• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

DIC lights: ABS Inop, Serv 4WD, Brake Fluid, etc.

ponchoV8

So from various forums including this one I have attempted to solve this recurring problem with these warning lights that come on almost every time I start my truck now: ABS Inop, Traction Control Failure, Brake Fluid, Stabilitrac Failure, Serv 4WD or whatever annoying combo of lights. In addition to these lights coming on, all of my electrical components like A/C, headlights, windows, mirrors, wipers, 4WD shifter lights will not come on until these DIC lights go away. The truck will also not shift out of park unless I can shift it before these lights come on, but all the electrical components will still shut off, the lights cycle about for a few minutes, then all the electrical stuff magically works again while I'm driving. Meanwhile the truck drives fine. Been dealing with this for about a year now. I've cleaned all the external grounds, finding the main negative battery cable to the block loose. This fix actually corrected the problem the longest and the lights didn't come back for almost a month. I've also replaced the battery terminals (Tsunami) and the brake light switch (A/C Delco) at the pedal with the lights coming back almost immediately.

My last train of thought is that the tranfer case control module (TCCM) has been referenced a lot in several threads I've read on this. I read the TCCM also requires the tire size to be programmed into it as part of it's install; could my 35-inch tires be affecting this module since my truck came with 33's from the factory? Would one of the handheld programmers out there be able to adjust the tire size? Otherwise next stop is the dealer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Happy Hummer

This seems like an excessive amount of warning light's. Have you got a sunroof?
Have you got a bad hub? I'm guessing encoder motor going? BCM got damaged?

Chris

4speedfunk

Low voltage is my guess. Bad cables. Weak battery. Something loose somewhere. Check the two large plugs on the underside of the fuse block.

ponchoV8

No sunroof and I did a quick check of the hub sensors making sure the wiring wasn't loose and such a few weeks ago when I rotated my tires. Someone mentioned BCM as well. When I ran through the external grounds, all were cleaned up and retightened. The two large plugs under the fuse box I'll have to check and I'll check the wiring to the BCM too. After that it's off to the dealer.

Thanks.

ponchoV8

No hadn't thought of that. I thought that if the little service engine light stayed lit that meant a code had been activated and right now that light is always off. I think I read somewhere too that to retrieve some codes the dealer's reader was required, not just the cheap Scantron reader they use for free at the autoparts store, correct?

chaos254

Yeh the auto part stores will only pull engine codes. There could be codes in memory that didn't set a light. Usually with low voltage you will get a lot of communication codes

ponchoV8

I see. It's pretty annoying having to shift out of Park immediately after start-up or else the lights prevent me from shifting at all until they disappear. Gonna make an appointment soon, just sux that I just paid off a cc, now I have to put money back on it.:gaah:

RamRod

Do one thing before we get too crazy with a list of parts to pull and replace, check your brake fluid level.

I got that combo of warnings once before and it was when I had a leaking caliper and my brake fluid got too low..... I's likely that its not, but it take 30 seconds to check and could save you some $$$

ponchoV8

Checked it, fluid reservior was full. Thanks. Already made an appointment to see a former Hummer tech recommended by another H3 owner near my area. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

ponchoV8

Was recommended to a pair of former Hummer techs at a Christian Brothers Automotive 60 miles away from my house. Took the gamble and went. The guys were very knowledgeable. They even had his Hummer certifications on display. It was both the Electronic Brake Control Module and the Body Control Module. A pretty penny to fix but no more lights.