• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

BEC connector (offroad/clearance lights)

JPaul

Does anyone happen to know, or know how to find out, what connector is used for the OEM offroad and clearance lights for hooking the wiring into the BEC? I'd really like to use the existing fuse positions in the BEC for my own setup later on rather than cobbling together something else (it'd be so much cleaner using stuff the factory has already provided).

I've tried searching around but can't seem to come up with anything. I assume it's probably a fairly standard connector, I just have no idea which one.

BTW, if you ever want something that is incredibly awesome for having factory type wiring for goodies, get a police interceptor, fuse boxes under the hood, in the glove compartment, and in the trunk. Hook anything up anywhere on those cars. I had one for a while and had such plans for it, especially since I am a Ham. But I love my H3, so no worries.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Dumb question, but what's a BEC? If it helps, I have the original GM off road light installation/wiring instructions. If you want a copy, send me your email address.

JPaul

Bussed Electrical Center, the fusebox by the battery. Sorry, acronyms. :)

I've looked at the instructions someone posted on here a while back (might've been you Bigunit) and it doesn't give any specifics, just says to plug the 8-pin connector into the underside of the BEC. I've got how it all hooks up figured out, it's finding that connector that I am interested in.

I can't find a pic or any details on the connector itself, I just know that it comes with the roof mounted OEM offroad lights and clearance lights and I think the front off road lights use it as well. Something else uses it at least.

I can pull my BEC up to try and see what the female portion looks like at least, but it'd be a lot easier if I could find a pic of the male connector itself (the connector that is part of the wiring included with the offroad/clearance lights) to try and cross reference with. I imagine someone somewhere makes a replacement connector.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
This one?
6199908de660b3e0c97f1f97b8f4c625.jpg

JPaul

Yep, that's it!

Does there happen to be a part # stamped on the connector itself? Nothing comes up for the GM part # on the tag in Google.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I will check for a part number stamped connector. I didn't see one on the first pass through. I'll take and post a couple more pics and see if that helps.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Here are some pics of the connector to help you in your search. No part number stamped on the connector itself.
1630df7272b6d12150698899f2cdc0ca.jpg
4152e1a8814fd95edf94c80021c1cd35.jpg
e88688aa60da8911e8762b6efd96ca21.jpg
bb4bce5153146646bfa155b96ab34b54.jpg

JPaul

Seems that connector was used for a number of applications/vehicles. The most complex of which was the amplified radio on Cadillac's and other GM cars. I actually found a cross reference of all the vehicles that used that connector. Unfortunately they are all new enough that finding one in a junkyard in Utah is extremely unlikely. (oldest was 2006 Cadillac CTS 4 door). But hey, it was also used in the 2008-2009 Hummer H2's! No idea where, but somewhere.

JPaul

Hum, seems to not be the same as the one part # I found, the little alignment bars are slightly different. That one you showed has both of them at the very edge of the connector, while the one I found has one at the edge and one slightly offset from the edge, maybe a tenth of an inch.

Still though, that gives me more to go off of, thanks!

JPaul

Huzzah! I think I found it.

PT2094

Application list, which includes all years of the H3:
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products...ner-Seat-Belt-Wiring-Ju/3101133/88988653.html

And some for sale:
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PT2094-Original-Equipment-Multi-Purpose/dp/B005OVAEC4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Seat-Harness-Connector-Standard-S-1427-/171546589311

That is MUCH cheaper, which is even better.

Now to figure out what actually gets broken out at that connector. This will make wiring up addons like lights and whatnot to the H3 a lot easier and cleaner.

woodwardsh3

PT2094

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products...ner-Seat-Belt-Wiring-Ju/3101133/88988653.html

And some for sale:
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PT2094-Original-Equipment-Multi-Purpose/dp/B005OVAEC4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Seat-Harness-Connector-Standard-S-1427-/171546589311

Now to figure out what actually gets broken out at that connector. This will make wiring up addons like lights and whatnot to the H3 a lot easier and cleaner.

THE one with the yellow wires looks to be the same as my 2010 impala, auto shift lock. most gm dealers have this in stock as the wires are breaking and leaving you unable to shift the car out of park.

JPaul

So here is what I have figured out so far. I used the wiring schematics for a 2008 H3 from Schwarttzy's site and found everything for pins 1-5: http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Hummer-H3-Wiring-2008.pdf
I also checked the schematic for the 2006 and found the circuit pins 6 and 7 are connected to. Still no idea what pin 8 hooks to, and I haven't confirmed all of these fully work, though the only one I question is pin 4.

X5 (under fuse center in engine bay, used by factory offroad/clearance lights/etc)

Pin - Wire color - Application - Fuse name - Fuse # - Amperage:
1 (Red) - Clearance lights (Front Park, Fuse 43 - 10A) - Switched with parking lamps
2 (Light Blue) - Grille Lamps Relay coil feed (SPO, Fuse 10 - 10A) - Switched with key on

• other side of circuit is Lt Green that goes to offroad switch (blunt cut in engine bay and under dash?)
  • Brown wire from switch to relay and lamps (also a blunt cut wire from engine bay to under dash?)
3 (Red) - Roof mount offroad lights (Roof LP, Fuse 4 - 20A) - Feeds both the relay coil and the lights power, Always hot

• other side of circuit is Black/White that goes to offroad switch (blunt cut in engine bay and under dash?)
  • Orange wire from switch to relay and lamps (also a blunt cut wire from engine bay to under dash?)
4 (N/A) - Air Compressor? (AIR CMPRSR, Fuse 11 - 25A) - Always hot
5 (Dark Blue) - Grille lamps power (Grille Guard, Fuse 2 - 20A) - Always hot

• feeds to relay, other side of circuit is brown wire mentioned above
6 (N/A) (SPO, Fuse 10 - 10A) - same circuit as Grille Lamps Relay coil feed, Switched with key on
7 (N/A) (SPO, Fuse 10 - 10A) - same circuit as Grille Lamps Relay coil feed, Switched with key on
8 Not connected

Last edited:

JPaul

woodwardsh3, when you say the wires are breaking, where and how are they breaking? Seems strange wire would just break without being constantly flexed or kinked against something.

JPaul

Well, I ordered the connector assembly off Amazon, it'll be here next Tuesday, hopefully I'll have some time to make sure it works. I am pretty well prepped to install my spot lamps on the winch fairlead, got some Deutsch DT waterproof connectors installed and a wiring harness setup for it. Just need the connector for the fuse center, a switch, and a 1.25" hole saw to install the grommet in the firewall.

woodwardsh3

woodwardsh3, when you say the wires are breaking, where and how are they breaking? Seems strange wire would just break without being constantly flexed or kinked against something.

Yes the plug end moves as it is connected to the shiftier handle. Every time you move the shiftier all the wires move with it.

JPaul

Oh, ok. That makes sense. The application I am using it for shouldn't be a problem then since it is fixed in place.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

lugantom

PT2094

And some for sale:

You may want to check out what I just posted on the LED Light Bar. Wiring diagrams are available on the web. I found that fuse positions 2 and 10 were the ones used for the grill lights; I don't remember which ones were used for the overhead driving lights, but they are in the diagrams.

Here's the link for my 2008 H3:

http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Hummer-H3-Wiring-2008.pdf

One thing that got me - I did the continuity checks to find the right connection positions in the fuse box / BEC, but only found out AFTER a lot of work that fuse location No. 10 had no power to it. So - my advice - check the power to the position before disconnecting the batter. Then you can do continuity checks to verify which position in the BEC goes to which fuse.

If you go through my light bar thread, you'll see where I mapped out three of the positions on one of the connectors on the BEC, and also found the matching wires on the other side of the firewall. Made for a very clean installation.

JPaul

Why drill through the firewall? Why not use the existing wires that are there already for the lights. Saves on having to drill.

While I'll probably use the existing wires for the lights, I also have plans for a bunch of other stuff that will need access through the firewall (ham and cb radios for example) and I picked up one of these grommets to use:

136.jpg

It'll let me keep adding stuff as I need it and not have to drill any other holes later on.

JPaul

lugantom, I think you missed my post 5 posts before yours where I listed out what all the pins break out to (that I could find in the schematics you linked). I also list what other wires are included in the circuits (like the wires that pass through the firewall to the inside of the vehicle). But thank you for your input. I'll have to take a look at the fuse center when I pull it to what is up with fuse 10.

rascole

While I'll probably use the existing wires for the lights, I also have plans for a bunch of other stuff that will need access through the firewall (ham and cb radios for example) and I picked up one of these grommets to use:

136.jpg

It'll let me keep adding stuff as I need it and not have to drill any other holes later on.
Those are handy, where did you get the?