• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T tubular (like...totally) tailgate...

4speedfunk

I'm fabbing up this pre-runner style spare tire gate for Big Red, and while I'm at it...I'm making a couple more. If any of you T-guys want one...let me know. This probably won't be a regular production item due to the small numbers but, I will have a couple more to sell and I can build em to order if you want one. These photos show the partially finished gate, and there are still some minor tweeks happening to it...and it gets powder-coat of course. It can be "flipped" so the spare is outboard, leaving more room in the bed. Max tire size is 37" (shown). I'll post some more after it is all completed...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Ignore the tube steel laying in the bed...that's just cargo. Also ignore the nasty THORparts bumper. It is getting completely re-worked, including welding-up of the previous side-ways hinging tire gate holes, and several other misc. holes. It is also getting a taller flange to hide the gap of the body lift. The license plate will be mounted on the lower-LH side of the gate, via an LED-lit tubular clamp mount. If the gate gets reversed, you can simply un-clamp it and re-clamp to the opposite side after you flip the gate...leaving no empty holes or un-used tabs. The tire will be anchored by a large 3-prong wing-nut and a tapered urethane plug with a vinyl-coated safety cable (pad-locked), to keep things secure.

Attachments

• dw-1.jpg
    dw-1.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 2,338
  • dw-2.jpg
    dw-2.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 1,729
  • dw-3.jpg
    dw-3.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 1,732
  • hummertime 014.JPG
    hummertime 014.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 2,363
  • hummertime 015.JPG
    hummertime 015.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 2,768
  • hummertime 016.JPG
    hummertime 016.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 1,772
  • hummertime 017.JPG
    hummertime 017.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 1,948
Last edited:

4speedfunk

Thanks guys. This is an idea I have been kicking around in virtual space for quite awhile. I'm finally glad to see it though to a real actual piece. H3T's are still a rare bird around here, and I needed to have full access to one in order to get this thing figured out. Fortunately the huge list of other work on this truck has allowed me to get the gate to this point. It might be another two years before I even see another H3T around here. Answers below...

COST? Not sure yet. That depends largely on how many I make. I'll post up some numbers when I get done negotiating.
OPENING? The way it is now, the gate can be hinged in either direction...during either mounting position. It is not particularly convenient, and its not something I would do unless it was totally necessary. For this reason I plan to use bolts at all four hinge points. My hope is that this will discourage opening it, because it means breaking out the wrenches. Hitch pins could be used instead of bolts and it would make it more convenient but, eventually the rattles will come and I'm trying to keep it as rigid, stiff, and quiet for as long as possible. The four urethane bushings fit the hinge plates very tightly, and I feel that's paramount to keeping it quiet. Threaded hardware instead of pins will also help keep it from developing squeaks. The GM bedsides are not as stiff as I would like, and hanging the open gate off them, is asking a lot...which is another reason I'm trying to discourage regular use. Once it is closed...the whole bed is very rigid.
INSTALL? Re-uses stock tail-gate holes plus a new hole that must be drilled into the jamb on each side. Tube gate can be removed, and stock tailgate can be re-installed in about ten minutes. On this truck, the plastic bedliner was trimmed from the jamb area (in anticipation of a new spray-on liner), but that probably isn't necessary if you want to keep the stock GM drop-in liner.

I will post up some nicer pics (including open shots and reverse mounting shots), after I get it back from the powder-coat oven.

scoreh3

Tiregate makes a rack like yours ( none for the H3T ) that opens easly , maybe you could get a set of their pins to use on yours so it opens.

F

Former User

Holy chit i want to a T just like that, killer fab work and design as well. Look's good. If only i had a reason to buy one :(

frumaker

If you reverse the tire gate with the tire on the outside, what do you do with the license pkate? Is there any way to lock the tiregate?

4speedfunk

The plate is a simple clamp-on, so you can easily move it anywhere you have a 1.75" tube. So if you flip the gate, simply clamp the plate bracket to the other side. Also, the plate can stay mounted to the bumper if you choose.

I have a vinyl-coated cable with loops on each end, to secure the spare to the rack. It also doubles as a safety lanyard should the wing-nut come loose....it will keep a 150 pound tire from becoming a wrecking ball.

Geoanimal

Looks very cool. Also a way to carry an additional spare for those little off road trips. If I didn't already have my dimondback cover I would say sign me up. Right now I have been trying to decide weather or not to buy a roof rack or get one made here locally so I can carry a spare there.

Again very nice look for your rig.

gfbh3t

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Reversed tire on the mount to get some room in the bed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 494
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 479
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 485
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg