Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Street Tire
    Thanks

2007 H3 Shut Down!!???

Good day all.

During my drive yesterday the I5 just shut off. Suddenly no power or brakes going down hill with a trailer......UGHH!!

H3 wont start and keeps blowing the small ignition fuses.. Makes a relay tic sound only. When I push the brake pedal with ignition on, I cant get into neutral also the battery went completely dead.

Seems like a dead short or something...

Fire away my good people.....??????
    Last edited by H3HummerLineX; 10-06-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: edit
    RIG SPECS: 2007 H3 I5 Automatic, Adventure. State Blue Metallic W/LineX Fenders and grill, Scan Gauge II, Air Raid intake, Cat back exhaust with series 40 flow master, 35" Kumo road venture MT, 17" Ultra Motorsports Rogue Wheels, T-Bars cranked, 2" body lift, 5160 Bilstein reservoir shocks, 2" shackle rear lift. 5165 Bilstein reservoir shocks, Custom rock sliders, CURT extended roof rack, Hi-Lift jack, 35" Cree light bar, 8" Cree rear top light, 3x3" Cree Pillar lights.

Mud Terrain
    Thanks
    How many miles on your H3?

It is a 7-8 year old rig... it may have some gunk on the injectors/spark plugs/intake manifold etc.

Check the simple stuff first before you go looking for a short somewhere.

Any codes?

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Oy has 70k. I will look into this. No codes. Only says abs and traction control fail
    RIG SPECS: 2007 H3 I5 Automatic, Adventure. State Blue Metallic W/LineX Fenders and grill, Scan Gauge II, Air Raid intake, Cat back exhaust with series 40 flow master, 35" Kumo road venture MT, 17" Ultra Motorsports Rogue Wheels, T-Bars cranked, 2" body lift, 5160 Bilstein reservoir shocks, 2" shackle rear lift. 5165 Bilstein reservoir shocks, Custom rock sliders, CURT extended roof rack, Hi-Lift jack, 35" Cree light bar, 8" Cree rear top light, 3x3" Cree Pillar lights.

Red Rockett
    Thanks
    Have you tried jumping it?

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Yes. Just goes tic. Ignition fuse pops. Dash gauges don't come on except for lights

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Electrical problems can be a PITA to track down. I assume the problem persisted with the trailer disconnected. Unless it's something obvious, e.g. battery/batt connections, dealer/DIY wiring; I'd have it checked with a pro diagnostic reader, preferably a genuine Tech 2, or you'll be looking for a needle in haystack.
    '09 H3T Alpha: 305/55R20 Toyos on Motometal 20s, Gobi Stealth Rack, Diamondback Bed Cover, Bedslider, Pioneer AppRadio 3, backup cam, rear parking sensors
    '06 H3 Adventure 3.5 (9/05-1/13)

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Yup. Agree. I disconnected all aftermarket power and trailer same issues. Taking it to my mechanic I think

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    I was headed down Dillard rd in North Carolina/Georgia and my 2007 shut off on me. The steep windy roads were extremely difficult to drive on with a car that just shut off haha. Very scary though.

Baja
    Thanks
    Sounds like the solenoid is messed up or the starter is locked up. Popping fuses like that and just hearing a click sounds like it might have engaged the starter, killed the engine, and now it's locked up. Had that happen on my 04 WJ. I replaced the battery, and starter and all was good.

95 Land Rover Discovery Series I lifted
    97 Land Rover Discovery Series I XD lifted
    99 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE7 lifted
    02 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE Kalahari 2inch TF Lift & modified for off roading
    04 Land Rover Discovery Series II lifted
    06 Land Rover LR3 HSE (with rear locker)

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,865 Posts
    I recall Brodie having issues with corrosion and/or fraying of the trailer wiring harness by the rear bumper. It was giving him all kinds of weird issues. Might be a good spot to start checking the wiring

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Absolutely. The fact that you were towing when it happened sort of points to an issue with the wiring at the rear of the truck. Either specifically with the trailer wiring circuit...or possibly a pinched harness due to the extra weight on the bumper. I've swapped a million rear bumpers, and I frequently see burn marks where the wiring has gotten into the exhaust system. Especially if some hack has installed an aftermarket exhaust, or your running an aftermarket Reese type hitch.

Super Swamper

Thanks
    If the battery is "stone dead" it may not pass enough power jumping it.
    Could be a dead cell.

Some of the above could have been caused by the trailer wiring. Unplug it until you get going.
    Good luck sorry to have that issue.

My throttle linkage on my Cummins popped off today, on a windy road right before a blind hill. oh boy that got interesting!
    It only has 240,000 plus miles.

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    I drove up a pretty steep driveway today, then went to go down it backwards , but left my car in drive because it isn't too long of a driveway (stupid I know) but as soon as I got to the bottom, my car shut off. As soon as I put it in park and cranked it, it started up with almost no problems. Anybody know why this might've happened?

Street Tire
    Thanks

Electrical issues!!!!

Hello. (Ongoing Issue) I have a 2007 H3 Hummer. It shut off while driving. Battery was still fully charged. locked my key in ignition and could not put it into neutral. put on fat bed. Took it to shop and the got it running saying that they unplugged and plugged back in computer, replaced the blown ignition 10 amp fuse and it was running. drove it home. shut it off then started it again a few mins later and shut the door, engine shut down again and popped ignition fuse. Unplugged computer, replaced fuse again. after ten minutes I plugged it back in and it started. I closed the rear gate door and it shut back of???

AHHHH!!!! Any Ideas???

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Combined your two threads since they are the same subject.

Did you look at the recommendations above? Considering that closing the rear door caused the issue it further supports that you may have a wiring issue at that end, and the trailer wiring harness is a known trouble spot.