• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 6.0L LS Swap

amrg

Thanks! A bit different as you went from the factory V8, but I enjoyed reading through your posts.
The person that got my engine (Humvee) swapped from a 5 cylinder to a V8. He documented every step of the way here. Its much more complex and involved than what I did.

napalmsticks

Getting ready to start my 6 liter swap, for me it will be into a 2006 also. I will be using a LY6 and a built 4L60e. I have the wiring, engine, and trans figured out but now I'm starting to look at the small stuff that will be required. Do you have a list of the fuel line parts you ordered and used? Coming from the I-5 were you able to reuse any of the rad hoses, heater core hoses, cooling fan, cooling fan shroud, etc from the I-5 motor or did you just have to order parts for the alpha?

Last edited:

amrg

The most pain in the ass items are, in no sort of order:

Getting the exhaust manifolds for an alpha (any other manifolds wont work so if you want get headers and bang the hell off them to fit)
Getting an oil pan for an alpha

Make sure the 4l60e is for a V8 (not I5/I6/V6) and has an alpha valve body/ oil pan for clearance

Humvees thread is extremely thorough and covers 99% of the parts ...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

amrg

Also, did you use 2008+ alpha programming for the ECU or Colorado V8 programming?
This depends on what engine/trans you use.
A gen IV engine uses a different ecu than a Gen III engine. It would be best to get the same ecu/tcu for the engine/trans you're getting.
The Alpha uses an LH8 (Gen IV LS family) that needs an E67 ecu. Since it doesnt have a dedicated trans output, a T42 tcm is required to control a 4l60e. You will also need to source a 4l60e with an internal speed sensor (iss) not present in older models to work with the tcu.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

napalmsticks

Absolutely, I'm tracking all of that. Will be using a 58x engine with a 4L60e from an Alpha. Just looking into ancillary parts now.

4speedfunk

Did you need to pound the firewall back? I have heard that 06-07 models are missing the firewall reliefs that the 08-up models have. The few homebuilt Alphas I have seen, required some creative massaging. Just curious if this was a problem.

Last edited:

napalmsticks

On the wait list for a 6.0. I've heard if you use a car intake it might not be needed. I plan to install a VVT cam with the VVT limiter. Should be good for around 450hp / 400 ft lbs at the crank. Need to swap to an iron front diff I think too.