• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Learned to reload today

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Thanks to some guy named Reloader.:)

We did some .380 and .40. It was sorta fun once I got the hang of the process and I could see how one could get wrapped up in it for hours. Now I know I'm going to go nuts shopping at gun shows and stores when trying to find good deals on bullets, powder, etc.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet and I'm curious to see how I did. I also want to compare it against some gun show reloads I got a week ago for the equivalent of $10 a box for .40. I though $16-$17 was good when buying reloads at gun shows but one vendor had super cheap, but good looking, ammo.

mantracker

Reloading is kinda like therapy to me. It gets your mind off of daily problems, because you have to concentrate on what you're doing. It also saves you alot of money if you shoot alot. I reload quite a bit.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
If you really plan to reload a lot of pistol rounds, you should get yourself a Dillon progressive press. You can make hundreds of rounds in just an hour.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mainly loaded 9mm, 45 ACP, .223 and .308. I did load a little 380 but I don't shoot it that much. Probably a waste for me to buy the 380 die set. Haven't been reloading lately though.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Reloader has a Dillon progressive - can't recall which model - but it isn't set up yet. I'll probably be good with the one at a time model for a while. Too friggin' hot to do anything outside so now's a good time to stay inside, enjoy the a/c and load some rounds.

chaos254

How much is actually saved after you buy the equipment needed, powder, casings, etc?

I use to go the range all the time but I have cut back a lot because of cost.

abearden

How much is actually saved after you buy the equipment needed, powder, casings, etc?

I use to go the range all the time but I have cut back a lot because of cost.
It's been a while since I reloaded, but depending on the round you can save yourself 40-60%. With low ammo supplies, you can save yourself a lot more.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends. When ammo got scarce reloading supplies got hard to find also. Primers, brass and powder all went up and were hard to locate. You have to shoot/load a fair amount for it to pay off for you. I used to shoot quite a bit but not so much anymore since the fishing accident. Haven't reloaded lately so not sure what the delta is between buying in bulk and reloading.

High Five H2

in my experience with reloading, you save a bit of money but the real benefit is making your own bullets exactly how you want that for your own rifle. my dad reloads obsessively for hours at a time. I think he may have some kind of mental issue with it.... he probably does save gobs of money because he's been using the same equipment for 30 years or so, which cost him $50 or so. the same stuff would be a lot more today. I want to start reloading because I like the idea of fully customizing your bullets to your target and rifle and whatnot, but I don't have the time or money or space. I just get my dad to do it :)

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did experiment with different powders and loads. It also was somewhat relaxing to go load 4-500 rounds. That was my time. Sort of like tractor therapy. No one bothers you while you are on a tractor. :)

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hah.......Alex is gonna be a "brass whore" before long.

That was the nickname we gave to a guy that used to go shooting with us all the time.

Dude was picking up empty cases before they even got cool.

Got kicked out of an indoor gun range one time for sweeping up and collecting other peoples brass.

We made great sport of his habits..........

Until all of the ammo shortages hit.

Then all of those 25 gallon drums of used brass, stockpiled bullets, primers and powder made a LOT of sense.

While we were nursing our .22, 9mm, .45, .223, etc......He was shooting **** up like a character in a Michael Bay movie.

Good luck with your new hobby and have fun.

poncho1965

Tried reloading with a single stage setup. Boring, tedious, just not my thing. Don't shoot enough anymore. This was in my 20's, think I have more patience now :) should try it again.

Mike

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I progressive isn't as boring. The 550 does four different actions with each pull. You put out a lot more product for the same effort.

RamRod

For us Canadians - what is reloading? "Packing" your own bullets?

Ha! Go to Cabela's in the ammo section and you can see we do re-loading here but have a hard time getting the gun powder... We have everything else sitting on the selves but it's hard to get the key ingredient!

kflips

it is amazing to see the variance in accuracy of diiferent loads, the impact of hot rounds on your brass and primer, and to test and get the best round for your weapon. i am a firm believer in reloading

abearden

it is amazing to see the variance in accuracy of diiferent loads, the impact of hot rounds on your brass and primer, and to test and get the best round for your weapon. i am a firm believer in reloading
Nothing like working up a load that resonates well with your barrel and drops a rifle below 0.5 MOA.