• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Play in the steering wheel

waldojim42

Probationary Member
Hey, I have a bit of play in the steering I thought I would ask about. Took it to the local shop, and all they could do was guess that the rack needed replaced.

I have seen bits and pieces from the various forums about the bushings and rack mount being the root cause of their problems. Is there a way to identify which is actually the problem I am dealing with, so that I am not just throwing parts at it?

The specific symptoms are about a 1~2" dead spot in the steering wheel that isn't really noticeable until up to speed. Anything over 35 and I notice it, but it becomes more of a problem over 55. In the past, I had seen other mentions of the steering column being the source. I replaced the entire column as well - upper and lower.

Thanks in advance.

4speedfunk

Check the steering rack bushings & clamp, where the rack bolts to the frame. You'll need to have someone turn the wheel about a 1/4 turn in each direction from center...while you lay underneath and see if the rack is moving side-to-side. This is a very common problem with the H3 and there are several companies that make upgrade bushings & clamps >>>http://www.outfitterdesign.com/steering-rack-reinforcement-kit.html

Here's a couple videos that show what to look for...

Before>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ospTKfHL9s
After>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdy-xHvt6nQ

RamRod

Also check the three bushings on the front diff... mine were worn and gave me play in the steering which surprised me to be honest!

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
It's definitely the steering shaft because I have the same play and don't have the rest of the OEM steering setup. Not saying bushing on rack aren't bad, but the shaft is known to have problems. There used to be an aftermarket manufacturer that made one to solve the issue.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

4speedfunk

Borgeson makes all the parts you need to make your own steering shaft. I've made a couple for SAS customers. I actually prefer the GM shaft, however.

waldojim42

Probationary Member
Ok, the upper and lower steering column were both replaced. I assume that is the shaft you guys are referring to when you say steering shaft. If I am wrong, please let me know.

This weekend I will be changing the transmission fluids, so I will check everything out then and post back.

rsm688

Check the bolt that attaches the lower shaft to the steering box. If it is not on there all the way and the bolt is not snug you will have some slack in your steering. I had that issue after swapping in a new rack and it about drove me nuts trying to figure out what the issue was. I pulled the bolt, made sure it was in the notch good and snugged it down and most all the slack went away. I still have a little slack in there and am just guessing it's an old worn shaft joints but was light years better after getting the bolt right