• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

THORparts TRAIL PAK...

4speedfunk

Just in time for tax-refund season! THORparts has just geared up for summer, and we have all of your favorite parts in-stock and ready to ship.

• Front Winch Bumpers
  • SUV Rear Bumpers
  • T Rear Bumpers (supplies are very limited)
  • Skid Plates
  • UCP Beef-up Plates
  • Bull Bars
  • ABS-ready Dana 44 hubs
  • H3 to Dana 44 caliper mounts
  • SAS bracket kits
  • SAS links, custom housings, etc.

DSC_0132.JPG01-25batch-1.JPGbumpers 002.JPGskid-2.jpgbrackets 016.jpgbullbatch2.JPGTHORhubs1.JPGbrackets 014.JPGmock-up 001.JPG

Ask about a THORparts TRAIL PAK for your H3/H3T. Get discounts for front & rear bumper packages! Shoot me a parts request and a ZIP code and I will get you a price.

www.thorparts.com

Last edited:

High Five H2

tell me more about this SAS gear.........

you know what would be radical? a kit with everything you need and directions and stuff... I have never set up a link suspension before........

i am excite

4speedfunk

06H3...Yes, for 2.75" tubes? Sitting here on a shelf with your name on em.

The Solid Axle stuff has been in my hip pocket for some time now. The parts I came up with are not top secret...and several people already have some or all of these parts, and are currently embarking on their own SA-journeys. Its difficult to put together a single "kit" to please everyone. I currently know of ten solid-axle H3's, and every one of them is different! So I plan to break the parts out into smaller sub-kits that address each particular part of the swap. That will give the builder the option to go off in more hard-core directions if he wants. Someday H3's will be cheap enough to be worthy of building a trail-bomber but, right now I need mine to be fully functional and all-purpose and that's why I chose the parts I did. My main focus has been on the Dana 44, 3-link, coil-spring rig and that's what all my SAS parts are designed to fit. Its "mild" by off-road standards but I feel its the best compromise between: budget, parts availability, ride-quality, and performance.

SuperBuickGuy

06H3...Yes, for 2.75" tubes? Sitting here on a shelf with your name on em.

The Solid Axle stuff has been in my hip pocket for some time now. The parts I came up with are not top secret...and several people already have some or all of these parts, and are currently embarking on their own SA-journeys. Its difficult to put together a single "kit" to please everyone. I currently know of ten solid-axle H3's, and every one of them is different! So I plan to break the parts out into smaller sub-kits that address each particular part of the swap. That will give the builder the option to go off in more hard-core directions if he wants. Someday H3's will be cheap enough to be worthy of building a trail-bomber but, right now I need mine to be fully functional and all-purpose and that's why I chose the parts I did. My main focus has been on the Dana 44, 3-link, coil-spring rig and that's what all my SAS parts are designed to fit. Its "mild" by off-road standards but I feel its the best compromise between: budget, parts availability, ride-quality, and performance.

I'm interested in this - I plan on a triangulated 4 link suspension with heim joints (I'm relocating the gas tank).... from your description, the brackets you're building sound like what I'm looking for (especially the coil-over bits)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You can probably make a 4 link front work too with radius arms. Weld the UCA mounts on the LCAs. Probably is with it unloading. A lot of JK 4 links are like that

SuperBuickGuy

You can probably make a 4 link front work too with radius arms. Weld the UCA mounts on the LCAs. Probably is with it unloading. A lot of JK 4 links are like that

that's a ladder bar suspension - ladder bars have lots of trouble flexing (as do parallel 4 links)
I did misspeak a bit... I'll put johnny joints in all the contact points with a triangulated 4 bar.

4speedfunk

On the 4-link rear...I doubt if I have anything that would help you. You might want get a kit from one of the fab shops. Ballistic, Ruff Stuff, WFO, Barnes, etc....most of them offer generic 4-link rear kits. Also check with Dana60...he just finished a similar build on his H3. I'm actually a supporter of the rear leaf setup...does everything its supposed to...its simple, cheap and best of all...its already there!

On the front...I've not been able to fit a traditional 4-link in the space available.

As far as the radius arm (actually a 2-link) idea...it would certainly work but why? Its the same amount of cuttin & choppin to install a true 3 or 4-link so I question why one would opt for radius arms. They're fine for lifted rigs with minimal travel but, they don't belong on flexy off-road suspensions where you can see 10" to 14" of travel. The problem with radius arms is that the axle housing rotates as it travels up and down. Therefore your pinion and caster angles vary all over the place. IMO...if you're going to this much trouble to build a suspension from scratch, forget the radius arm design.

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

To answer the implied question on your first comment - why - I do SAR, but I don't always carry SAR equipment. Also, SAR equipment loads vary between winter and summer. Summertime I carry a lot less gear. Leaf springs are excellent at maintaining a ride height for a given weight. With coil over, I get the ability to adjust ride height and get dual rate springs. Dual rate is important because summer time, it's nice not to be pounded into dust by stiff springs, but winter time - on snow - there isn't as much pounding so I can run a soft progressive spring on top of my other spring..... though, I may decide that air bags in coils are a better idea that $500 each fox springs.

I agree with you, that leaf springs are good in lots of situations.... just not mine - I'm not a fan of re-engineering simply because I can; in this case, I need more flexibility than what leaf springs can do.

On the front, I'll buy a Jeep if I switch to solid axles (or build my Land Rover)... I like the better driveability of IFS... that said, I may, someday see what this looks like on 44s, but even if I do... it'll still be IFS because I can (and I'll have already spent Bebe bucks on the right front differential)

Thanks for the references to other (very good) bracket sellers. Mostly I do my own because I have access to a laser and solidworks....

Last edited: