• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 upper grille removal step by step

Bananatank

Hi, I'm thinking about taking off the grille to plastidip it but I am not really sure how. If anyone could do a step by step for me that would be great! Or even some people who have taken it off, plastidipped it and put it back on would be great. Thanks guys!!

Panzer07

Should look for that thread...I seen one, (I think hunner post a pic of the screws to look for and where they located there's really nothing to it. I took it apart just by feel...

Sent From Someone Else's iPhone 'Cause I'm Too Broke To Own One.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The grill has two sections. To remove the assembly, it's four bolts (two in front, need a ratchet with a longer extension, two on the back) and two nuts, all 10 mm. Then its plastic snaps on the ends into the fenders. Just give a firm tug straight back. The two nuts and two bolts on the back are easily visible when you open the hood and look at the back side of the grill.

You don't necessarily need to remove the inner "liner" that gives the grill its strength to use plastidip, bedliner, etc. The link above includes pictures with the liner removed.

Bananatank

Thanks guys big help! Will be doing this soon. Has anyone done this with a picture of this to show me so I can see how long the plastidip will hold up painted over chrome?

hockeymanam

I think plastidip is a neat concept and belongs on the import car scene not an h3 IMO. I used duplicolor bed liner in a spray can and did three original coats and it has lasted over a year while slapping against tree limbs on the trail. It has a slight textured surface that gives it a "hummer look". All my friends who had plasti dip and saw my bedliner would peel theirs off and bedline it back. I used it on mirrors and door handles, and even with touching the door handle everyday its still on there like new and plastidip could not do the same!!

sf2740

Probationary Member
I jus plastidipped my grill. Four screws like the previous thread said and its off. I dont do a lot of off-road and the plastidip is holding up fine. I put about 5-6 layers though so it comes out nice and even. Make sure your first 2 layers are pretty light. Good Luck

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I went the bedliner route and added clearcoat on top for easier cleaning. Haven't tried plastidip on anything.

Bananatank

Alright thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with plastidip. I'm not completely sure yet though. I'm just beginning to change up my h3 so I thought I'd start off with blacking it out. I then am going to crank the t-bar. Is there anything I need to do after cranking the tbar besides getting an alignment?

poncho1965

nupuhuze.jpg

You've probably seen others, here's mine with plastidip.

Mike

Bananatank

Ahh i thought it was a spelling error. Alright so its time to get to the bottom of it. Plastidip or bedline. If you plastidipped or bedlined please send a pic of the grille and say what you did and how long it's been i wanna do this right lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayden

Toyo M/T
Ahh i thought it was a spelling error. Alright so its time to get to the bottom of it. Plastidip or bedline. If you plastidipped or bedlined please send a pic of the grille and say what you did and how long it's been i wanna do this right lol.

Grill After.jpg

Plasti-dipped

took grille off, put 4 coats on

UT-H3

I've been thinking on plastidipping my brush/grill guard and my wheels. I don't do a lot of off roading either. Just to make it not so chrome-y

Hayden

Toyo M/T
Looks good, is this recently or ?

That was the first time i did it, ive done it over since then but it looks the same as that now but dirty. i need to find a better way to clean this stuff

oldintake2.jpg

this is my most recent picture of it that shows atleast part of the grille (taken yesterday), ill post a better picture tomorrow because its dark now

Bananatank

That was the first time i did it, ive done it over since then but it looks the same as that now but dirty. i need to find a better way to clean this stuff

View attachment 13995

this is my most recent picture of it that shows atleast part of the grille (taken yesterday), ill post a better picture tomorrow because its dark now

Alright thx!

Bananatank

From what I can tell from my wheels and emblems no chipping or anything so far I've hand washed it scrubbed the rims down a week or so after I dipped them and nothing came off but if i had to guess you'd be safe for that.

digglesworth

Make sure you get the edges really good. Flip it over on the face and spray around the edges from the backside. Then flip it and spray the front. I didn't and I can see chrome around the edges on mine. I gotta take my grill off again to replace all the clips I broke so I'll respray it. I don't wanna have to take it off again for quite some time cause those clips cost me $30.