• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Need to install back up camera for inherited rear view mirror monitor.

08h3Alpha

Does anyone know if all alphas are wired for rear backup cameras. I installed a rear view mirror monitor and works. The only thing missing is the rear camera. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

justin94tt

I had to drill a hole in the firewall (I used the Daystar grommet), run the cable on top of the frame rail, and tap into the reverse light for mine.

JPaul

Unless it is a dealer installed option the odds of wiring existing for anything like that is pretty much nil. That was part of the lux package I think, which you had to order from the factory (or get one off the lot at the dealer that the dealership ordered with the lux package). So if it wasn't ordered with it, the wiring is not going to be there.

justin94tt

Did you use any GM parts at all. (Such as monitor or camera)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, have a clarion navigation unit, and a flush mount camera in the rear bumper. Spliced into the reverse lights at the trailer hitch wiring and ran the auxiliary cable on the drivers side frame rail into and through the firewall. If need I can post pics of the camera, reverse light splicing, and grommet where the cable runs though. In my opinion it was easier to do it this way than with oem parts.

Last edited:

08h3Alpha

Nope, have a clarion navigation unit, and a flush mount camera in the rear bumper. Spliced into the reverse lights at the trailer hitch wiring and ran the auxiliary cable on the drivers side frame rail into and through the firewall. If need I can post pics of the camera, reverse light splicing, and grommet where the cable runs though. In my opinion it was easier to do it this way than with oem parts.

Pictures would be awesome. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

I simply spliced into the backup light wire in the tail light to power the camera and the backup signal wire going to the power brake booster controller in the engine bay to provide the backup signal to the monitor to have it switch on. I have my process detailed in my build log

As for using the OEM camera, I'm not confident it's possible to use it, the signal doesn't go straight from the camera to the screen in the mirror, it passes through the "Rearview camera image display module" and then is passed to the display screen in the rear-view mirror that pops out. So the signal might not be an analog signal but could be digital. It is possible however that the OEM camera does output a simple analog video signal that is compatible with aftermarket displays, but I don't know of anyone that has tried it. Usually one just buys and aftermarket rear view camera and display screen and hook them up.

justin94tt

Ok guys I have taken some photos, it is hard to see the splices in the trailer wiring but I will try and explain everything.

The aftermarket camera I used had a red, black wire and auxiliary cable. The red wire (reverse trigger/power supply) should be spliced into the the purple wire from the trailer connector to trigger the camera on and off. The black wire is the ground.

Backup camera install diagram

Mount backup camera. (Mine is a flush mount)

412249218.jpg

People who have the factory tow package with a seven pin plug will splice the reverse trigger (red wire) from the camera to the purple wire from the trailer connector. Then splice the black ground wire from the camera to the white wire from trailer connector. (For those that do not have the factory towing package, there will be a bundle of wires behind the rear bumper on the middle to left side to add a towing package if wanted)

Link to seven pin connector diagram
https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/q/u/qu18379_800.jpg

412662887.jpg

412662889.jpg

I drilled a hole in the firewall and used a grommet made by Daystar, to run the video cable, the cable is ran on top of the drivers side frame rail and secured to factory wiring harness using thick zip ties.

Engine compartment view

412662886.jpg

Behind dash view

412662888.jpg

Last edited:

HBH3

08h3Alpha
Did you ever figure this out? I am in the process of hunting down the needed aditional OEM parts to install the OEM camera on my '09 H3 However I don't know if the harness is going to work (I know I need to replace the trailer short harness (like $40) but I am not sure if the rest of the harness would carry the video signal all the way to the front... and then what? Where do I pick that signal up from?