• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Alaska Off Road Warriors (TV Show)

DJinCO

I have seen the first two episodes. One Jeep, One Defender 90, two 4Runners and a Toyota LC 50 Series making the way off road from the Pacific Ocean to the Arctic Ocean.

I am watching to see who breaks what each episode. So far the Rover bent his tie rod and dropped his rear drive shaft. He used the winch to straighten the tie rod and had a spare drive shaft.

Lots of trail damage, but the winner takes all of $100K for the lowest total time.
Lots of mud.

Hunner

I recorded them but have been out wheeling and have not watched them.
Maybe a marathon viewing over the holidays.

When are WE going?? lol

DJinCO

I believe that we could make it; I just don't know how fast. These guys seem to be a bit crazy and really pushing to the limits. Lots of spinning tires; just waiting for a snap of the CV joint(s).

I tend to go slow and steady rather than driving like I have a tiger by the tail.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I think an H3 can make it, One of the 2 yotas are IFS. Those dirt roads we could literally blast down faster then them IMO from what it seems like on TV. I have not seen one thing we couldnt do, only thing of concern to me was the sand in the beginning and the river crossing, that thing was roaring. I would prefer a lift on the H3. Most of them are lifted putting a stock height (even torsion crank) H3 at an unfair advantage. I have no doubt a rancho lift H3 or even my SAS H3 (fair game seeing the one 4runner was SASed) would have no issues.

The superjeep guy is on pirate and owns a 4x4 company where he retrofits dana 70 gears into dana 60s, dana 50 gears into dana 44s, etc. He seems like a cool dude, his rig is a monster but seems tamed down for the show. The limit is 37s so he threw on 37s but normally he runs 47s or 49s(in the show they stated he was running a different size but on pirate he said he was running 37s) The thing is ugly, a 25in stretch on an old ass jeep but its like a swiss army knife. Very versatile

The only thing I dont like about the show is that it portrays us wheelers as a bunch of rednecks who wanna destroy ****. The Rover guy flipped out on Super jeep guy for driving over tree limbs saying hes killing the environment, just gives the greenies more crap to bitch about. Butch, the dude with the mullet is screaming out the damn window making all of us looking like idiots. Lastly the injury, where the dudes arm got rug burn by the steering wheel whipping back on his arm seems like BS.

Either way I am glad to see an off road show airing...

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
Wheeling cool, but like everything else, I could take or leave the people. I wish they could find entertaining people without grabbing obnoxious white trash ****ers that make my skin crawl every 2 sec.

SuperBuickGuy

I dunno, it actually looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Though the cast members - yeah, they're all playing to their type-cast - the pretentious Land Rover owner, the meth-hicks, the type A drivers, and the outsider who's going to teach the Alaskans a valuable lesson in how everyone should get along - and not to adversely judge outsiders.

with that said, that Jeep is a POS.

08H3

I haven't seen it. Too cheap for cable or satellite. If you're looking for an alternatie, I've been watching the JK Experince Wild Wild West trip from Wayalife. Even though they just YouTube videos, they could pass for actual professional productions. Plus, they do what TV shows don't- they accurately represent wheeling AND the camaraderie behind it.

SuperBuickGuy

I haven't seen it. Too cheap for cable or satellite. If you're looking for an alternatie, I've been watching the JK Experince Wild Wild West trip from Wayalife. Even though they just YouTube videos, they could pass for actual professional productions. Plus, they do what TV shows don't- they accurately represent wheeling AND the camaraderie behind it.

anything on Expedition forum is better... but it's off-road, so I watch it, sue me.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I dunno, it actually looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Though the cast members - yeah, they're all playing to their type-cast - the pretentious Land Rover owner, the meth-hicks, the type A drivers, and the outsider who's going to teach the Alaskans a valuable lesson in how everyone should get along - and not to adversely judge outsiders.

with that said, that Jeep is a POS.

That POS has the strongest drivetrain out of the group. Jana 76 axles with 300M shafts, ARBs, SM420 trans with a Ranger OD, 4:1 D300 t-case, 5.89 gears, and a PTO winch.

Last edited:

Hunner

I can relate to the FJ55. That was the first type 4 x 4 I owned. "The Bus"

Before that on the farm we had 3 Jeeps one was a Jeep pickup converted to a Safari wagon and actually the owner of the farm took it to Africa and filmed a movie.

Ahh the good ole days, standard 3 gear shift and minimal electronics.

I slapped an awesome Rochester two barrel right on there lol and had Jardine make headers, still not real impressive. It had a long stroke six and lots of torque. Armstrong Tru-Trac tires 11/15 flotation. Front and rear leaf springs re-arched for a simple lift.

I'm cheering for that one.

I think now they are affectionately called Pigs! Retro fitted with Tornado disc brakes front and rear is a fav mod.

I'm the one on the right that looks like Tommy Chong, but I can't dance.

Lake was low went off end of ramp, huge spare and rear tires floated the rear end, did not lock the Hubs, remember those??
Only time I ever made the back cover of 4 Wheeler Magazine!
Pulled the plugs, cranked out the water, changed oil and filter, drove home.

Have a laugh,
History lesson over.....................back to your regularly scheduled program.

PS I have pulled several vehicles with PTO winches out of water crossings. Just sayin.............

Last edited:

Best4x4

I've watched it several times now, and I think they're stero typing the Rover with breakdowns. I owned 5 Rover's and I never had the issues he's having. I mean come on Jeep's bend tie rods all the time due to the location of it and how thin it is. Rover's are mounted behind the axle and while you can still bend them you've got a much lower chance vs a Jeep config...

Also he came in 5th due to having to swap out his part of his rear shaft, I dunno what he was doing, but 4 bolts, slide out the bad yoke, tighten the 4 bolts, and be on your way..

It's a good thing to see an off roading adventure show (I saw a clip with a Range Rover Classic which isn't in this adventure so I'm guessing they've already got another season in the works).

The Jeep is downright Fugly, but he knows every end of that rig which is key to keeping it going. He might want to learn what a snorkel is really designed for (keeping out water) his raised intake is 100% exposed and needs a shield along with his wimpy thin front cage/bumper design. Oh and his copilot needs a HAT!!!

The mullet dude is annoying, and I'm surprised the bumps haven't split that rust bucket in half. The 4 banger 4Runner crew with the dog are also creepy. The slow couple are okay, but sometimes you gotta go for it vs creep along.....

I do agree bashing thru the tree's was a bit much, but the tree's were already laying over. They should have just cut them cleanly and moved on, but at the same time it's a race.

Our H3's could do that route properly prepared. As long as you pick the right line a lift isn't as important as having the rig setup for the terrain. You'd need a snorkel, armor underneath, rear diff guard, winch, front/rear bumpers, and I'd go with a set of beadlocks for easier tire repairs. Make sure you've water proofed the PCM/Transmission PCM as good as possible, carry spare parts like CV's and fluids. I'd also probably strip my H3's carpet and cover the seats lol since you know at one point or another you're going to get dirty either winching , get water inside from a crossing, or repairing something.

MaxPF

AGNTSA

SuperBuickGuy

Here's Carl's reply on that subject: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...road-show-history-channel-4.html#post29026953 Feel free to chime in and tell him what you think. Better yet, his shop, Jantz Engineering, is in Poulsbo, so he is close to you. You could always stop in and talk to him in person. Rumor has it he's a nice guy :)

I surfed through the thread... what post are you talking about?

Fortunately, there's no such rumor that I'm a nice guy.

I knew of Janz before the Alaska stuff, never really gave him much thought - he's a wheeler, and that's about it. He does have some interesting videos/method about boring the D60 housing.... but still, it seemed to have worked and no rednecks were hurt in the production of it.

And before you start with the Pirate-soap-opera-crap... go back and read what I wrote before that - especially the bit about "it's TV"

Hunner

It's late but I finally got to watch an episode. I don't think any of them are very well prepared but it makes for great TV.

I guess since it is supposed to be a race, pushing the vehicles and crashing into obstacles "might" be one way to do it.

I like the couple in last, that at least talk about options and attempt things a little more cautious.

The old War Wagon brings back lots of memories as my wife and I watched tonight.
Before I could shut my mouth when they were driving across water in the Jeep with the awesome 12 inch snorkle, at speed, making a bow wake, I said that's crazy and they are going to flood out, I got an elbow in the side.
Case in point:
Too steep and sandy to crawl up the other bank so had to hook up the winch quickly.
I was younger then...............

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Watched the first two episodes yesterday...same format as "ICE ROAD TRUCKERS", SWAMP PEOPLE", "DEADLIEST CATCH", etc. It's meant to be entertainment...not competition.

My money is on mullet-boy. Love the FJ!

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I surfed through the thread... what post are you talking about?

Umm, the one that I linked..

Fortunately, there's no such rumor that I'm a nice guy.

Really? Hadn't noticed..

I knew of Janz before the Alaska stuff, never really gave him much thought - he's a wheeler, and that's about it. He does have some interesting videos/method about boring the D60 housing.... but still, it seemed to have worked and no rednecks were hurt in the production of it.

And before you start with the Pirate-soap-opera-crap

iu

... go back and read what I wrote before that - especially the bit about "it's TV"

Yup, it's TV. And this is the internet. Treat both accordingly.