• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Magellan eXplorist TRX 7 Offroad GPS

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
$581 on Amazon. Liked a lot of the features. The terrain maps shown on screen weren't that impressive but that may not have been the best resolution. May be easier to use for the non-techie types.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Expensive and limited to offroad trail GPS only. FWIW, there are other less expensive options out there.

rascole

I have built in GPS in my Pioneer head unit but it is useless off road. I like the tablet design because I will rarely go hiking with it other that short trips to explore and I usually take my 13" laptop with me but it is too big to use while driving. What other options are comparable?

DeMo180A

I'm looking at off-road GPS systems too. ABNTROOP recommended Motion-X GPS (which I've used in the past for hiking and it's great). There's also an app I'm considering called PathAway. They've been around for a while, are cheaper than Motion-X (yearly renewal required) and they both work on my iPhone - so I don't need a different mounting system in my H3.
http://www.pathaway.com/#activity-offroad
http://gps.motionx.com
Let me know what you decide and how it works for you. I'd be curious to know.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had several offroad GPS units and they sometimes lose their signal offroad also, especially in canyons or mountainous areas.

Woodtick

I'm on the fence on getting a hand held GPS. It would need it to do hiking, snowmobiling , ATV,and off road in the truck. No cell service in the area I go. Been using a fold up map and a compass and always find my way out. Not looking to spend $600 to $1000. My buds have them,but I'm not that spendy of a guy. Has anything hit the market for $300 and works?

DeMo180A

I'm gonna try Motion X with an external antenna. I can download the maps i want directly to my phone, so it won't need cell phone coverage to simply track where I am. If I'm wrong and it doesn't work, I'm out $100. If I go big and I don't like the product I'm out hundreds. Again, the guy I bought my H3 from, ABNTROOP did some pretty good off-wheeling when he owned this rig, so I text him, and he had nothing but good things to say about Motion-X GPS. =)

SuperBuickGuy

I have a Pioneer head unit too, using MapSource or even Garmin GPX files and it works great off-road. The biggest issue is you need to download it to a sim card and install it behind the screen. My wife has a Kenwood that uses the same system. The only real limitation is you have to do your mapping on a computer then put it on the card for use - you cannot (I should say, I haven't found a way) to modify the route guidance within the map program when you're running it on the stereo. I use the GPS in my phone to run my normal mapping/etc - you don't need cell service for the Android GPS to work.

With that said, google maps gives you most roads off-road. When I was down at Elbe OHV park, most of the trails were on Google maps.... not topography, but it was there

As for handheld. I only buy Garmin (and have 8 or 9 of them in various forms from mid-level to high end dog-trailing ones).... I buy only one type because the map software can be downloaded onto my computer and put in all the various handhelds without any real trouble or thought.... point is, stick with either GPX files (garmin) or .... name escaping me... the other company that has maps (there's only 2 sources currently)...

As for recommendation - I like the Garmin 64st... that's roughly $300 and includes maps (which is normally another $100).... what's really cool about that one is it is super-easy to share routes between Garmin handhelds - a super-big-deal when you're doing SAR and you want to combine data between various groups... it's literally a highlight and click to share...

and I hestitate and add it as an edit meaning it could go away I've played with the Magellan and think that it's a poor substitute for the Lowrance mapping. the Lowrance is so easy to use, so easy to program on the fly, and so intuitive that the Magellan seems clunky. If I'd never used the Lowrance, I'm not sure I'd have the same criticism. I don't have Lowrance in my vehicles because I don't race - for me I simply need to know approximately where I am and if I need specific information, I can wait for my Garmin(s) to boot up and be exact.

Last edited:

deserth3

Magellan support sucks. Several years ago I had a Magellan that gave wrong directions.
It would tell you to prepare to take a right. Repeat take a right as you got closer. Then as you pass the exit it would say take a left, recalculating.....
I emailed support. They told me that was impossible and wanted to know what intersections it happened at. So I told them.
Then I got an email saying the location doesn't matter and to please refer to their *** for any further problems.
I went out and bought a Garmin. No problems since.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

DeMo180A

I have a Pioneer head unit too, using MapSource or even Garmin GPX files and it works great off-road. The biggest issue is you need to download it to a sim card and install it behind the screen. My wife has a Kenwood that uses the same system. The only real limitation is you have to do your mapping on a computer then put it on the card for use - you cannot (I should say, I haven't found a way) to modify the route guidance within the map program when you're running it on the stereo. I use the GPS in my phone to run my normal mapping/etc - you don't need cell service for the Android GPS to work.

With that said, google maps gives you most roads off-road. When I was down at Elbe OHV park, most of the trails were on Google maps.... not topography, but it was there

As for handheld. I only buy Garmin (and have 8 or 9 of them in various forms from mid-level to high end dog-trailing ones).... I buy only one type because the map software can be downloaded onto my computer and put in all the various handhelds without any real trouble or thought.... point is, stick with either GPX files (garmin) or .... name escaping me... the other company that has maps (there's only 2 sources currently)...

As for recommendation - I like the Garmin 64st... that's roughly $300 and includes maps (which is normally another $100).... what's really cool about that one is it is super-easy to share routes between Garmin handhelds - a super-big-deal when you're doing SAR and you want to combine data between various groups... it's literally a highlight and click to share...

and I hestitate and add it as an edit meaning it could go away I've played with the Magellan and think that it's a poor substitute for the Lowrance mapping. the Lowrance is so easy to use, so easy to program on the fly, and so intuitive that the Magellan seems clunky. If I'd never used the Lowrance, I'm not sure I'd have the same criticism. I don't have Lowrance in my vehicles because I don't race - for me I simply need to know approximately where I am and if I need specific information, I can wait for my Garmin(s) to boot up and be exact.

What trails did you hit at Elbe? That's where I was thinking of going. I checked out their Facebook page and it looks pretty crazy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elbe-Hills-ORV-Park/217101138323276 broken 4x4 dotting the trails...I want to wheel my H3, not wreck it!

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I use Garmin Montana 600, great for geocaching bring u with in 20ft of gps coordinates. U can upload most of maps. Take pics at location and save them with pin. Has most of offroad trail and can be configured to different styles ( on road, offroad, as bird flys). The only problem looses satellite signal from time to time, but continues the track when restarted. Mounts in car cratel and removable for handheld application.

SuperBuickGuy

What trails did you hit at Elbe? That's where I was thinking of going. I checked out their Facebook page and it looks pretty crazy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elbe-Hills-ORV-Park/217101138323276 broken 4x4 dotting the trails...I want to wheel my H3, not wreck it!

I have no idea the name, but they were the 'easiest' trails. they aren't kidding, though, about the requirement of 35s... and good skids. I'll throw this out there, next time we head out; I'll PM you. Next time, I hope, will be with my FJ40 - so it could get a bit wild (it's on 38.5s)

SuperBuickGuy

I use Garmin Montana 600, great for geocaching bring u with in 20ft of gps coordinates. U can upload most of maps. Take pics at location and save them with pin. Has most of offroad trail and can be configured to different styles ( on road, offroad, as bird flys). The only problem looses satellite signal from time to time, but continues the track when restarted. Mounts in car cratel and removable for handheld application.

I have an Oregon - same thing(ish) - and I love it. The best part is the ability to share trails between compatible devices.

DeMo180A01

I have no idea the name, but they were the 'easiest' trails. they aren't kidding, though, about the requirement of 35s... and good skids. I'll throw this out there, next time we head out; I'll PM you. Next time, I hope, will be with my FJ40 - so it could get a bit wild (it's on 38.5s)

I'm heading out there on Thursday. I'll let you know what I tackle. I'll have my wife and kid in the child seat so it's not going to be nuts.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I have a Lowrance GPS unit mounted to a Ram mount in my H3T. I also use it for MPH since my speedo is off after the diff regear to 4:56 and the 35" MTs.