• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Sun roof on H2

I am having big issues with my sunroof, it has no problem opening, but when I go to close it, I have to push it with my hand for it to close completely, has anyone had this issue? I already tried dealing with the problem with the help of a friend that is a mechanic, he already changed, the motor(which wasn't cheap)once we did that, and we did notice the motors spinning fin, on the old one, was worn down. But its still doing the same thing as before, so he saw the retracting cable was looking bad(another expense), so it took another two weeks before he was able to get the cables, he changed them, and again it does the same thing!!! Uugggghhh!!! It went all the way in, removing the whole truck inside ceiling cover, and saw that the metal casing rails had some sort of plastic cylinders that allow the window and cable to move evenly and properly, but all of them are almost completely worn down, to the point that there are 6 on one side and only 4 on the other, and they are all falling apart he said, unfortunately I wasn't there to see them(I do trust him though, incase some was wondering) he just text me that that those cylinders are only available all together attached to the aluminum track frame, so he would have to get the whole casing and cylinders together, and omg, let me tell you it's expensive!!! Any suggestions?? Help please!

CaliHummer

Same problem. Didn't go as extensive as you but all I did was clean the tracks and sprayed some lube on the tracks as well. Only gets stuck once in awhile now but much better than before.

Thanks for the feedback CaliHummer, but unfortunately I tried that a little while back and it don't go as well for me, it continued to need the help of me pushing it forward to close. I want it to be in as close to perfect working order as possible, because I'm installing a custom made roof rack by Knight Metal Works, in the near future, and I want to be able to get up to the rack, through my sunroof as well, and not have any issues, especially it closing and opening! lol

CaliHummer

Funny I just got my roof rack in as well! A Gobi tire holder though. Hmmm so you wont be able to close it from the inside by hand then? Thats what I do when it doesn't shut, at a red lights I just tap it and it keeps going. But deff feel your annoyance though I hate it to...

SummitUp

High On Hummers!
I am having big issues with my sunroof, it has no problem opening, but when I go to close it, I have to push it with my hand for it to close completely, has anyone had this issue?
Yep, I've been living with the same problem since purchasing my '05 Deuce in 2008. The one time I took it to a Stealership I was told to fix it required replacing the entire track and cable assembly, and the labor alone cost an arm & a leg. Not wishing to loose an arm or a leg much less both, I decided to just live with it.

It's a very common problem on the H2's, not much you can do to fix it other than follow your mechanics advise and replace the track assembly.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I will try greasing it more, but I think at this point being that he found those rolling cylinders deteriorating (made of plastic style material of course) I will have no choice but to change that whole assembly, and unfortunately he said it probably happened both from them being old and the grease possibly breaking them down with time, maybe someone used the wrong kind of grease/oil. I've already invest so much time and money to fix this situation, I am not about to give up now! lol

SummitUp

High On Hummers!
Fixed mine by cleaning the tracks and fresh grease on the tracks afterwards.
I did the same thing on mine but it didn't help. The problem with my sunroof is that the cable on the left side has stretched so that it's slack when the motor is closing the sunroof. Therefore all the pulling power to close the sunroof is on the shorter cable on the right side. This causes the sunroof to bind, so I have to reach up and push the left side with my hand while closing it to compensate.

It's real fun while I'm driving! :no:

I had the motor changed and the cables, so now I believe all that is left is the track system with the rotating cylinders... This better fix it damn it!!!

I'm using the sunroof opening for going up to and down from my new custom roof rack, so it has to work correctly so I don't run into issues when I really need it, so I can't live with it.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I have the exact issue with my sunroof. I also cleaned and greased the tracks to no avail.

With a sunroof as large as ours, I suppose failure is prone to occur.

I've chosen to live with it versus the 1200$ I was quoted for repair.

Posted via Integrated Brain Wave Chip