• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Air Conditioner Clutch Not Engaging

Humvdood

Howdy,

I'm new to this forum and new to the wonderful world of GM products :shifty:

I just bought a 2006 H3 Base - I've owned a mobile electronics and vehicle detailing shop for a few years and wanted something a little flashier than my F150.

As soon as I got it I threw on a remote start unit, dvd head unit, and overhead monitor.
Within 2 weeks of owning it, the blower motor resistor blew. I pulled the harness apart and found where someone had previously done a hack job repair with crap tape and it caused a short.
Replaced the harness, blower motor relay, and blower motor resistor.
HVAC controls wouldn't respond - pulled it apart and found the circuit board was fried.
Replaced controls.
Now the a/c clutch won't engage.

I checked all of the fuses and relays - they're all fine.
Bypassed the compressor relay and the compressor kicks on and cools.
Hooked up my gauges and both high and low side are within specs.

I'm at a loss - I have the full vehicle wiring diagram and have chased stuff around but I've got a good week spent on this thing so I thought I'd ask for help.

I am ASE G1 certified and have passed A1-A4 but I hardly ever mess with HVAC stuff so I haven't gotten around to A7.

Any thoughts on what else could've fried when that blower motor shorted out?

Humvdood

My wife was generous and took off work early to keep the kids so I could track this down.
It ended up being a fried wire at the BCM - Red/black, Pin A26.

I do want to say that, in this instance, the GM HVAC Tech manual for the H3 was useless.
If I had gone through the troubleshooting, step by step, I would've had to install an new compressor, drier, and pressure switch.

If you're having similar issues, get a multimeter and follow the wiring diagrams schwarttzy has available:

http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Hummer-H3-Wiring-2006.pdf

SuperBuickGuy

My wife was generous and took off work early to keep the kids so I could track this down.
It ended up being a fried wire at the BCM - Red/black, Pin A26.

I do want to say that, in this instance, the GM HVAC Tech manual for the H3 was useless.
If I had gone through the troubleshooting, step by step, I would've had to install an new compressor, drier, and pressure switch.

If you're having similar issues, get a multimeter and follow the wiring diagrams schwarttzy has available:

http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Hummer-H3-Wiring-2006.pdf

I didn't realize GM tech repair manuals had a section for "those issues the owner tried to fix first"... could you tell me what chapter that would be in?
with that said, good catch...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I didn't realize GM tech repair manuals had a section for "those issues the owner tried to fix first"

Umm, I think the GM Tech Repair manuals state "Ignore everything the customer stated and work off of your own loose and unfounded assumptions when initiating any troubleshooting"

Humvdood

Eh, it's a bunch of "if - then" scenarios.
Before the "convincing the customer his blinker fluid is low" section and after the "Just rev the engine 'til it blows then tell the customer they voided the warranty" section.