• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How easy is it to do these repairs myself?

Hills

Good morning,

So I am not the most mechanically inclined person when it comes to fixing cars, however I am learning. I took my truck into Carr Chevy in Beaverton, Oregon to have it looked at because I noticed some oil leaking from my tranny pan. Turns out it is a gasket, and they said they would replace the gasket, filter, and fluid for $199.95. Also they said that I needed to replace my left/right hubs, for $579 each. Also they said they needed to replace my suspension upper control arms, and lower ball joints pack for $1153.00. Last but not least, they said I needed to replace my power steering bushings pack for $140.00.

I have never performed this work before. How hard is it to do in my garage? Or is this something I should find a buddy to do at a cheaper rate?

I am pretty disappointed to get this news before the Hummer meet in Washington this weekend. If I don't rip it too hard up there this weekend, do you think I will be okay? Or should I spend Friday getting what I can done?

Panzer07

All of the following for what I read and seen they are pretty easy parts to replace. There's even videos (YouTube) for some of this repairs mentioned above.

Sent From Someone Else's iPhone 'Cause I'm Too Broke To Own One.

derian06

Red Rockett
If you end up not having the tools or experience to do the repairs. You should definitely see a mechanic that isn't from the stealership. I wish I could help, but I can't. Try searching the forum for someone else who has done the repairs.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If you're not mechanically inclined then I would not recommend most of these repairs yourself. I would schedule these out over time and do one or two at a time at an independent mechanic, like derian recommended. Also with that independent mechanic, have them verify these issues even exist.

Tranny drain and fill, with new gasket and filter. Their price isn't outrageous but you can do better at an independent transmission shop.
Hubs: I would get a second opinion as to whether they are even an issue. Their price isn't outrageous but it is high.
Upper control arms and lower ball joints. That price is too high.
Steering bushing - go for the Preferred Chassis Fab bracket in the sponsors section. More $ but it's likely the last time you'll have to do work on that. We put one in this weekend where a shop said the bushings were shot. All of the bushings were fine, both driver and passenger, and it was an inner tie rod that was worn.

Talk to friends, coworkers, etc and find a good shop. If that doesn't work, try Craigslist and give them one of the above repairs and see how they do.

It's too hard to say if you're good for the weekend. If things are just starting to go, you'd probably be fine. If they are in an advanced state it could mean trouble. Unfortunately, I think it's impossible to make a recommendation without seeing the truck.

rascole

Is the tranny oil actually dripping on the ground or just a small oil stain/sheen on the pan itself? First thing I would do is get a couple of cans of Gunk, do a very thorough job of de-greasing the underside, and monitor it. Everything else can be done with a competent friend with the right tools for about half the cost. The money you save will buy all the right tools you would need.

poweraidon

I'm not that mechanically inclined either but for those who are where did you guys learn? You've got people doing their own axle swaps and I'm just here changing my own oil lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hills

Is the tranny oil actually dripping on the ground or just a small oil stain/sheen on the pan itself? First thing I would do is get a couple of cans of Gunk, do a very thorough job of de-greasing the underside, and monitor it. Everything else can be done with a competent friend with the right tools for about half the cost. The money you save will buy all the right tools you would need.
Well I was on about a 500 mile run earlier this month, and stopped for fuel. I looked under the truck, and oil was dripping onto the ground. In about 20 minutes there were two drops about the size of a dime on the ground.

Hills

If you're not mechanically inclined then I would not recommend most of these repairs yourself. I would schedule these out over time and do one or two at a time at an independent mechanic, like derian recommended. Also with that independent mechanic, have them verify these issues even exist.

Tranny drain and fill, with new gasket and filter. Their price isn't outrageous but you can do better at an independent transmission shop.
Hubs: I would get a second opinion as to whether they are even an issue. Their price isn't outrageous but it is high.
Upper control arms and lower ball joints. That price is too high.
Steering bushing - go for the Preferred Chassis Fab bracket in the sponsors section. More $ but it's likely the last time you'll have to do work on that. We put one in this weekend where a shop said the bushings were shot. All of the bushings were fine, both driver and passenger, and it was an inner tie rod that was worn.

Talk to friends, coworkers, etc and find a good shop. If that doesn't work, try Craigslist and give them one of the above repairs and see how they do.

It's too hard to say if you're good for the weekend. If things are just starting to go, you'd probably be fine. If they are in an advanced state it could mean trouble. Unfortunately, I think it's impossible to make a recommendation without seeing the truck.
Okay! I will go get some second opinions. I have been trying to find a mechanic that will let me help/watch so I can learn, but most just want to get it done and not teach. I replaced my radiator with a buddy, but he is about a 2 hour drive away, so I cant get out there that often.

SuperBuickGuy

Good morning,

So I am not the most mechanically inclined person when it comes to fixing cars, however I am learning. I took my truck into Carr Chevy in Beaverton, Oregon to have it looked at because I noticed some oil leaking from my tranny pan. Turns out it is a gasket, and they said they would replace the gasket, filter, and fluid for $199.95. Also they said that I needed to replace my left/right hubs, for $579 each. Also they said they needed to replace my suspension upper control arms, and lower ball joints pack for $1153.00. Last but not least, they said I needed to replace my power steering bushings pack for $140.00.

I have never performed this work before. How hard is it to do in my garage? Or is this something I should find a buddy to do at a cheaper rate?

I am pretty disappointed to get this news before the Hummer meet in Washington this weekend. If I don't rip it too hard up there this weekend, do you think I will be okay? Or should I spend Friday getting what I can done?

pan gasket is pretty easy, just don't overtighten the bolts - thing is - at $199.95 that's not that terrible of a price since you'll need 10 quarts of synthetic oil at $6.00 a quarter plus a filter and gasket at $30.00.... were it me, I'd have them do ONLY that job (especially since it can be a pain to keep a pan gasket from leaking - though it is easier on a Hummer because it's a cast aluminum pan.)
hubs aren't too bad either, really just a matter of taking bolts off and putting back on (I presume they mean unit bearings - after all, H3s don't have hubs) the only thing you'd need outside of a standard Craftsman socket set is a 30mm socket for CV bolt

upper control arms are cheap from Rock Auto, and easy to swap - but you do need to get an alignment immediately after swapping them. Lower ball joints rarely go bad - so I question the need.

you'll be fine for the meet this weekend - and you'll give us a chance to do a check on your front suspension.
Finally, Carr is no better or worse than any other stealership - but if you know of a reputable, private garage, the cost would be as follows:

$99.95 for a fluid flush, and $40.00 for a pan gasket
Upper control arms are $95 each = $190.00 plus 1 1/2 hours to install - $135.00
Lower ball joints $33/each plus 1 hour labor for both as it's all apart
Unit bearings 100-300 each (depending on quality).... and they're really easy to replace...
figure all said and done, less than $1,000. However, you'll want to replace the steering rack bushing with a scorpion works or similar - so that's another $125...

why do they think the unit bearings are shot? are they making noise?

oh, and though you're a bit away from him - I do know a reputable mechanic in Oregon City.

Hills

pan gasket is pretty easy, just don't overtighten the bolts - thing is - at $199.95 that's not that terrible of a price since you'll need 10 quarts of synthetic oil at $6.00 a quarter plus a filter and gasket at $30.00.... were it me, I'd have them do ONLY that job (especially since it can be a pain to keep a pan gasket from leaking - though it is easier on a Hummer because it's a cast aluminum pan.)
hubs aren't too bad either, really just a matter of taking bolts off and putting back on (I presume they mean unit bearings - after all, H3s don't have hubs) the only thing you'd need outside of a standard Craftsman socket set is a 30mm socket for CV bolt

upper control arms are cheap from Rock Auto, and easy to swap - but you do need to get an alignment immediately after swapping them. Lower ball joints rarely go bad - so I question the need.

you'll be fine for the meet this weekend - and you'll give us a chance to do a check on your front suspension.
Finally, Carr is no better or worse than any other stealership - but if you know of a reputable, private garage, the cost would be as follows:

$99.95 for a fluid flush, and $40.00 for a pan gasket
Upper control arms are $95 each = $190.00 plus 1 1/2 hours to install - $135.00
Lower ball joints $33/each plus 1 hour labor for both as it's all apart
Unit bearings 100-300 each (depending on quality).... and they're really easy to replace...
figure all said and done, less than $1,000. However, you'll want to replace the steering rack bushing with a scorpion works or similar - so that's another $125...

why do they think the unit bearings are shot? are they making noise?

oh, and though you're a bit away from him - I do know a reputable mechanic in Oregon City.

Good afternoon,

Awesome! I will hold off on getting this stuff done until after this weekend. They told me that when the rig was up on the lift, that my tires were able to shake left to right (from the drivers point of view.) I would be willing to drive to Oregon City to get work done. I just am tired of getting hijacked everywhere I go.