• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do to your H2 recently?

USMC_315

I'm running into issues with the 2 again, after having the Alpha I'm not even sure its worth the headache

Last edited:

ADOR

Well, I am here at the Cadillac stealership. Tow truck just dropped off my H2. This is the second time this happened in 2 weeks. The 2 will NOT start. No cranking sound, all lights are on. Two weeks ago, this same thing happened. AAA guy came, tested battery. All good. He stepped in the 2, cranked few times, then BAM! It started. He said it "might be" starter. H2 ran fine since, wel until today after i got off work. It will NOT start again. No crank, no sound. Lights are still on. Im thinking that Pass Lock thing. Who knows. Im here waiting for my ride home. Will come back early tomorrow morning to speak to the technicians. Hopefully, nothing serious and expensive.

Better this to happen now, than during our 2 week road trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks.

Any guess what caused this? And since the 2 is already here, what else do I need to do to prepare for the trip? Have them change spark plugs and all hoses?

Last oil change, they mentioned a "small leak" at the water pump. That was almost 8K miles ago. So far, my coolant level had not gone down. And on my last oil change, nothing wa mentioned about the leak. Is the stealership just trying to make money?

Sorry for the long post. It will be a while before my ride gets here.

USMC_315

Well, I am here at the Cadillac stealership. Tow truck just dropped off my H2. This is the second time this happened in 2 weeks. The 2 will NOT start. No cranking sound, all lights are on. Two weeks ago, this same thing happened. AAA guy came, tested battery. All good. He stepped in the 2, cranked few times, then BAM! It started. He said it "might be" starter. H2 ran fine since, wel until today after i got off work. It will NOT start again. No crank, no sound. Lights are still on. Im thinking that Pass Lock thing. Who knows. Im here waiting for my ride home. Will come back early tomorrow morning to speak to the technicians. Hopefully, nothing serious and expensive.

That sounds exactly like the p.o.s. passkey. I got it replaced in my Alpha over the past weekend, had the same exact issues as you are experiencing. The total cost was around $600 I think and it was done by the Caddy dealer, but thankfully Carmax took care of it for me (as well as the new tires :))

I went through the the same situation a few months back, actually I went through two situations which are related I believe. I the pass key situation where I would turn the key and the truck wouldn't start, the lights went on, but the key would stay stuck in the ignition, not letting me turn off the truck all the way, nor pull out the key. I did the repair myself By removing the front center console where the shifter is located, and attached to the shifter are the wires that some how tell the shifter to release the key when in park. But the wires had become frail as the connector clip is attached to the shifter itself, so the back and forth movement caused two of the wires to slight break. I was able to test the situation because when I did the close I inspection, I saw the wires broken. I twisted them a little to line them up correctly and then lord and hold, the key was able to be turned all the way and removed!!! So I cut, stripped and resodiered them back on, adding some black electrical tape and a small zip tie, to make it nice and snug against the shift.
then the ignition switch went, where I can turn the key all the way, the light light up, and I can turn the key back and remove it, but the truck did Not start!!! So I figured this was the perfect time to add a push to start feature, as added security for the H2, I had my mechanic add the push to start system, that I still have to put my key in, turn it, and then press the hidden push to start button, in order to get the engine to actually start! If anyone needs any details on this system, just ask away or PM.

ADOR

twinmill, I don't have any remote start or after market alarm. While waiting for the tow truck, I googled "starter problem with hummer" and I came across some thread talking about ignition switch issue, fuse #66, will start after 10 minutes., etc. (all about H3 and mostly 2006 model). No replies mentioning H2s. So I really don't know.

I just hope whatever the problem is, that they will be able to fix it. We have booked 3 days camping to Laughlin this weekend, and the long drive is 4 weeks from now.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Let's hope it's a simple problem like ignition switch or battery going bad or starter problem then. Lucky for me the deuce battery took a dump three blocks from O'Reilly auto parts just before I embarked on my cross country trip with the trailer back in October. I had a feeling the battery was starting to go south but hadn't checked it and it seemed to be working with only random glitches. My backup plan on the road is to use the trailer house batteries to jump it off if needed.

ADOR

My car has LowJack. Let say he battery of the lowjack key ring is dead, will that cause the H2 not to start? I will take the other key early tomorrow morning and try to start the 2, while the shop is still close.

USMC_315

turns out I was right, guy says that there was fuel getting into the coolant and the head gasket was indeed screwed. Two of the pistons are warped as well as a couple of the valves...

Last edited:

ADOR

Usmc315, it seems like the 2 of us is having bad luck lately. Just git a call from dealer. They replaced the starter to the tune of $926. Also recommending replacing the water pump for $900+, and all hoses for another $800. Holding off on the last 2 items until i get another quote from non-dealer shop.

With regard to your truck, keeping it or selling it requires you to fix it. Whatever you decide on, good luck. Mine is a keeper. So i jave no other choice but to fix it.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Not exactly what I did TO it, but something I picked up FOR it today. Got a steal of a deal on it off Craigslist.

uploadfromtaptalk1433206824466.jpg

The max psi for the bladder is 10. It took 9 to lift my truck. I couldn't hold the rubber cone on the trail pipe at that pressure. Besides the exhaust hose, it has a normal valve stem for airing it up with a compressor. I used this to do the final lifting of the ground.

uploadfromtaptalk1433207267878.jpg

So for real use I will get it filled up and tight with the exhaust, and then use the compressor to finish the heavy lifting.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Amazing that our trucks were built to conquer obstacles all over the world, but can get hung up on a beach ball.

Plz don't let the jeep owners find out about this, they'll have a field day with it....

Looks more like a pumpkin

Twinmill28... If I told you, I would have to kill you!! lol, next to the over head console were the sunroofs control switches are located!

Scarsman

Sponsor
I swear sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. Started out to slap together a real quick light bar for Big Blue for a set of 4 8" led bars I had . Was just going to do a simple bar across to mount to the tracks. Easy, right? Well, I just simply was not up to the task. One thing led to another and I ended up with something very different from what I started out on.

The lights are all flood, and their patterns overlap plenty. I wanted to angle them out to spread the light out nice and wide, but it just didn't look right. So, since there were 4 lights, I made the bar into a 4 faceted angled bar that follows the curve of the front edge of the roof.

So here is what my simple quick bar turned into. The more I look at it the more I like it.

20150610_100531_zpswjngosxp.jpg

20150610_100512_zpstqyv6hmc.jpg

20150610_100616_zpsdbigaheg.jpg

20150610_100549_zpsvxmcrrk3.jpg

20150610_100635_zpsnoy9nrji.jpg

I know it looks like the lights are too small, or there should be one more, but there's enough room to upgrade to 10" bars, and probably even 12" bars in the future. I'm just using what I have on hand at the moment.

Last edited: