• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front "BUILDER" bumpers....

4speedfunk

So you want a winch but, aren't ready to tackle building a bumper from scratch?

I have a couple front bumpers that were left "raw" (un-coated)...for just this purpose. We strongly encourage DIY guys to cut and weld on THORparts! So here's your chance to grab one. You can bolt it on...do some trimming on your plastic front fascia. Or...grab a welder and add your own grille, brushguard, or lighting options. These are laser-cut, precision-formed, and made from 3/16" fully-welded steel. I have two of these, and I'm blowin them outta here because they will start to rust in a week or so....$399 plus shipping.
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 795

4speedfunk

Not yet. I have several front fascia's lying around and I plan to cut one up to see what it looks like. Several guys have made their own "hidden" winch mounts using this same idea. However, this would be a complete replacement bumper, rather than just a winch mount behind the stock bumper. I will try to get to it this weekend.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
O damn you only have 2 left? As you know I am still in the process of "tuning" my SAS so when money is better I will be all over it if you have them again.

5gn-h3t

If I weld a cross member in between my two front frame rails (ahead of the radiator, behind the tow hooks, flush with the top and bottom of the frame) will it interfere with the mounting of your bumper?

4speedfunk

If I weld a cross member in between my two front frame rails (ahead of the radiator, behind the tow hooks, flush with the top and bottom of the frame) will it interfere with the mounting of your bumper?
No. You should be okay...the THORparts bumper is open on the underside, much like a factory bumper. However, I would be careful putting any sort of crossmember here, as I could possibly block access to the winch mounting bolts.

4speedfunk

If u want one...shoot me a PM with your direct email and I will send u a PayPal link. I can ship first thing Monday morning.

I think once u see the THORparts bumper up close...you'll change your mind about adding a crossmember. The bumper itself basically does the same job.

5gn-h3t

I'm going to buy one but still have a laundry list of parts that I have to buy first to make it roll again. Maybe someday I'll even drive it. Lol.

I like having a solid cross member. I'm sure the bumper is very strong but it's still bolt-on.

4speedfunk

It's all crumple-zone anyway. If you're are adding a crossmember for strength purposes. I would recommend some frame rail reinforcements. The steering rack crossmember is quite robust, and unless u are cutting that off (like for a SAS)...I don't see any advantage to adding another one.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I will bump this.

I believe I am the first to run the "builder bumper" and because it is a builder bumper you do have some work to do to make it look like it belongs there. Of all the bumpers that are on the market, ARB, THORparts full bumper, Iron bull, BA bumper (when they existed) this is by far the most affordable.

So I pulled the bumper off, it was a PITA. I saw the old thread of bumper removal assuming it was easy but my bumper is pretty thrashed making it a pain. Either way its off, now I gotta figure out how to make the plastic work. I will start looking into that tomorrow because I dont wanna mess up the cuts.

I should of washed the truck after I pulled the bumper off! Luckily most of the water dried up...lol

There are (5) 10mm bolts that hold the plastic fascia on the stock bumper, I removed those

Now I gotta trim that to work

It isnt bolted on, just slid over the frame rails.

Lots of space to fill....It will continue tomorrow and by the time I'm done it should look good, be very affordable at ($399) compared to other bumpers, have a great approach angle compared to before and this one will take much more abuse then the stock one.

Side note: Any so cal guys who want a winch brushguard lmk. If you have a non winch brushguard I will trade you and plus cash for me or cash for you depending on the brushguard you have or if you dont have a brushguard I will let it go for $125. (on teakatoys the winch brushguard goes for $479 and on carid it says it goes for $301)

cbetts

NERD!!!
I will bump this.

I believe I am the first to run the "builder bumper" and because it is a builder bumper you do have some work to do to make it look like it belongs there. Of all the bumpers that are on the market, ARB, THORparts full bumper, Iron bull, BA bumper (when they existed) this is by far the most affordable.

So I pulled the bumper off, it was a PITA. I saw the old thread of bumper removal assuming it was easy but my bumper is pretty thrashed making it a pain. Either way its off, now I gotta figure out how to make the plastic work. I will start looking into that tomorrow because I dont wanna mess up the cuts.

I should of washed the truck after I pulled the bumper off! Luckily most of the water dried up...lol

There are (5) 10mm bolts that hold the plastic fascia on the stock bumper, I removed those

Now I gotta trim that to work

It isnt bolted on, just slid over the frame rails.

Lots of space to fill....It will continue tomorrow and by the time I'm done it should look good, be very affordable at ($399) compared to other bumpers, have a great approach angle compared to before and this one will take much more abuse then the stock one.

Side note: Any so cal guys who want a winch brushguard lmk. If you have a non winch brushguard I will trade you and plus cash for me or cash for you depending on the brushguard you have or if you dont have a brushguard I will let it go for $125. (on teakatoys the winch brushguard goes for $479 and on carid it says it goes for $301)

Looks great Chris! Can't wait until we can get together again. I am hoping to have my THORparts bumper soon!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
We gotta catch up soon Craig!

Heres an update on the "builder bumper" I hit a road block. I cant decide if I use the stock pods or ditch em and get the huge 9in LED round lights and that will bascially cover all of the space in the back. I made my own little grille in the back. If I use the stock light pods I will mount them and then extend the corner of the grille forward. Anyways, heres pics. So the question is do I keep the stock pods or not? Also, I nicked one of the pods with the angle grinder. I can get more factory plastic light pods easily though.

All of this is just there, nothing mounted.

Heres a good shot of what I have to cover, a 9in LED might cover it well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-96W-Red-...131003132420&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=400788096103&rt=nc

EDIT: I would also paint repaint the faded plastic light pods if I kept em and ignore the mess in the garage. We still have a lot of my grandma's stuff since she passed.

4speedfunk

I think Squeaky is turning into the "Michael Jackson" of Hummers! I vote for some big round junk Chinese LEDs bolted to the top of the bumper...outboard of the winch. Trim the plastic inners even with the radiator support. Fab a metal grille to sit behind the winch & lights, and cover the whole radiator support, end-to-end. I'm big believer that there is no such thing as a quality LED...they're all crap! So just pick some off eBay and bolt em on.

How bout some 9-inchers...http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Red-Roun...t=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item2c947c20c3&vxp=mtr

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
LOL, Michael Jackson of hummers??? Cant tell if thats a good thing, bad thing or neither

So instead of being a black hummer I wanna be a white jeep? :giggle: