• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 End of warranty celebrations

amrg

Just placed a large order. Truck will be down for over a month to get the new parts installed. Teasers coming soon...

amrg

Parts are arriving, just got the Griffin Dual core radiator,

c0696b1da5017204270391fc4435f80e.jpg
abbee731ff31a7348bd9ea8a10a6e54f.jpg
cb52358c80a5c68eae8f2dc6efd09c0d.jpg
651aec69f3c75c5520aacfc007551947.jpg

amrg

Installed a snorkel, will be handy since in our last outing a fellow friend almost dived his jeep underwater (he was testing the depth at night for the rest to follow)
754c6252b564471b9ec58a7ecf2c8af3.jpg
3832b8c2dc19d3397a43c96845a95d5c.jpg

lsv_palana

New Updates, Added an oil catch can to reduce the amount of oil going back through the intake (hopefully I'd keep a cleaner throttle body for a long time esp since Im using a K&N oil filter)

attachment.php

Started taking pictures of my wheeling trips:

attachment.php

Modded the UCA metal stop to have a Control Arm bushing on it. It stops the loud metal clunk that happens at full drop and completely stopped the metal bind in the C.V.s that used to happen afterwards. Only problem is, they don't handle alot of abuse. Im running a 1" thick one and it lasted 3 wheeling trips (150 miles total) and one of them is starting to rip apart.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Hit 100 K (Kms) on the odometer:

attachment.php

Added a trans cooler, trucool 30K GVW, 34K BTU, just in time as it hit 110+ f for a week now.

attachment.php

A picture of the dual fans (stock GM setup for this region)

attachment.php

Trans cooler in place (pretty big):

attachment.php

How the truck looks with the cooler behind the grille:

attachment.php
Where do you take these bump stops for upper arm ?

Main spare part for my Hummer while off-roading - sattelite phone !

amrg

They are from energy suspension. They work but they are not very strong, maybe last 5000 kms.
Better to do a limit strap setup!

amrg

Brand new GM crate LS376/480.
2 of them!
The one in the background will be replacing the 5.3 in my Alpha (at 6600 USD I thought its more value for money than a SC, and overhere if the SC didnt come factory o the truck then I cant have it legally)
Will be running a 3000-32000 rpm Circle D converter. (Tried to keep a balance between performance on road and offroad with the stall rating)
The trans won't be built for now as I have plans for a 6L80 (plan to finish the engine swap first). Apart from a Internal speed sensor (ISS) my trans is running great. The 6L80 has a rev speed upto 6500, that allows me to utilise all the power provided by the engine (the ls3 revs all the way to 6600) without destroying transmissions (the 4l60, even built, doesnt like high revs and high power, just one of them unless you through big money on them)
Tuning side, I got a copy of the base ls376/480 tune online, will be using hptunes to load it on my truck. (But from research the tune isn't ideal for driveability)
Programming still haven't been figured out completely but will update after christmass/newyears. (It will probably be a street tune using hptuners pro)
The crate engine comes with 2 options for manifold setup, this one has the drop down configuration (exhaust) which hopefully will work othwrwise I'll re-use the ones on the Alpha.

amrg

For cooling, will be running a griffin double row radiator (shown in an earlier post). Now I never had cooling issues with the dual electric spal fans installed on the truck, but the 6.2 is a different engine and I want to be prepared (I couldn't find any 5.3 vs 6.2 comparison on engine cooling)
For the trans I got a tru-cool 40K trans cooler. The 30K cooler I have is perfect for my application but with a higher stall rated torque converter I need more cooling esp when I offroad.

amrg

I thought so but desert/dune/beach (my terrain) is much more forgiving on the differentials than rock climbing. There no such thing as full grip, with some power the sand gives, and I never use 4-LO
At least I didnt go with a 3500 stall! If I find 3K too much Ill drop it abit...

amrg

I had an update somewhere but I didn't link to this thread. Can't find it now so I'll give a summary:

1. On an Alpha, the swap is simple. All accessories moved from old engine to new but a tensioner pulley had to be cut inorder to allow the intake pipe to mate to the throttle body (LS3 intake manifold sits 3" lower than truck manifold)

Edit: found out there is an idler relocation bracket specific for those who convert from a truck manifold to an LS style manifold. The original bracket will still need to be cut though. But this way you keep the idler pulley.
The corvette water pump can be used with the addition of a water pump spacer kit. The exact spacing I dont know, but draw backs could be more places to have leaks.

2. Custom intake pipe similar to airdoc was needed

3. Pcmofnc took care of the tune. I supplied them a GMPP tune and they modded by original tune to mimic it. Truck did fire without a tune (base 5.3 tune)

4. I've only done 500 miles on the truck. The truck is difficult to cool down when I first fired the truck it was end of winter, ambient temps were in the 80* range and the truck would heat up to 230*.

Been experimenting with different fan setups. Down time of shipping things from the states meant alot of delays and now I managed to get the truck to run at 220* but with ambient temps of 115* and a/c so I guess I'm good to go.

5. Fixing a trans now which showed a problem (no 2nd & 4th) after the swap

6. Driving: truck felt like a sports car. Alot of tq at acceleration with all 4 tires (35s) spinning all the way to red line in 1st. The suspension twists in an unpredictable wayand squats alot in the back. Diffenetly not up for the torque and you Will need to hold the steering with two strong hands.
3rd gear feels stronger than 2nd gear when I had the 5.3 (which is why it took me so long to realize I dont have 2nd esp since I barely drove it).
Truck is crazy loud. Running 2 mufflers and 2 small resonators. I do have a cutout for more crazy loud. Truck sounds annoying at idle so exhaust needs to be modified.

Edit: 7: I forgot to mention that I had to use the H3 Alpha specific oil pan + pickup tube and the H3 Alpha specific exhaust manifold.
Any other combo wont work as they wont clear the front differential/frame rails.

Last edited:

amrg

The person that did my swap is doing an LS conversion on his Jeep wrangler TJ. Still in progress!

amrg

I cleaned up the wiring in the engine bay and installed the engine and oem battery covers

f23483852afcb6aca69af4ec0fe3a46d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk