• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

how do i replace the fan clutch on I5

JonBishop

i went and got a Hayden Fan Clutch today and i need to get it in because the heat is rising and my temp gauge is getting higher too lol

so can someone give me some pointers on it, is it a quick install and what steps and such, finally getting to do stuff to the hummer feels good again! lol

CaseyS

I am ALMOST certain that thread is left handed. Inspect the threads closely to see which way they rotate. Get a big wrench and give it a good whack with a BFH and it will thread right off. You may have to pull the shroud to get the fan out of there. Bolt the fan to the new clutch and you are good to go. Check your coolant level while you are at it.

Chocflip201

In the Rocky Mountains
If you have an air hammer, or have access to one, give it a quick pop on the corner of the nut (yes left handed threads) that's the quickest and easiest way to get it off.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Or get/rent these tools and make it easy on yourself (36mm hub wrench and spanner).
yhyry5e4.jpg

hydyrehe.jpg

Dennis did a great DIY write up here on the forum on replacing one. Just search "fan clutch".

Last edited:

rsc

I don't know if they are left or right handed, but standing at the bumper looking at the engine the wrench should turn counter-clockwise to loosen the fan nut. Usually a sharp hit on the handle pops it loose.

JonBishop

thank you everyone for the help, i think im good to go tomorrow :) thanks again!!! im sure ill be posting pics of the turn out :)