong frame and the price was 1k. We could build that trailer to what the 5k ones are at in terms of quality for less than that! When were done I can sell it, keep it, etc. the options are endless.

9Ws0NaTl.jpg

JD8JcEdl.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I was busy prepping the hummer, working, moving etc. and my co driver was in Japan. Luckily his dad stepped in and took over for trailer prep aka rebuild the whole damn thing! In return for using the trailer whenever he wants :) so I guess I will be keeping it now lol.

The owner of the trailer had multiple ones, this one he built and used it for 15-20 years towing all over the place then let it sit.

J2YHC6bl.jpg

z2VYKOjl.jpg

AszZ0G5l.jpg

E5GGBrFl.jpg

New tires, paint, deck, varnished the wood, got rid of the farm implement hitch and put on a pintle setup, breakaway switch, new side markers, all new wiring, brake lights, etc.

cSZuB6Kl.jpg

bmkLPtnl.jpg

Now we need fenders, go over the wheel bearings, ramps and brakes.

Last edited: