• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How to remove a hummer h3 automatic shift knob

D

Dennis

I couldn't think of a better place to ask..

My leather boot around the shifter lever is deteriorating and looks like crap..I have a new Leather boot orderd..so I'm doing some homework before I tackle the job of replacing it.

I have the automatic..and I need to know how does one remove the Shifter knob and then the Boot and Bezel without breaking Clips/TABS, etc.

Any experienced help will be appreciated..

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

zackcrum

Take the set screw from the front of the shifter then lift the console lid and pull up on the console at the front of the storage opening. You'll see the line to pull at across the front of the console part when you open it.

D

Dennis

Take the set screw from the front of the shifter then lift the console lid and pull up on the console at the front of the storage opening. You'll see the line to pull at across the front of the console part when you open it.
Sorry Zack..But none of that is very clear...Assume I am a dumbsh!t..I need step by step procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:

zackcrum

1 there is a screw in the front of the shifter(closest to the dash) remove it.

2 raise the center console lid

3 There is a visible seam across where the lid rests when down(I think there is a square hole in the center of this)

4 lift that up on each side of the console at that seam and it will pull apart from the other section.

5 you may have to set the parking brake and put the truck in drive to get to the screw and to be able to lift the section off without interference from the dash

zackcrum

9ea1f0839ea3fbe1eced5b85ca169db9.jpg

You should pull up on each side of the console next to this section.

D

Dennis

1 there is a screw in the front of the shifter(closest to the dash) Remove it

Remove what?..The Screw or the Shifter knob?..and will
the knob come off easy without screwing something up in the shifter mechanism?

zackcrum

Just the shifter or console hitting the dash. Other than that once you've pulled it off you will laugh about us discussing it so much lol

D

Dennis

Just the shifter or console hitting the dash. Other than that once you've pulled it off you will laugh about us discussing it so much lol
LOL..You're probably right..I just didn't want to mess up the shifter mechanism...

zackcrum

LOL..You're probably right..I just didn't want to mess up the shifter mechanism...
Oh I understand completely. I was tripping about it a few days ago when I was stripping the interior out. But that one screw is all that holds it on. It slips upward off the actual mechanism afterwards.

D

Dennis

Oh I understand completely. I was tripping about it a few days ago when I was stripping the interior out. But that one screw is all that holds it on. It slips upward off the actual mechanism afterwards.
Again, Thanks a ton for your help and patience.

D

Dennis

The weather got up to the near 80's this past weekend, so I tackled the job..It went like a breeze (Thanks to Zack) ..I was able to use all the old hardware to secure the new leather boot on..Be advised, that the aftermarket replacement boot leather is a little thicker than the original crap faux leather they used...So you have to be careful the way you tuck it all in.