• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Outfitter Design Tie Rod upgrade

Cortinas316

Searched the forums and couldn't find anything on these? I'm in a 2007 with 14mm tie rods and would like to upgrade for heavier offroading without worries. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these...not sure if I wanna drop 4 Hundo on these. Also looking into the RCV ultimate strength CV joints at 325 a piece. I got about 600 for upgrades and looking for opinions.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
IMO the steering rack brace will save the steering rack then the stronger tie Rods will make for a near or as close as you can get to bulletproof for a stock h3.

The RCV joints are kick ass! I would run em and never fear of breaking them but the diff will die. I went through multiple diffs and before a halfshaft. I would find a way to upgrade the R&P before the shafts.

I know outfitter design and have run their stuff before. I have run mayhem metal works stuff and I know Dwaine from scorpworks. I think they all make good stuff but one thing I disagree with outfitter is those tie rods. The ball and socket end looks the same size as OEM in the picture. I'm curious if the break will move to the ball and socket. Replacing the whole tie Rod with a clevis, heim and .120wall Dom tube it will be bulletproof. You need the entire tie Rod to be tough or else you are moving the break from the middle of the tie Rod to the end

Hummerboy

My only thing to add here is do you think it's really worth it? I mean hell for the price of those tie rods how many normal tie rods could you buy? A lot! And the cv joint thing is the same those prices are absolutely outrageous. I mean I get you get what you pay for but why buy those "better" tie rods when a tie rod is designed to break? I'm all about up grading my HUMMER but not with senseless stuff like that. I just bought 2 new cv axle shafts for around $100 I can't remember exact price but those RCVs are $325 on a site I just saw... So you could buy 6 cv half shaft for the price of those or 3 full sets. Based off the life of your current CVs and mileage expectancy on aftermarket CVs I would guess your HUMMER will run into much more expensive and more needed upgrades than this. If these prices were for a fix all end all and you would never have to uprgrade or touch them again then maybe... Maybe I would consider but again all that money for a part that designed to break? Just my
.02. You should save your money or buy some replacement CVs and tie rods not worry about it or get ripped off lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Very cool and intriging product but the 16 mm OEM tie rods are pretty stout. IMO, if you don't wheel much, save your hard earned money for other higher priority mods. Not too many posts on any HUMMER forum of owners bending or breaking their 16 mm tie rods. That tells me something. Not a big enough issue for me that justifies the high cost when you can buy 3 complete OEM sets for less money if you ever need to replace them. Not knocking the product and if you have money to burn, go for it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've "helped" a few bend or break their 14mm tie rods but not the 16mm ones. I've also worn out one rack at the ends and I'm about to wear out another one. I wore out one front diff. I've only broken one CV and that wasn't the CV, it was the shaft itself.

Point it, I agree with 06 H3 - there are bigger issues at play then the CVs and the tie rods. Those two items can be issues, but they are not as big of a deal on the H3 as some other parts.

The sum in 140,000 miles - 2 racks, 1 diff, 1 half shaft axle, 0 CVs, 0 tie rods.

owlxxx

I kind of like having weak ass tie rods, cheap and quick to replace on the trail. That way If i push too hard, I can save the damage from getting to the expensive components.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never had to replace a tie rod on our H3. I have helped change a few on others trucks. I don't see the 16mm tie rods as being a problem.

deserth3

Thought 07 came with 16mm tie rods. If by chance you do have the 14mm. Just order a set of 16mm. They'll fit. You just have to change inner and outer the first time.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
it was a late 06, early 07 upgrade during the production cycle. I recall F5 saying it was put in place in consideration of the needs of the Alpha that was coming in 08

RamRod

I went with the HD Tie Rods, figure I would do it while installing their rack brace.

I can see people theorys about haveing a weak link thats easy to replace and save more expense from breaking, but at the time I installed the HD rods I was of the mind set that I should upgrade everything to something better whenever the I had the chance...... would I do it again? To be honest I am indifferent to it

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I went with the HD Tie Rods, figure I would do it while installing their rack brace.

I can see people theorys about haveing a weak link thats easy to replace and save more expense from breaking, but at the time I installed the HD rods I was of the mind set that I should upgrade everything to something better whenever the I had the chance...... would I do it again? To be honest I am indifferent to it
As long as you're happy (or indifferent), that's all that matters. The upgrades are always a personal choice.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

I try to build stuff and have NO WEAK LINKS!!!!

The only reason I state the weak link on the tie rod is that those tie rods seem like they have moved the weak link to the ball and socket portion of the tie rod. If it was a clevis and heim on the end that would get rid of the weak link on the tie rod. Then a rack brace and then your set.

Highatop

I did go w/ their rack reinforced kit, to be installed before the lift. I heard it was easier in that order. I really like and want them but, the cost was a factor for me at this time. Maybe down the road after tryin the 16mm? Good luck

RamRod

I did go w/ their rack reinforced kit, to be installed before the lift. I heard it was easier in that order. I really like and want them but, the cost was a factor for me at this time. Maybe down the road after tryin the 16mm? Good luck

Yes, do it before the lift! Or put a notch in the crossmember like a few of us have done or you will have to take the whole front suspension appart if you try to do it after the lift

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cortinas316

Well turns out this isby really an issue anymore...looks like my rack and pinion is leaking fluid so I'm thinking of spending 350 on an entire new OEM assembly that comes with 16mm tie rods.