• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3/H3T Cross Member Failure

PreferredChassisFab

Yosemite Sam
Over the last three and a half years that PCF has been doing the ScorpWorks Cross Member Updates, the original design "A" cross members have shown a common and often critical mode of failure. The mounting sleeves breaking out of the cross member mounting area. This failure is due to the sub-par welding practices used in the OEM assembly practices and is exaggerated when the bushing fails or mounting bolts are allowed to run loose. The installation of larger tires and aggressive driving practices, which increase the rotational torque, will also exaggerate this failure. Of all of the cores returned 95% of "A" cores are broke, 30% to 40% broke critically. The "A" cross member is the "beefiest" cross member available and once repaired and the ScorpWorks modification is performed it will provide a reliable, sturdy mounting solution to the H3/H3T front differential.
attachment.php

Attachments

• H3 Cross Member Failure.jpg
    H3 Cross Member Failure.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 1,280

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Years past I saw a few owners have broken crossmembers replaced under warranty and the bushing was actually intact, or mostly so

PreferredChassisFab

Yosemite Sam
PCF received this Alpha cross member core, it is the worst end failure we have seen. Just a reminder what a failed bushing and/or loose frame mounting bolts will cause. Keep those cross member mounting bolts tight and inspect your bushing!
b7e73fbba234a26687654482e7a36358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaseyS

How are you repairing these ends. Mine had similar looking ends and I cleaned the area as best as I could and welded the sleeves back in place. I thought of cutting the whole end off and using something like sch80 pipe nipples to build the sleeves back up.

RamRod

Wow, thats scares me into not wanting to check mine out...... be right back I am got to go make sure mine arnt like that!

PreferredChassisFab

Yosemite Sam
Latest "Best Broken H3 Cross Member" these two pics are from a cross member received in as a core. I don't think it would have stayed attached long. Bad bushing and loose bolts can really cause damage!
96d997d718f75e33108c68bdf7d209b8.jpg
4baa797d7a78ee5d9c3c222aaac2c43b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mantracker

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean it that way. I stated that I had better check the bolts on my scorpworks cross member, and WoowardsH3 asked, " what cross member is that?". I was refering to my scorpworks cross member, when I stated, " the one you get from Dwaine". Not the one that's broken.
Dwaine makes replacement products that are far superior to to OEM part. I have replaced most everything he makes an upgrade for.:emb: