• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bebe's Long Travel H3 Build Thread - A Boy Howdy Story

High Five H2

need i say more

YES

edit: dang it this was supposed to be in all caps for humorous effect :-(

also, I like keeping threads consolidated. it soothes my need for organization and standardization. this forum isn't as anal as others about necro-bumping, which I appreciate.

edit 2: nailed it!

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
BDDF7029-425B-46EB-8F15-8FE066E67FC2.jpegView attachment 24629New addition to Bebe’s H3b
40” coopers
Before Moab it Will have a 6 lug 14 bolt H2 rear end
4D002B55-47D7-438F-A653-31C0CC420733.jpeg477167BB-0652-4F01-838C-1038499E161B.jpeg258BE5F9-B7BE-44E7-81CD-D189BCFF13B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D375F0F-7E6E-4348-9C47-4E6BEACAB92C.jpeg
    8D375F0F-7E6E-4348-9C47-4E6BEACAB92C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 436
Last edited:

atvspeed4

Awesome! We are doing the "H2" rear swap late this summer as well. After snapping the rear axleshaft in Moab on 37s we realized we need alloy shafts and the 14 bolt semifloat to start. I forget the RPO code but there is an escalade 14 bolt semifloat that already has the wheel speed sensors, disk brakes and most importantly 6 bolt pattern. it is slightly narrower than the H2 axle which will help alot with tucking the tires in the rear. We are going to just install the H2 elocker carrier we have in the shop into the escalade housing.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
Awesome! We are doing the "H2" rear swap late this summer as well. After snapping the rear axleshaft in Moab on 37s we realized we need alloy shafts and the 14 bolt semifloat to start. I forget the RPO code but there is an escalade 14 bolt semifloat that already has the wheel speed sensors, disk brakes and most importantly 6 bolt pattern. it is slightly narrower than the H2 axle which will help alot with tucking the tires in the rear. We are going to just install the H2 elocker carrier we have in the shop into the escalade housing.

We're about 2" wider in the front then a stock H3. H2 rear was as close as we could get with out going custom and the price was right. H2 also has the 55 tooth speed sensor,13' vented discs and dual brake calipers that alone is a nice brake upgrade over the H3. The rest is just machine work,gears and a remodeled rear driveline.

They no longer make 513 gears for the semi float axle so were going with 488 and a regear on the front.
We'll have some dana 44-513 gears for sale soon with less then 50 miles:sigh:

atvspeed4

We're about 2" wider in the front then a stock H3. H2 rear was as close as we could get with out going custom and the price was right. H2 also has the 55 tooth speed sensor,13' vented discs and dual brake calipers that alone is a nice brake upgrade over the H3. The rest is just machine work,gears and a remodeled rear driveline.

They no longer make 513 gears for the semi float axle so were going with 488 and a regear on the front.
We'll have some dana 44-513 gears for sale soon with less then 50 miles:sigh:

Randy's still has the 5.13s in stock for the 9.5:

Big2dabank

Bebes rig is looking more awesome than ever. Seeing this old thread, makes me want to hit the garage and dive into reworking the suspension on the H2, 13 years and 260K plus miles and I think we both need some serious upgrades.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
After a couple of delays and not being ready for Moab the project was put on the back burner:sigh:

Until now.:giggle:I'll be doing the install next weekend

6 Lug semi float 14 bolt H2 axle that will be in Bebe's H3
13" vented discs with dual piston calipers. 488 gears with an ARB locker.
IMG_0049.jpg

Last edited:

4speedfunk

So this axle is an AAM-9.25? This has same diff cover as the Burban 2500 axle I got rid of. It’s got 14 bolts on the cover but, the shape is different from the traditional 14 bolt that everyone is familiar with. I always wondered what it was called.

Last edited:

bebe

On Pages 44 and 45 of the AAM Catalog (2013) the "AAM 925 14 Bolt w/Electric Locking Differential" is specific to the H2. While the cover might look the same on the "Burb" one you tossed, they are different. The H2 is wider, and at the time had Exciter Rings (tone rings) and came with a locking differential. (2003 - 2009).

atvspeed4

On Pages 44 and 45 of the AAM Catalog (2013) the "AAM 925 14 Bolt w/Electric Locking Differential" is specific to the H2. While the cover might look the same on the "Burb" one you tossed, they are different. The H2 is wider, and at the time had Exciter Rings (tone rings) and came with a locking differential. (2003 - 2009).
Axle shafts are also different and thicker/ taper different (up to the same splines obviously). Surprisingly there was alot of thought that went into the H2 14 bolt semi float

bebe

Deer Valley 8.30.2020 Elements.jpg

We took the Bebemonster on her first trip rock crawling along with the Pups

My faith has been restored! The Cooper 40's have a much stiffer sidewall providing far less sidewall roll than the 38" BFG's I had on her previously.

Along with the new shoes came some new Hutchinson's. The 14 bolt H2 rear end is wider, just enough to ask the rear suspension to work better, the 6.0 needs zero acceleration to crawl, didn't need to BTM once!

Wow is all I can say. Can't wait for the Forests to open back up so i can take her out again :horns: