• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bebe's Long Travel H3 Build Thread - A Boy Howdy Story

bebe

So far everything is being made from 1 3/4 .250 wall with the exception of the upper a-arm, it's 1 1/4 .250 wall.

So here is a short list of what still needs to be done:

Clevis' need to be milled, threads needs to be cleaned up

Rack needs to be mounted, tie rod length needs to be measured and fabricated, fitted, and cycled

Drivers side axle should be done by then

A-arms are going to come back off and get welded to the table and gusseted, and plated and made for the D/S

Then we need to set up both the rear diff with the 5:13's and the front with the 5:13's and an ARB, wire and plumb the ARB.

At this point I'm sure is when all the bracing will be added to the drop cradle.

Mount all of the 38's on the Hutchinsons and have them taken down and balanced

Get a front Drive line measured and made

Get the shocks ordered (we will need to assemble everything and weigh the corners before we can figure the coils we'll need).

Adjust the ride height in the rear if necessary

Then it's time for some testing:D

bebe

Clevis's done and mounted on the Rack:

Clevis.jpg

bebe

This one's for Doc:

IMG_2433.jpg

Comparison with the stock H3 Rack

IMG_2434.jpg

And my sessy long side axle. Doesn't Dean do beautiful work??? So sparkly :flipoff2:

IMG_2435.jpg

bebe

Thanks Jamie. Dave came by the shop today to see it in person...he can't wait to see how it works on the trail :D

I have a couple of vids to share. The first is after we adjusted both the UCA Pivot mount location to reduce plunge and camber at both full droop and full compression, I think it worked well:

The second is after the rack was mocked up and the Tie Rods were made and connected up....thanks again to Dan at RuffStuff Specialties for being there on a Saturday so we could drop in and pick up our bad ass rod ends:grinpimp:

Here is a pic of Dan and Dean's Hardware co-mingling:

IMG_2444.jpg

I have never seen Jeff so happy. He jumped so high in the the air when we took this video LOL and did a jig.

Thank you Jeff for all your hard work and persistence throughout this project so far. We are in the home stretch now, and it's all thanks to you (and Rick :grinpimp: ) For me it's a two year dream coming true.

Bebe

bebe

Ok...as of today the rack has been hard mounted:

Front View:

Steeringrackmount.jpg

Side view:

SRMSideView.jpg

And some of Jeff's pretty welds - these are Mig, and what he has done her is completed the weld to the frame, and reinforced the UCA mounts with some plate front and back.

UpperCAMounts.jpg

We are getting closer and closer to A-Arms! :grinpimp:

bebe

Jeff has been biiiizzzee!!!!!

Drop Cradle and mounts done

IMG_2459.jpg

Skid Plate/Steering Rack Supports

Skidfront.jpg

SkidBars.jpg

Upper Bracing

Frontcrossmember.jpg

Center Section back from being Blasted (thanks WeBilt Dave :)

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

The most exciting part for me....the Lower A-Arms are on the table

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

bebe

More goodies arriving. 35 spline ARB, 5:13 R&P, and the 35 spline long side axle flange

IMG_2497.jpg

Some extended Stainless steel custom Brake lines from Crown Performance

IMG_2498.jpg

CAT Black Satin finish - a tough epoxy based aerosol

IMG_2499.jpg

UCA's - on the table

IMG_2506.jpg

Off the table and smokin

IMG_2512.jpg

Center chunk painted up

IMG_2545.jpg

Upper and Lower drivers side

IMG_2544.jpg

Ride height

IMG_2547.jpg

Full Compression

IMG_2552.jpg

Pic of Knuckle and Mounts

IMG_2556.jpg

bebe

Camber is a front/back angle, while this is side-to-side.

I believe you'd call this "kingpin inclination angle", and it's job is to set "scrub radius" and induce some return-to-center behavior in the steering.

I can see how having the heims hit the bolts square at ride height would be valuable, especially if ride height is right in the middle of travel.

Camber = top of tire tipped in or out

Caster = Alignment of upper and Lower Ball Joint Pivots at Knuckle (ours is set at 7*)

KPI or King Pin Inclination= Angle of Upper and Lower Ball Joint in relation to WMS (wheel mounting surface)

Scrub Radius = distance from WMS axis to KPI axis/intersect

images

The Center of the A-Arms are not flat to keep the radius of travel in a consistent arc. When using a tripod type joint this assists in reducing/minimizing plunge of the inner joint.

Both Upper and Lower OEM A-Arms had this same tip up at the end, I think we ended up at 14*. The Upper and Lower Mounts at the Knuckle are angled back towards the WMS. In order to keep the OEM radius, we followed the geometry.

bebe

Drivers side took a lot less time to build, ARB and front diff are installed, so here is a front on shot...

IMG_2573.jpg

so you can see how the 38's fit:

Full compression

IMG_2568.jpg

Ride Height

IMG_2569.jpg

Full Droop

IMG_2570.jpg

Front corner view at ride height

IMG_2571.jpg

This pic shows the tire width

IMG_2565.jpg

bebe

Oh....Jeff just sent me some bling pics :)

2 inch Fox Coilovers (12 inch travel shocks)
Tender coils
Dust Covers
Fox Bumps with cans

bling.jpg

These will get installed this weekend.So we will be building hoops and mounting the Bumps.

Once we get the truck on the ground, we will be able to weigh it and or the coil springs for the shock.

Then when the Trans and PCM come back next week, we will be able to ramp it, and figure out what type of adjustments are needed in the rear suspension, and how much travel we can get out of it. Then we will order the Fox Shocks for the rear.

Oh yeah, and a huge shout out to Tommy @ Poly Performance, I ordered this yesterday and it was at the shop by noon today. Sick Service....Sick!

bebe

So this next post is going to be H3 specific.

The H3 Adventure Package comes with the BW4493 4:1 Transfer case and an Eaton E-Locker. To date I think they are the only OEM vehicles that did this from the Factory. So the part number is a GM Part number. However, Eaton does make this same locker for their aftermarket, and it fits in both the AAM 850 and 860 rear 10 Bolt GM Corp rear ends.

Well if you break a side gear, and it chews up the center pin (I think when Jeff e-mailed it to me he said it reminded him of a Lady in Rio Linda) :laughing: :

SideGearCarnage.jpg

CrossPin.jpg

Everyone meaning Randy's ring and pinion and West Coast will tell you, that because it's for an H3 you need to order a whole new locker. Unless of course you know a very resourceful Lady who thinks it's total BS and calls Eaton directly :D

They wanted to tell me I was using it wrong, and that I had been beating on it, my tires are too big (35's) and that I didn't use it properly. (SO what?) I just told him all I needed were the side gears and the pin, and that's all I wanted to buy. He asked me to hold, came back and gave me a part number for an aftermarket kit. :D

SO all you H3 folks reading this: you do not have to buy a new locker ($800.00) from GM if you break a side gear, you can buy kit # 29296-00S for $150.00. :flipoff2:

Just call West Coast Differentials and ask for Jay - he'll know exactly what you are talking about. :mr-t:

bebe

So here are some more pics:

The Custom Dana 44 that Jeff built :D

diff.jpg

CustomD44.jpg

The comparison from the old H3 OEM and the New MFS built D44

Diffs.jpg

And here is the mostly finished suspension:

Yes the tie rods are bent :flipoff2:

TieRodsDone.jpg

Jeff said it is spot on through the travel cycle. I can't wait to see it in person. The tie rods are curved so that at ride height, the heim sits center, the mount on the knuckle is tipped in towards the tire. This because where the OEM steering rack is mounted high above the Differential, so to keep proper steering angles the tie rods had to be mounted at the knuckle tipped into the tire.

bebe

12/5/2010 5:32 PM

Custom Rock Rings for the Hutchinsons...

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Have I said yet how cool Torchmate is :smokin:

bebe

Here is a look at the unfinished shock hoops. Jeff got the fox bumps tacked in for fitment as well but I didn't have my camera with me.

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

Now all we have to do is put the bracing in for the hoops.

Other stuff going on:

My trans will be here Sunday
My PCM arrived today from Wayne
Still waiting to hear about my e-locker parts from West Coast, they shipped but have not arrived yet.

Once we get the rear end back together we will be able to put her her on her wheels and weigh for springs....getting closer :bounce:

bebe

Busy weekend. We made some progress on a few things:

The rock rings are painted, have a couple of more aesthetic things to finish.

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

5:13's for the rear Eaton e-locker getting put together with a big thanks to Jay at West Coast

IMG_2670.jpg

Fox Bumps are installed, shown here at full bump

IMG_2623.jpg

And here is the whole Enchilada

IMG_2626.jpg

bebe

The travel's looking really good.

IMG_2656.jpg

Rick decided he would start modeling - mostly because we needed some 'scale'. Rick is a dash over 6 feet tall, and sorry girls, he's taken :D

Full Compession
IMG_2648.jpg

Ride Height
IMG_2647.jpg

Full Droop
IMG_2646.jpg

bebe

We got her on her wheels today...stretched her out, weighed her...just like a baby being born :smokin:

H3LongTravel104.jpg

H3LongTravel102.jpg

H3LongTravel100.jpg

H3LongTravel105.jpg

bebe

Here is another comparison:

My buddy Sewie came up from the Bay Area, he and I had similarly set up rigs, that we ran both Fordyce and Rubicon in. His rig has a mild torsion bar lift is on 35" tires, and some other suspension mods, so we parked them nose to nose so we could see the difference between what it was and what it is.

H3LongTravel120.jpg

It's subtle, yes?

bebe

Christmas didn't stop the guys from working last weekend, but I had the flu, so I'm just now getting to the pics:

The new drive line was perfect, but it was just a little too close to the Trans Pan, so some additional clearance on the pan was required.

IMG_2686.jpg

The finished pan
IMG_2698.jpg

Interior shots

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

Jeff also finished up the upper skins on the lower a-arms,

IMG_2694.jpg

And my Rear shocks and Eibach Coil springs came in from POLY PERFORMANCE :grinpimp: Such and awesome vendor. Your service ROCKS.

We ended up going with 500/650 on the springs.

IMG_2692.jpg

Rick stopped by RUFF STUFF SPECIALTIES :grinpimp: in his way down to the shop and picked up some new u-bolts and Limit Straps - very nice BTW :smokin:

bebe

I'm going to have to learn to wheel it all over again...It's tall, but luckily the rear is still a bit higher than the front so visibility is about the same.

It felt good. Wayne did a great job on the program.

The combination of gears/tires is perfect, now I can't wait to get it out on the freeway to see how that has changed.

It's just tall enough I don't need a step to get in when I'm wearing jeans and boots, but I wouldn't be able to do it in a skirt or heels, so Rick said he would make some detachable steps for me.

Jeff made the rear bump stops for it last night, we still need to install the rear shocks. I can't tell you how funny the truck felt with no sway bars and no rear shocks, total hooptie LOL

RearBumps.jpg

bebe

I know these pics may look the same, but they are very different. We finally got the right spring rates ( "pimp" TOMMY @ POLY "pimp" ), installed the rear sway bar, installed the rear bump stops, installed the rear shocks....... and it worked, I mean really worked. No body roll, no bounce, super solid.

Here we finally got the front to actually compress:

Before

IMG_2769.jpg

After

IMG_2817.jpg

Here is a little side shot so you can see how much more up-travel we are getting with the right springs:

IMG_2815.jpg

Then we needed to flex the rear so we could see how the front would react:

this is stupid...

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

When Jeff got it here, he MADE me come over to the corner and use all my strenghth to rock the truck - it barely moved - Moab Rim...here I come :flipoff:

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

I'll have more forklift video in the morning.

All that is left to do:
More front bracing in the drop cradle
Front sway bar
Skid plates
Tear it apart and paint it

THAT"S IT!!!!:D