• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Finally pulled the trigger and MR762A1 !!!

Panzer07

Well like the tittle said I finally broke down and purchased a H&K MR762A1 to my luck...I did so at a good timing. H&K has a $200 dollar rebate in some of their products. As well I got a pretty freaking damn good deal on the riffle $3,900 and some change out of the door and some sights.
Here's a pick of it...I snatched when I bought it...I'll post some more when I pick it up on Tuesday...same day my panzer goes to rancho headquarters for a lift kit.
b8588d4a5a4b887901935058849623be.jpg

Anyways now I'm looking for a above average nice not too fancy Long range scope to go with the beast...I'm currently leaning towards a Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm (30mm) M1 Illum. Ret
b9f8e02e081e50498aed3e6c10637ed1.jpg

what do you guys think...is it this a good scope to go with...or should I hold off and save some more lunch money and go with something better. My rule of thumb is "if you gonna buy something it better be the best, that way you only cry once"

Torres

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say buy the best glass you can afford. Nice pick up. Only problem with a new gun is that now you have to start feeding it. :)

High Five H2

leupold makes good scopes. my dad loves them. i have heard that their quality recently has gone down, but that's just what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt. H&K makes an excellent rifle, though. I used to have an SL8 that I wanted to convert to a G36C clone.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Just a suggestion on scopes. Semi auto 308 rifle are basically assault rifles on steroids with option of precision shooting at intermediate distances. I built an M14 as a battle rifle with a Bushnell 1-8.5 scope. Once it was done I started trying it out and immediately fell in love with it. I can really run it for prettying any use. I have even successfully engaged human silhouettes with only 8.5x magnification out to 1200 meters with factory 175 grain ammo. I would strongly consider that option. BTW I'm jealous. :D

Panzer07

I would say buy the best glass you can afford. Nice pick up. Only problem with a new gun is that now you have to start feeding it. :)

Yes that's my plan...and so the research for glass starts...my goal is to be able to engage targets at 1,000 meters or 1,000 yards with ease. I know that to accomplish this is has a lot to do with the shooter rather than the glass...but if you have something nice that can help you achieve that why not.

leupold makes good scopes. my dad loves them. i have heard that their quality recently has gone down, but that's just what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt. H&K makes an excellent rifle, though. I used to have an SL8 that I wanted to convert to a G36C clone.

Thanks...I'm for sure researching this specially if I'm investing $1,500-2,500 for glass got to make sure you get your money worth for quietly rather than just brand name.

Torres

Panzer07

Just a suggestion on scopes. Semi auto 308 rifle are basically assault rifles on steroids with option of precision shooting at intermediate distances. I built an M14 as a battle rifle with a Bushnell 1-8.5 scope. Once it was done I started trying it out and immediately fell in love with it. I can really run it for prettying any use. I have even successfully engaged human silhouettes with only 8.5x magnification out to 1200 meters with factory 175 grain ammo. I would strongly consider that option. BTW I'm jealous. :D

Thanks for te input recon. Just the man I was hoping to caught their attention lol. My goal is too achieve and successfully engage targets at 1,000 meters or yards. I know that this might be a little too optimistic from my part since I'm not too experience shooting long range...but I'm confident I'll get to that level...while active and in the scout infantry platoon I got to shoot and engage targets past 1,000 meters mark tanks to the sniper we had in the platoon but, I was just the trigger man...they made all the stomata and formulas.
One of my rookie sniper friend (he just graduate army snippet school) gave me this book after I told him I was interested in joining their ranks, but then all that happen right almost before I got to to go to college. Anywyas it's been collectin dust u Tim last week I woke up and said I want an MR762 time to get into long range shooting.
30c882724b32acdd3b196dbce25ec024.jpg

It's like a bible covers everything.

Torres

Panzer07

check out nightforce, too. they make an AR scope. $$$$$$$ though.

I haven't got around to check their products yet but they are for sure in the list. Alone with Swarovski, zeiss. Just got to take it one step at the time lol...don't wanna bring unwanted attention to my direction from the wife lol.specially since I still have to do Christmas shopping. XP

Torres

High Five H2

same here. after my last amazon box, she said "hey, no more car stuff for a while, ok?" oh well... we need to pay off the credit cards anyways.

Panzer07

Hehehe, men and our hobbies lol.
Luckily I like to think I got a good wife doesn't demand much...and supports me all the way. I try and include her in everything IMO, this way she is not hard to convince her about stuffs lol...she is just as excited for he rifle as I'm and all other gadgets. Even the dealer at the gun store was like "she must really love you to just let you spend $3,500 on a rifle, specially since Christmas coming". To what she reply "that's ok, I'm gonna get to shoot it too, as well now I can ask him for a USP Compact I been wanting to get".

Torres

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be nice if we weren't all so far apart and could get together for a play day at the range. I would love to see everyone's toys. Any opinions on Spikes Tactical?

Panzer07

Thanks man.

Sweet rifle man!!! I spent almost 4K in 3 weeks building my rifle so I know how you feel. :cheers:
Thank you bro...I was going build a rifle as well...but the H&K's MR series are just everything I think I'll ever need...or at least for the mean time. Now just to hunt for a nice glass...it just kinda hurts having to spent $1,500-2,00 for a little gadget lol...yet the little gadget open up a whole different level of possibilities.

It would be nice if we weren't all so far apart and could get together for a play day at the range. I would love to see everyone's toys. Any opinions on Spikes Tactical?
That would be totally cool Id be totally down for that...go wheel and reach an isolated remote and safe area with the help of our trucks and just blast bullets away.

Torres

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Just a heads up on Leupold. Leupold used to be one of the best scope companies out there. Unfortunately they have thrown their QC out the window. A lot of their products are now manufactured in China. This information came straight from the horses mouth from an acquaintance I know at the factory. I have run into 3 Leupold spotting scope that the reticles were not calibrated properly and the Mils don't coincide with the correct measurements at 100 meters.

1D9FB676-13E9-4E22-A8D3-E9149D89707F.jpg

With scopes I strongly suggest you get one of the known and proven brand names. At the top are Zeiss/Hendsoldt, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender, US Optics, Steiner. Next step down is IOR Valada, Nightforce, Vortex, Bushnell, etc.

Must have features:

34 mm tube. Allows for much more elevation adjustment for longer distances. Allows more light transmission. Smaller 30mm or 1" tubes have very little adjustment and are inferior in low light situations.

Mil reticle with 0.5, 0.2 or 0.1 Mil stadia lines on first focal plane. Second focal plane sounds good on paper but ads and additional calculation every time you change the magnification. It's a nightmare to deal with if you have to shoot fast.

0.1 Mil adjustments (1cm @ 100m) on elevation and windage knobs. Saves having to calculate anything when you miss. If you miss by .5 Mils you adjust .5 Mils to get back on target. With MOA you have to calculate the difference between Mils and MOA.

Rule of thumb for magnification is you need x1 per every 100 yards. Since a 308 is generally effective under 1000 yards you really don't need anything passed x12. As I explained before I have engaged human size targets out to 1200 meters with a x8.5 mag scope with no problem.

If you can't afford an expensive scope from the get go get a fixed x10 scope from SWFA and then save for one of the good ones. The fact that the scope is fixed power it saves a lot of the manufacturing nightmares of the variable scopes. X10 is a good compromise for just about anything.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Last edited:

Panzer07

^x2

Would u recommend MIL DOT or TMR RETICLES I sort of like TMR Reties over Mil Dits Seem Like The are more precise ?!

Torres

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
^x2

Would u recommend MIL DOT or TMR RETICLES I sort of like TMR Reties over Mil Dits Seem Like The are more precise ?!

Torres

Absolutely! Reticles with partial Mils are far superior. I'll modify post to include that. My S&B runs a H2MCR reticle and the other the MSR. Both have .2 Mils stadia lines and a portion with .1 Mils for super fine ranging.

Panzer07

Well I just picked up 500 rounds of FMJ Steel Core .308.
b025a33c033e50f9eddc7d0f93e971b9.jpg

All organized ready to be load and fire.
c0ec5dee79e29b0e69d36f80bb1dfe2a.jpg

Can't wait 'till Tuesday that's when I pick it this bad girl up.

Torres

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Buying in bulk is the only way to get affordable ammo that shoots consistently. You can never have too much ammo.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Panzer07

dang, you don't mess around when it comes to buying ammo.
I'm planning on taking the family total of 3-4 people, and I'm at least shooting 100 Lol rounds go fast.

That sir is my dream gun!! I am seriously envious!!
Thanks mate lol. And So it was mine, I just seriously got lucky by chance this time...the MR556A1 is the next goal.

Buying in bulk is the only way to get affordable ammo that shoots consistently. You can never have too much ammo.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

^Agree...I pick it up for $340...cheaper than cheaper than dirt and other sites. Shipping and handling is the deal killer for ammo I've come to find. But this military and police supply gun store that's near my house has everything for cheaper by good 10-15% than all other mayor stores. Good example is the rifle. All shops around wanted no less than $4,100 and they had it and have it for $3,470.

Torres

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Don't get the MR556. It's excessively heavy and doesn't like non HK mags. Their mag release is just slightly off spec so you have to buy their expensive mags. That's why Magpul made the special E-mags. Some people will say regular AR mags work fine but they never really put it through its paces. Just get a SCAR16 and you'll really be a happy camper. :D

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Panzer07

Don't get the MR556. It's excessively heavy and doesn't like non HK mags. Their mag release is just slightly off spec so you have to buy their expensive mags. That's why Magpul made the special E-mags. Some people will say regular AR mags work fine but they never really put it through its paces. Just get a SCAR16 and you'll really be a happy camper. :D

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

As a matter of a they have one as well in stock and I checked it out this morning when I went to pick up the ammo.
It felt nice. And I do plan on getting one. And they are almost half of what the MR 556 is. But as far as magazine goes, the only complain I have heard from the youtube owners reviewing it and at HKPro.com forum members that have the MR556, all agree that the only magazine that doesn't work is the P-Mag Gen-ll and that, that is due to the way those magazines were or are made. I tried my regular standard issues banana magazines and they work great (empty) no problem.
With that said...the scar is nice I love the foldable and collapsible stock and how it handles...however I hope to get one of those once I get hired by the LAPD (which shouldn't be long now hopefully), so I can have it without restrictions and use to it's fullest. Or else the foldable stock would be bolted so it can't be fold, as well ill get a damn bullet button (or whatever they are called) California gun rules nonsense suck.

Torres