• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Oct 2015 Moab Black Sheep Week - it's official!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Okay, seems like there's some good interest in going to Moab this fall. The dates are Saturday, October 3 - Sat, October 10. All are welcome - run what you brung! Stock Hummers can do many trails in Moab but it's recommended to have undercarriage protection, rocker protection, good tires (33s are fine), a few spare parts and tools to perform fixes.

Most importantly, go have some fun! Great people, great trails and a great host in Neo.
:neo:

The meeting place is usually the Outpost, aka Neo's. PM Neo for information on getting there if it's your first visit.

Many lodging options are available from campgrounds to hotels. Motel 6 is a common favorite - newish, clean and one of the better rates in tow. Come and go on whatever dates work for you.

I'll maintain a list at the bottom of this post so sign up and I'll add your name.

# in PartyAttendeesVehicleLodgingConfirmed?Arrival/Departure DatesHAM call signState
1NeoHMC2OutpostYPermanentUT
1F5MoabSilveradoPassing thruYID

As it happens, my wife and I are planning on being in Moab mountain biking on exactly that week with our lightly modified H3 alpha. We were hoping to run some of the easy, but scenic trails... Especially if we could tag along with a group that knew the area and how to stay within the limits of what a near stock rig can do.

What trails are recommended?

Looking to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
You would be surprised where a slightly modified H3 can go! I lived there for six years, and my H3 was lightly modified with different tires (33"), undercarriage and rock rail protection. Front end leveled and that was about it.
You can easily do Hell's Revenge, Fins and Things, Klondike, 7 Mile, and even Steel Bender and a few others.

For scenic easy trails....
Dome plateau has some great views and many ways in...
Dome-Plateau-Rainbow1_zpss8h25l4p.jpg~original

And a great place to go camping for a night...
Dome-Plateau-Stars-2_zpstbm5zdig.jpg~original

Almost all the trails in Moab are scenic....

Highatop

We will not be able to make this trip. Have to go help my sista back east and Steven is workin. I or maybe even we will make the spring run for sure. So, you all will have to bring your own cookies and goldfish this time.

Have fun, be safe and take lots of pics

Amazing pictures F5 and thanks for the trail tips and local knowledge. Getting to Moab has always been a "someday" for me and this year it's going to happen. It's been years since I last did a road trip, so this will be epic. I was secretly hoping the timing would be right for a hummer meet up so to have Black Sheep Moab on the exact right week is too good. "Hey honey, how 'bout this remarkable vacation coincidence....."

I've done a number of mods to my rig this year already, but my theme is "adventure rig to take us and Doberman to Mountain Bike, Ski, Hike and Sea Kayak." Ripped up, semi abandoned Gravel Fire Service Roads - for sure. Full bore off-road trail? Not so much.

The good for Moab mods - Goodyear 305's, bilstien 5160/5100, levelled, retrofit HID - and just now pulling the trigger on Scarsman's armour.

The good for somewhere else mods: rails with moulded in steps (beloved loves these most of all, and she drives the thing more than me), fender flares (305's on a rainy day rival a slasher film festival for splatter).

I guess I could trim the excess lip material in the flares to improve clearance - but it might not be enough to clear the 305's. I could also gain a couple of inches without the steps, but that means losing side rail protection. Maybe we just stick to the chicken lines where possible and clear what we can clear. Open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highatop

^ You will be fine, there are alotta bypasses and you can make the trials as hard as you want. Plus, you will be w/ Black Sheep, they will point you in the right direction. Their a good group and alotta support.
Good luck and have fun

backcountryislife

We'll be out on the weekend of the 3rd with some buddies, trying to figure out how to bring bikes & Jeep in same tow. Might just trailer the bikes behind the Heep... we'll see.

Worst case we'll do bikes the first weekend, then Heep the next weekend!

abearden

This year is chaos. Month after the Spring Black Sheep Week I got thrust into the fun and joy of the independent world so won't be out while I get things stabilized. Hopefully setting up to make it all the time eventually!

Silverton34

Well this looks like a bit of a wash. I just cleared my schedule for next week and plan to be in Denver Sunday night, 10/04. I'm then open to wheeling anywhere in Colorado for the week. If no other ideas surface I will head for the Ouray area Monday morning and spend the week bumming around the Colorado trails. I could be convinced to go to Moab but haven't spent time in Colorado for a while. It appears I will be traveling with only my dog for a co-pilot. Is anyone up for some Colorado trails?

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Make sure to stop into Silverton; after all they named the city after you...didn't they?:giggle:

If I still had the H3, I would join you. I live those trails in Ouray....but the only trail the Silverado could do, without damage, is Animas north out of Silverton.

Have a good time.

Panzer07

Is anybody from SoCal be making this trip to Moab...and if so if they would be kind enough and don't mind to haul my T-Case On your way back, that I purchase from one of the forum members located in Utah.
Thanks.

Torres

Neo

Badfish
T-case arrived today, Thanks Dave :cheers: i'm insanely busy and won't have much time this week... But on the bright side i unloaded two log truck loads today:wink:

Neo

Badfish
this is fine, just hope i have time and some help, might have to wait till April to put things back together. had a front output yoke take a crap on me today on the Yanmar so only rear wheel drive for the tractor till i can get that replaced. had to drag about 40 logs off a truck with the Chevy today... it never ends :giggle:

Zach

Mall Crawler
Definitely out, head is still spinning from month end/first of month. Way too busy to get away. Hoping April

Highatop

^ I could help out too in April if need be wrenchin, wheelin and drinkin. I'm up for all. Let me know if you need anything from here. Good luck w/ your tractor. See you in April...

backcountryislife

Did anyone make it this weekend? Stopped by a couple times but nobody around!

Had a killer weekend but was hoping to see some folks!

Just remember folks... if you don't go to Moab, you're gonna have a bad time. ;)

12087031_10205310795471463_8221885081463960608_o.jpg

12096573_10205310899514064_9074923166125391231_n.jpg

12034299_10205310795591466_3192278417450318828_o.jpg

12068891_10205310902594141_4576883982745498776_o.jpg

12140844_10205310902754145_4899014382903054739_n.jpg

Debating on going back out next weekend, our snowmobile industry show is next weekend, kind of important for us, but being in Moab might just be more importanter. :D