• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fort Hood Change.org Petition

Steve #1

Take a second and sign this petition.

[URL]http://chn.ge/1cnjFwq

[/URL]
In the not-so-distant past, Fort Hood allowed off-road capable vehicles to enjoy specific training areas on the installation for recreational "wheeling." Even though Fort Hood contains an incredible source of terrain for off-road enthusiasts, it is currently off limits for this type of use according to Fort Hood regulation 210-3; ATV's and dirtbikes, however, have been given a brand new dedicated facility to ride in.

Fort Hood has been closed to ORVs for about 12 years now. It was originally shut down for an environmental and historical impact study. The study apparently found a historical sight to some extent and the entire area was closed to prevent any more damage (keep in mind this is a tank training range). I just found this petition but looks like it's been around a while. It surely won't hurt anything to sign it.

SolidusJ

Get a hunting and fishing permit on post $25 keep some rods in the truck and hit the trails works for me. MP's are never out there and if they do say something you could always say your lost. Anyone with a up to date license can get a permit to enter post and then go hunting and fishing.

rsc

I have several friends who have been ticketed more than once for wheeling back in there over the years, so it is "patrolled". I believe that during hunting season, even though you can drive out range road to your grid (after checking in with range control), you have to park on the road and not drive into the training area so if you get caught in there its a no-go. Keep in mind that the motorcycle/ATV area has been closed on and off over the years, I don't think the command's focus is on playing in the dirt and mud. There sure is some nice terrain for it back in there though and I would love to make a few trails of my own now.

BlueSteeleHorse07

My only concern with all these is were would they have these off-road areas? As a Contracting Officer, I currently have several million dollar conservation projects/contracts going on in Fort Hood. I have several contracts with civilian contractors companies that have been and currently installing "gully plugs", hundred and hundred of acres of thinning, clearing, removal of mesquites, clearing manuever lanes, etc. Hell, in the State of Texas alone, I have numerous conservation contracts, restoring wetlands, grasslands, prairies, wildlife habitats, etc. Another part of my job is working with title companies, attorneys, etc, purchasing acres and acres of land from willing landowners (these lands that we buy becomes deeded to the United States, which becomes conservation easements) who have lands that have no more agriculture value and restoring them back to its nature state, it some cases working with Ducks Unlimited to develop wetland areas along the migratory path.

And from what I understand we got more similar future projects coming up in Fort Hood. So, where would these off-road areas be if Fort Hood continue to have these "park" like areas.

Dan

SolidusJ

Run out of gate 22 heading up the BOLRA and then you'll pass by engineer lake on the left with some nice muddy ares behind the leak. Up the road another lake can't think of the name behind it great rocky areas. I've been up to the I.E.D. lanes and found some cool spots, when you go into the sportsmen center for the hunting permit they will give you a map of all the ares and rules. If you come down here I'll show you some spots with the guys.

Last edited:

BlueSteeleHorse07

Sweet! Engineer Lake is that along the route to Belton Lake, military side, the road that was used for the 12 mile course for the Fort Hood Air Assault Course? I will have to take you up on that offer, someday.

SickStringC

I just attempted to sign - looks like it's closed at just over 1,200 signatures. I hope the petition works, time to wait and see.