• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 2007 H3 Shut Down!!???

H3HummerLineX

Good day all.

During my drive yesterday the I5 just shut off. Suddenly no power or brakes going down hill with a trailer......UGHH!!

H3 wont start and keeps blowing the small ignition fuses.. Makes a relay tic sound only. When I push the brake pedal with ignition on, I cant get into neutral also the battery went completely dead.

Seems like a dead short or something...

Fire away my good people.....??????

Last edited:

Ghostbuster

How many miles on your H3?

It is a 7-8 year old rig... it may have some gunk on the injectors/spark plugs/intake manifold etc.

Check the simple stuff first before you go looking for a short somewhere.

Any codes?

SedonaBound

Electrical problems can be a PITA to track down. I assume the problem persisted with the trailer disconnected. Unless it's something obvious, e.g. battery/batt connections, dealer/DIY wiring; I'd have it checked with a pro diagnostic reader, preferably a genuine Tech 2, or you'll be looking for a needle in haystack.

Robbie_

I was headed down Dillard rd in North Carolina/Georgia and my 2007 shut off on me. The steep windy roads were extremely difficult to drive on with a car that just shut off haha. Very scary though.

Best4x4

Sounds like the solenoid is messed up or the starter is locked up. Popping fuses like that and just hearing a click sounds like it might have engaged the starter, killed the engine, and now it's locked up. Had that happen on my 04 WJ. I replaced the battery, and starter and all was good.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I recall Brodie having issues with corrosion and/or fraying of the trailer wiring harness by the rear bumper. It was giving him all kinds of weird issues. Might be a good spot to start checking the wiring

4speedfunk

Absolutely. The fact that you were towing when it happened sort of points to an issue with the wiring at the rear of the truck. Either specifically with the trailer wiring circuit...or possibly a pinched harness due to the extra weight on the bumper. I've swapped a million rear bumpers, and I frequently see burn marks where the wiring has gotten into the exhaust system. Especially if some hack has installed an aftermarket exhaust, or your running an aftermarket Reese type hitch.

Hunner

If the battery is "stone dead" it may not pass enough power jumping it.
Could be a dead cell.

Some of the above could have been caused by the trailer wiring. Unplug it until you get going.
Good luck sorry to have that issue.

My throttle linkage on my Cummins popped off today, on a windy road right before a blind hill. oh boy that got interesting!
It only has 240,000 plus miles.

Robbie_

I drove up a pretty steep driveway today, then went to go down it backwards , but left my car in drive because it isn't too long of a driveway (stupid I know) but as soon as I got to the bottom, my car shut off. As soon as I put it in park and cranked it, it started up with almost no problems. Anybody know why this might've happened?

H3HummerLineX

Electrical issues!!!!

Hello. (Ongoing Issue) I have a 2007 H3 Hummer. It shut off while driving. Battery was still fully charged. locked my key in ignition and could not put it into neutral. put on fat bed. Took it to shop and the got it running saying that they unplugged and plugged back in computer, replaced the blown ignition 10 amp fuse and it was running. drove it home. shut it off then started it again a few mins later and shut the door, engine shut down again and popped ignition fuse. Unplugged computer, replaced fuse again. after ten minutes I plugged it back in and it started. I closed the rear gate door and it shut back of???

AHHHH!!!! Any Ideas???

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Combined your two threads since they are the same subject.

Did you look at the recommendations above? Considering that closing the rear door caused the issue it further supports that you may have a wiring issue at that end, and the trailer wiring harness is a known trouble spot.

H3HummerLineX

Ok so update.

I can make it start and it will run until any jolt or hard bump like banging on the wheel or shutting a door. Popped ignition fuse. If I replace it and wait 10 min or so it will start. ?

Best4x4

Check the plugs going into the PCM, check your battery cables, and the power connections at the main fuse box under the hood.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Banging on the steering wheel shuts it down? It's hard to make a big impact on the truck through the steering wheel, suggesting the issue could be in the vicinity of the steering wheel. Ignition switch/housing maybe?

H3HummerLineX

Got it!! The main wire harness running through the top of the dash was rubbing on the metal part of the airbag frame and cut through one of the power wires insulation. It was chafing and arcing and that is what was causing the ignition fuse to pop.

H3HummerLineX

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413087149.612702.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413087162.774041.jpg

SolidusJ

Man great work on finding that little baster!!! :clap:I mean it man, right now my head unit wont shut off and I lost my door chime and bluetooth due to this. Right now I got a switch to turn it on and off but now if the radio is to loud it will shut off and then come back on. I've been dealing with this for 2 months now so I know how much of it pain it is to not get a problem fixed.

4speedfunk

I got door chime issues too...but not all the time. Once in awhile the chime volume fades away. I keep hoping it will completely fry, as I find the ding-donging quite irritating.

H3HummerLineX

I had the intermittent chime as well but fuse was popping. The loom had come off the plastic clip at the top of the dash. Be aware, if any aftermarket installation of radio or pulling on harness or even some off roading could cause loom to drop down. It will rest on the sharp edge of the air bag housing and as you can see the rest is history.