• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rust prevention/general makntinence

Hummerboy

I've been concerned lately about humidity affecting my guns and I'm really just looking for the best preventive measure against rust. I bought some break free clp and wonder what you guys use as I've become quite concerned as of late about the rust issue. I currently put break free on the slide, then go through bore with hoppes #9. And to the moving parts add some hoppes # 9 oil. Let me know what methods you guys use and if I should be doing anything different. thanks!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frog lube. How do you store your weapons? If in a safe with a golden rod of appropriate size humidity and rust should not be an issue. Location of the safe is important also. One of my buddies had his safe in the garage( non conditioned air) between his water heater and washer and dryer. That is not a great place for it.

Hummerboy

Frog lube. How do you store your weapons? If in a safe with a golden rod of appropriate size humidity and rust should not be an issue. Location of the safe is important also. One of my buddies had his safe in the garage( non conditioned air) between his water heater and washer and dryer. That is not a great place for it.

I keep a few in the safe with a Remington dehumidifier. But to be honest I keep most of my guns out on a rack I built so I can access them easier. All of this is in my room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rollerlocked

I found that the remington finish sucks. I purchased 3 remington 870's , and two remington 700's, these were brand new. I found if you hunt the used gun section and purchase older remington's, the finish is better , look for the glossy finish it holds up better . If its other brands your talking about or in general , I use hoppes for cleaning / solvent , then apply thin coat of clenzoil on all metal surfaces.

Last edited:
I know they sell an air tight sealing bag that you can insert your weapon into after lubing, and it will keep it both protected and rust proof, I guess the only problem is if you need to use it quickly, you have to remove it from the seal tight bag first.

USMC_315

Is rust an issue if you carry daily? How would you prevent this, cleaning it weekly? I'm not of age to conceal carry yet, but just curious

LoJac963

Not very humid here in AZ but I usually give them a good spray with Rem oil and wipe them down then put each one in a gun sock. Eventually I will add a dehumidifier to my new gun safe once it arrives.

Kurt

I had my guns transferred back to me when I moved back, and they were in storage for 3 years. No rust issues, did a function check and range test on all of them [my scopes are still zeroed in :)]. The only bit of rust I found was on a 10/22 magazine on the feed lips but I just sanded it off.

Before I put my guns in storage, I cleaned them and used Hopps 9, but I'll be adding frog lube to my cleaning/maintenance kit.

Good note about not storing them near washer/dryers/water heaters and other sources of humidity.

CaseyS

Is rust an issue if you carry daily? How would you prevent this, cleaning it weekly? I'm not of age to conceal carry yet, but just curious

So you can serve your country and are probably more trained with firearms than 99.5% of the population yet you cannot carry a gun around. What the hell is wrong with this picture?

Off my soapbox, thank you for your service.