• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

snatch straps

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
That is why i always stay a safe distance from any snatch or tow strap.

I can also attest to the bubba rope... someone used it on me when I was stuck. Two h3's pulling me at the same time couldn't get me out but this guy and his propane buggy with a bubba rope pulled me out first try. 4speed knows, he was there.

Best4x4

Yeah the ARB snatch strap uses the kinetic energy in the strap to just yank em out. I was surprised how easy it was when I first used mine years ago vs a normal tow strap.

RamRod

Yeah the groups I go with require proper recovery points with good hookups or you can come out

No chains
No towing from hitch ball (break off from the shear force and turn into a small cannon ball)
All recovery spectators need to keep a radius of 1.5x the distance of the strap
And everyone on the club run has to attend a 5 hour course which goes over trail (recovery safety) before you can ever come out....

Overboard? That video says no, but also they are looking for every reason they can to shut down the local trails which we only have a few of :(

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

digglesworth

I wish there was somewhere around me that I could go and learn some good 4x4 recovery techniques. I've looked for books and dvds but haven't found much.

Best4x4

Land Rover used to have events to train Land Rover owners all about their rigs, and they also taught about recoveries and trail tread lightly (some thing 99% of Jeep owners are clueless about).

RamRod

I wish there was somewhere around me that I could go and learn some good 4x4 recovery techniques. I've looked for books and dvds but haven't found much.

I am very great full that the Toyota club is very involved in the community, putting on courses, organizing trail maintenance with local officials, basically working hard to keep our area's open... And now no longer exclusively a Toyota club....

Last trail run I was on with these Toyota guys we came across the local Jeep club attempting a recovery with a winch line... But not static winching.... They were using it like a snatch strap... Needless to say it snapped, shot back, and damaged the jeeps grill & hood... There is a video posted by the club on YouTube and at the end of the vid the driver is all upset and recorded saying stuff like "I am always breaking stuff, every time I come out, I don't get it"

I am glad I wasn't learning back habits from these guys!

digglesworth

I may stumble across some more resources when I get out to my first ORV park next weekend. I posted something in the Midwest section but haven't had any bites. Looks like it might be a solo adventure and see who I can tag along with once I get there.

2010H3TAlpha

Love my Master Pull snatch strap, I think it is at least a 30k. Speaks volumes to their quality when they sponsor wheeling events and do a lot of the recoveries with their own gear off the shelf.

SuperBuickGuy

I have a Bubba rope. I've been through most of the straps (ARB makes quality products, but I've not tried their recovery rope) and cheap straps never save you money because you will buy three for every one bubba rope.

With that said, the strap is generally the last resort or used for light sticks. If the vehicle is really stuck, blocks, chains to trees, and a winch with a snatch block are the first choice because you can control the pull.

Straps work, Bubba ropes do kinetic pulls very well - but the technique is 1) attach to a clevis and a frame mounted point. 2) make the stuck vehicle stand on his brakes while the recovery vehicle pulls back on the strap to create tension. 3) once the rope is fully tensioned (this takes practice!), the stuck vehicle releases his brakes and should pop right out. If he doesn't pop out, use a winch. Never do the 40 mph pull run at it, that's where people die. Also, with a Bubba rope, you should be able to pull out heavier vehicles if you practice the stretch and release method.

and never, ever tow with a recovery rope - it works in an emergency - but that emergency best be good because it'll impregnate your rope with dirt - which will cause premature failure of the rope. But a $15 tow strap if you need to tow someone out of the woods

digglesworth

I ended up with a TJM snatch strap. I went with the 17,600lb strap. Everything I read on snatch straps said to size the strap 2.5-3 times the weight of the vehicle. That way the strap gets proper stretch. Too heavy a strap, and it won't stretch enough stressing the attachment points and defeating some of the purpose of the "kinetic" extraction.... I figure it's a good place to start.

Chocflip201

In the Rocky Mountains
I have the 30k ARB. Have only use it once so far. I dig it.

Ope I lied, found my packaging.

55817945-31D6-4F77-BFD6-42D3A2B43C9E_zpsebp44rvb.jpg