• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

P0128 / ac off

08H3

I know what the code means and what can set it, but I'm a little confused by how the OBDII reading and the temperature gauge interpret the signal from the ECT. Here's the full story... My wife got home and told me the DIC said AC OFF. Had a pending P0128. I assumed the ECT as it had recently been replaced, and sure enough the temp gauge was dead. BUT, here's the thing that I don't understand. The ScanGauge and my handheld scanner both reported a normal coolant temp (184 degrees). I cleared the pending and immediately the temp gauge went to normal AC Off message went away. Everything is back to normal.

So what I don't understand is why the OBDII info showed the correct information, but the gauge on the dash was not. I know my Jeep has separate coolant sensors-- one to the ECU and one to the temp gauge on the dash. Does the H3 have two sensors as well? If anyone can shed any light on the discrepancy, and why clearing a pending would correct it, I'd sure appreciate it. The service manual didn't really shed any light on it for me either.