• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Photography

Hunner

Here is the place I have used several times to have large prints made. I was a bit skeptical at first since I have always printed all my own pictures in the lab and now have several large format computer printers, up to 13 x 19. I did not choose the color correction as I wanted them to be printed as I had them in the file I sent. You have to download their uploader but I will say I was very impressed with the quality and service.
I may have mentioned before but I bought cheap frames at walmart for posters and hung my favorite H3 shots in the shop so I can day dream about past and future trips.
Just got an email on a 40% sale on big enlargements 16 x 20 and over. 20 x 30 for $14.40 seems cheap to me!
http://www.nationsphotolab.com/prints.htm
DAH_3770.jpg

Dang it's time for spring clean up, again!

Last edited:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Right now I am using a Kodak Playsport 5mp (no flash, very few settings) to take stills and they are not very good. Here's a question for you photo-buffs: I am interested in a low-cost, high-end camera. Are these two qualities mutually exclusive?

Said differently: I give you about $200 to spend on a camera -- what do you buy?

nugget

I started with a Nikon D60 then moved to the D90 for the extra function buttons. Have been really happy with it but ing to the groin in quicksand in a creek on a recent trip...3 times...and just saving the camera each time, I decided it would be a good idea to carry a back up. Just happened to give me a chance to upgrade to a D700 which I on received yesterday. Completly different set up so I have a few long nights with the manual ahead of me.

salvator rose 0185.jpg

Hunner

Whoa moved up to the big gun full frame!
To refresh, my first slr digital was the 70 when it came out. Cameras have come along way since then.
I'm keeping the D200 for backup and the D300 has most of what I need. I went ahead and invested in some exclusive DX lenses to get more mm's for the money. Plus I still use 40 years worth of manual lenses I already have if needed. I'm finding I can sell those for a lot more than I paid for them and invest in DX, newer auto lenses.
What DX lenses did you have that will work on the full frame without vignetting?
Stinker you pulled the EXIF file, what lens do you have on the D700?

Hans3T, I would have to look around to see what is out there before I could recommend something you might want. I would suggest if you are going to use it in "Off-road" conditions, consider one that is at least weather proof. Dust and dirt are killers! Moisture does not help either.
Nowdays there are choices and higher pixels than before. Get one good enough to have a glass lens, not plastic sub level quality. Not necessarily expensive slr but a fixed lens with optical zoom not digital zoom which usually results in less quality.
I had some others ask me that around here so I will look at what is out there.
Before you buy I would test shoot one in a camera store, have them upload a full file to your email and go home and inspect the results.
I have xtra memory cards and when I shop for lenses I always take one in and shoot some tests then look at them on my computer and monitor thru my software to compare the quality to what I know is good.
Then if they won't meet you part way on price online, order that sucker that you like best.
I googled Nikon weather proof and came up with some but have not had time to evaluate. Reviews by individuals can vary a lot.
That is why you should read professional reviews and test fire one. This is just the first thing I saw, if it checks out I may get me one for foul weather conditions while sailing. If I test one I will let you know what I find out.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/8/24/nikonaw100
Must be popular they are temp out.
I buy a whole lot of camera stuff from this place and never had a problem.
They don't come in Barney color but they have orange!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818679-REG/Nikon_26290_Coolpix_AW100_Waterproof_Digital.html
I'm sure someone will post up about the GOPro, I think it is 11 megapixel, but I have not shot one.

Last edited:

Pappibri

And I spent some time in Monument valley with an Indian guide
All F5 shots with either Fuji Velvia or Provia...
The crotch shot (Ear of the Wind arch)
MVEAROFTHEWINDARCHWEB.jpg

Moccasin Arch
AOLMVMoccasinArch-1.jpg

Hogan arch
AOLMVHoganArch.jpg

Somewhere in Monument Valley
AOLMVLandscape8X.jpg

MVReflectionsX.jpg

And of course the most photographed of Monument valley...the Mittens. Heck there were at least a dozen people standing there with tripods...
mittens.jpg
Awesome Pictures.. The clarity and depth are amazing.. So I see you have a F5 camera, I assume that is where the first part of your username comes in. Anyways really awesome pictures..

LagunaH1

I am interested in a low-cost, high-end camera. Are these two qualities mutually exclusive?

Said differently: I give you about $200 to spend on a camera -- what do you buy?

Pretty much exclusive, yes. I'd look on ebay for a used / refurb'ed Nikon D40. The D40 might only be 6 MP but it always made *really* good photos with even a basic lens. Go look at www.kenrockwell.com -He's quite opinionated about cameras and lenses, megapixels, resolution etc. There are varying opinions about ken Rockwell and what he says, but in my opinion he does understand the basics very well and as such his opinion is interesting.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Here is the place I have used several times to have large prints made. I was a bit skeptical at first since I have always printed all my own pictures in the lab and now have several large format computer printers, up to 13 x 19. I did not choose the color correction as I wanted them to be printed as I had them in the file I sent. You have to download their uploader but I will say I was very impressed with the quality and service.
I may have mentioned before but I bought cheap frames at walmart for posters and hung my favorite H3 shots in the shop so I can day dream about past and future trips.
Just got an email on a 40% sale on big enlargements 16 x 20 and over. 20 x 30 for $14.40 seems cheap to me!
http://www.nationsphotolab.com/prints.htm
DAH_3770.jpg

Dang it's time for spring clean up, again!

Hunner, i like how your garage looks!! It looks sweet!!

nugget

What DX lenses did you have that will work on the full frame without vignetting?
Stinker you pulled the EXIF file, what lens do you have on the D700?

The DX lens only "half work" with the D700 as you only get half resolution which I discovered reading the finer print after I bought the D700 body. Thinking I will go a 24-70 f2.8 as a starter.

Hunner

Ah you found the thread.
Yea the DX format multiplies the effective mm by 1.5x. You still get the resolution just less mm for the buck.
I checked out a friends 24-70. He wanted me to see how it looked to me shot on my D300 and on my computer so I could compare.
He shoots a D700 and had nothing to compare it to. I think that is a fairly sharp lens.
The best short lens I found is the 55-17 DX G ED glass I tried several at the store and this is the sharpest I could find. But it's DX and a big honker.
I checked out a 16-85 they came out with after that trying to get a bit more reach in a walkaround lens.
It's not a gold ring lens but is DX G with ED glass. If I pixel peep at 100% I see some loss of sharpness but normally I can't tell much difference and have some 20 x 30's from it and at a reasonable viewing distance, twice the diagonal measurement they look fairly darn good.
Some of the DX lenses will work on full frame without vignetting but that also means they are using the sweet spot towards the center of the lens. No advantage to you if you don't already have some DX lenses.
The only really noticeable difference I see in the D700 "for my use" is that it can shoot low light with less picture noise. It is a workhorse and very good sensor and of course does have some more features.
I kept my D200 when upgrading to the D300 so I got all the guns I need and invested in more glass.
I have the 70-200 VR and a 80-400 but I get 1.5 times those focal lengths.
Wide angle I chose the 12-24 DX gold ring G ED glass
I have a couple others that I got back when I bought the D200 and use them at times on that camera.
I look forward to more of your Road Trips. I need to get out again in the spring, just don't know where yet.

Last edited:

Hunner

I see now we did keep this thread and discussed part of that.
I was going to comment on photography that we got off on in your recent trip report down Beadell Hwy.
I don't know if you got the info from your mentor or may have already known this but those converters eat light by as much as the magnification factor. Ok outside in full sunlight but can push you into large apertures at times. That can in my opinion reduce the quality of the images with the combination. I have used some in years past of other brands that were bad about vignetting on some lenses. I tried both the Nikon ones and on further study found people that did use them and decided on the 1.7 for best results
I decided because of the price of the Nikon ones, which would be the only ones I would even try, I would just buy another lens.
I have one of the early 80-400 that used to seem slow to focus on the D70 that got better on the D200 and even sweeter on the D300. With practice it can be used for wildlife, unless they are really streaking and then you can grab manual focus.
Check out post 35 for results.
That lens requires the camera to drive the autofocus before they put the motors in the lens. The newer bodies handle it better.
There were some deals on the old model used for awhile but it seems the price, like most things went back up as the newer bodies made it more functional. It does not like converters and loses autofocus and VR when trying to use them.
But, hey with an effective focal length on DX, you get 600mm which is what I used on the moon. Well I didn't go there but got close!

I don't like the results I have seen when using the converters. Some people seem to accept the ab-orations. It also seems to me they reduce the depth of field quit a bit. Just me but see if you can "test" one if you can. You may be able to rent one. I read lots of reviews but until you see an image you shot on your monitor or printed side by side it is sometimes hard to evaluate.
I have different profiles for different lenses because I see a shift in color depending on focal length at the extremes. But then what else do I have to do?

Last edited:

Kyle

Just found this thread, i shoot with a nikon d3100 with an 18-200 lens (see scv wheeling thread for pics). I have taking millions of photos and use aperture to edit them or light room. Also have photoshop, But i use that when ive taken christmas photos or done photo-shoots for people. All my other non off-roading pictures are on facebook, I need to find a website where i can post all of them up! Any suggestions?

Hunner

I tried a couple of snotty Nikon sites and one paid sight and then found out about Photobucket and sort of stuck to that. I only use it as a private storage to get links to post on the forum. You can of course select which folders you want to be public. I know there are others but I am currently using this for free as I mostly ignore the commercials. Maybe if they change a few things I would bump it to the paid version.
I was in a hurry when I first logged on and just uploaded most things to one large folder. Not good, now I can't re-organize with out breaking or changing the links to already posted photos. It just got updated and I need to make certain but I'm pretty sure it has to be that way.
So whatever you choose set up some sub folders.
I have almost 2000 Hummer related images on there. It seems to be even faster now once you get used to the newer format.
A high speed connection helps. I have it reduce my images to 800 x 600 for the forum so I don't have to resize them all and add files to my hardrive.
I mostly have my camera set up to shoot for the results I like. I don't do much post processing.
I spent over 28 years working in photo labs in the dark and learned to be consistent in my shooting to avoid a lot of correction later.
But it sure is nice to finally start to use digital most all the time now and manipulate things sitting in a nice office chair in a semi darkened room.
I still like ACDSee for how fast it is and will do most of the things I may need to correct.
I use the Pro 5 version but see an updated version 6 at a deep discount for an upgrade I will look into.

Last edited:

nugget

Yep hunner..as with all these things there are pro's and cons. I can not justify the cost of the AFS 300 and 400 lens for the limited use i have for them.

I agree on the 2X...but as I said in the other thread, I am going to see hoe I go with the 70-200 on the D90 and will then go to the 1.7 if I need the extra reach. My tutor is a wildlife photographer and he uses the 1.7 when he needs it. From his advice and all the reviews I have read, the nikon 1.7 and the nikon 70-200 work very well together and give excellent results.

Got a new singlet for Xmas from one of my daughters which I thought you might like to see.

xmas2012105post_zps9438107c.jpg

Steve #1

I have a Sony Alpha a57. I've only had it a few months but I'm very happy with it but ready to branch out past the kit lens. While some may give the Alphas flack for not being true DSLRs, they can hold their own with the comparable Cannons and Nikons, and much better with video.

I have Photoshop but rarely use it and store on Flickr. Technically Flickr doesn't allow you to "host" photos but they don't give you flack for posting one here and there.

This was off the cuff while driving but I like it. I should trim out the side mirror.

8228375204_351cb69f12_b.jpg

Action shot.
8337776714_d7c5e59347_b.jpg

Hunner

Yep hunner..as with all these things there are pro's and cons. I can not justify the cost of the AFS 300 and 400 lens for the limited use i have for them.

I agree on the 2X...but as I said in the other thread, I am going to see hoe I go with the 70-200 on the D90 and will then go to the 1.7 if I need the extra reach. My tutor is a wildlife photographer and he uses the 1.7 when he needs it. From his advice and all the reviews I have read, the nikon 1.7 and the nikon 70-200 work very well together and give excellent results.

Got a new singlet for Xmas from one of my daughters which I thought you might like to see.
I tried the 1.7 on the 70-200 but I already had the 80-400 so held off on that for now.
I also tried a Tokina a friend had with fairly good results but to me still showed a magnifying glass type effect. I guess that is what it is!

What a fine looking couple, and happy.
Ahh yes your line of clothing is expanding, so to speak.:shifty:

Last edited:

Kurt

I have a Sony Alpha a57. I've only had it a few months but I'm very happy with it but ready to branch out past the kit lens. While some may give the Alphas flack for not being true DSLRs, they can hold their own with the comparable Cannons and Nikons, and much better with video.

They're true DSLR's and they're quite nice, I'd love to have a Canon body that has IS built into the body, that makes every sony/minolta lens you buy an IS lens although you have to look at the LCD to look at the stabilized image [vs the viewfinder which is un-stabilized].

The lens selection looks decent, the G-range looks equivalent to the Canon L-series range, the Zeiss lens look fantastic. What kind of lens were you thinking of getting? a fast zoom? [24-70 f/2.8] or a fast prime? Wide angle?

I wound up getting a zoom wide for Christmas for my canon, an 16-35mm f/2.8 II-L and I'm having fun with it, great for architecture and landscapes.

Last edited:

spongebobnopants

Quadcopter with mounted GoPro

GoPro Hero 3 Black mounted to DJI Phantom Quadcopter.

Feel free to leave comments or "Like" on youtube.

Can't wait to get this on the trail and in GPS mode to catch some killer video!

I basically unpacked this assembled it, mounted the camera and started flying 5 min to it I crashed....
mecry.gif

[video=youtube;M6wtD1Ga0EM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wtD1Ga0EM&feature=youtu.be[/video]​

Hunner

That's great. Were you in a high speed mode that plays back slow motion. Slower than 30fps. It really added a good flow to the video.
That would be great flying around in Moab and come up over the caravan of vehicles.

I saw some footage where a guy was showing a resort property and flew around and thought of the potential. I do that now in open door planes for industrial sites and other areas. Choppers cost too much. This would save some money for more profit. What altitude is safe to go to and still have control?

spongebobnopants

300 meters with OEM remote. In GPS mode, it has a return home and land feature if your out of range or batteries die in remote. I'll post another one later that I did this morning. Of corse I crashed it again...lol

I'd love to park at "top of the world" and get the chopper over the edge shooting video back. Plus this thing breaks down so small.

So far I'm digging this thing. The video was shot @ 60fps and stabilized in FCPX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I'll attest to the 24-70 F2/8 lens as being sharp, a lot sharper than the older 28-70 F2/8.
The 24-70 is the lens that is always attached to the D700, while the 70-200 F2.8 VR is always attached to the D300. Still have a 18-35 F2.8 Nikkor and a 300mm AFS F4 for those just in case needs.
_DSC0319_Proc_web_zps5c9d46cc.jpg