• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Expedition advice

H3nightrod

We are going to skip the flight and beach this year and have decided to do a mini road trip. We plan to leave around the second week of March
from Chicago and are headed to Arches National park. We will be in our 2008 H3 Alpha and towing our M101 with all our camping gear. Our goal will be to visit Zion national in Utah, and Antalope National Park in Arizona. We will be camping for most of the 2 weeks and are trying to stay off the highway as much as possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any must see locations along the way? We want to experience nature and explore as much as possible. Any suggestions on does or dont's will be greatly appreciated!!!

Also we are open to anyone else who would like to run this trip with us.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Add Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon as must see places since you will be in the area.

Highatop

I would say also, while at Arches to do the back country tour. You will want to do the pavement tour too but, gettin off the beat path is alotta fun and less people. Neo, lives in Moab and does alotta of the firewood for the parks. He would be a great contact while in the area also, for your firewood needs, instead of the parks prices. There are alotta cool places in Co also. Sounds like it will be a fun trip. Keep us posted...

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
It really depends on how much time you want to spend offroad vs in the parks visiting all those wonderful sights. Sometime you may find yourself pressed for time due to weather in one location but not in another. There are a handful of trails that are long double track such as the Kokopelli trail out of Grand junction into the back side of Moab. White rim trail is another very scenic trip. Does your family include dogs on this trip? If so, you're going to have a tough time and will have to board them between parks. Expeditionportal, as some have suggested, offers threads on route planing. I would also start gathering up local books and maps. Garmin and some dowloads should get you started.

Last edited:

DaveK

Hmmmmm.............

I just tried it and it worked. What happened when you clicked it?

jakesz28

Arches has a couple easy/moderate trails in it that I did solo a couple years ago when I was at Neo's during the March event.