• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Engine Vibration [ Steering Wheel + Center Console ]

Jeremy

Has anyone had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?Problem:ONLY when I am idled (red light/stop sign/drive-thru, etc...) my steering wheel vibrates like its trying to fall off. Sometimes when I turn the A/C on it stops or as soon as I touch the gas pedal. The vibration has gotten so bad that I can now here something vibrating inside my center console and it irritates me so much. Before I go crazy on ripping everything apart I would like to know if anyone has had this problem. I read that it is a common thing with these motors in the Colorados. The engine is the 3.7L 5-Cylinder. I've read online that it could be a variety of different things so if anybody can help... PLEASE. If anybody needs pictures just ask. Thanks

zackcrum

Clean the throttle body and maf. Mine would do it almost exactly the same and now it idles as smooth as as 5 cylinder is gonna get.

skippy

there was a vibration in my 09 and i climbed under it and found that there is a cover over the fuel tank and it was rubbing on the underbody. fixed it and the noise has gone

Ed's06h3

I had the same issue years back. the vibration was on the steering wheel and even the glove box. Believe it or not (for me) it was coming from loose air box bolts. I re-tightened the bolts and the vibration went away.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If it goes away when you hit the accelerator I'd look at anything tied to the engine: loose exhaust, exhaust hitting the frame, worn motor mounts so the engine isn't sitting right, worn diff crossmember. Vibrations travel so it's quite likely that your center console isn't the issue but it's a symptom of a traveling vibration.

If it changes with A/C, take a look at the belt situation. Remove the belt for a moment and see if that changes anything. You might have a bad pulley somewhere.

My guess is going to be motor mounts and it could even be that your motor is shifting enough to affect the steering shaft or other components.

Jeremy

If it goes away when you hit the accelerator I'd look at anything tied to the engine: loose exhaust, exhaust hitting the frame, worn motor mounts so the engine isn't sitting right, worn diff crossmember. Vibrations travel so it's quite likely that your center console isn't the issue but it's a symptom of a traveling vibration. If it changes with A/C, take a look at the belt situation. Remove the belt for a moment and see if that changes anything. You might have a bad pulley somewhere. My guess is going to be motor mounts and it could even be that your motor is shifting enough to affect the steering shaft or other components.
Thanks, I'll check those this week and i'll let you know if something worked.