• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What's your next vehicle purchase?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I added a daily driver (06 Audi A3) in July but I'm not convinced that I want to keep it. It meets all of my requirements except for back seat legroom (and maybe reliability), though I rarely have back seat passengers. Have been thinking about a used GMC Terrain as a daily driver.

But every time I get back into the H3 I want to keep that as my daily driver. It's the MPG difference that keeps me in the little car (27 vs 13.5)

SuperBuickGuy

I can't imagine a situation where I can't build a better car than what the manufacturers want me to buy... add to that issue, I can't imagine why I'd want a vehicle that can be tracked, and eavesdropped real time by our government or by a clever marketeer - with the added bonus of having a black box that will tell of all my sins.

Jrkilburn

I bought a 2014 GMC Terrain V6 Denali for my wife about a month ago. I noticed a lot of styling that is similar to my H3T and she really enjoys driving it. Looking back I think the new 4cyl would have been better for fuel mileage. She is getting about 20mpg after 2000 miles. I hope it increases like my camaro did after 5000 or so.

I don't mind the OnStar so much. It's a measure of security and I completely understand the privacy concerns that were mentioned but I have had OnStar equipped and active without ever feeling intruded on for the past 10 years. I had an accident that knocked me out and I was awakened by EMS that was called by OnStar in my Suburban, who knows how long I may have been there had I not had that service active. I'll continue to take my chances with them.

LagunaH1

Hmm.... I love my Passat TDI daily driver so that car is staying for a while. The H1 is also staying for a while......

I sometimes play with the thought of getting a Ford F350 as my daily driver and then trailer the H1 to Moab but that's still years out in the future.

Edit: I guess the only slight concern I have about the Passat, is that it's hard to install more than one HAM radio in it due to the lack of space for radio control heads

08H3

I'm on the hunt for an '02-'04 Z06. If anyone has a lead, post up! Just be forewarned, I seldom jump at good deals-- only great deals.

RamRod

I think we will be buying my GF a LR3 or LR4 in the next year or so..... I am just a tad worried about reliability..

Zach

Mall Crawler
Guess it might be an Audi A3. I think I can get a great deal. Or a 07 GMC Envoy Denali with 34k on it and a 5.3. Not the best of mileage, but better than the 2. Or go get another beater Taco.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
The Wife is trying to claim her rights to pick the next car since I got the last several ('05 300C, 06 H3, 07 H2).
Of course I got to pick the last several, her last pick is the Chrysler mini-van I drive to work every day (just a little too costly to put 24 miles/day on the deuce)!

So next in the queue are: 70 Doge Challenger T/A, HUMMER H1 (this is a natural progression), 70 Mercury Cougar. These are in order of preference, but opportunity will always take precedence. She already had me pass up on an awesome little old lady 70 Cougar that I won't let her live down, that's how I ended up with the deuce (it was my leverage!).

As you can tell, practicality and gas mileage DO NOT factor into into our equation for daily drivers!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Are you tailing about the serria all terrain or the SUV terrain????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The small SUV/Crossover Terrain. Just one of the dozen or so vehicles I've been considering. Of course now that I (when I say "I" I really mean Reloader) have spent so much time fixing up the A3 that it would be impractical to get rid of it.

High Five H2

I would like to get a DD that's a bit better on gas next, i'm thinking a 04-07 CTS-V, or maybe a E46 BMW 330i. probably the caddy, though. my gf wants to get a something that can go off road too. If we get married this year then that will be next. She has an old crown vic that's a decent car, but i worry about her driving it in the snow. She likes jeep cherokees and wranglers and FJ cruisers. I'm leaning towards the FJ cruiser. Those are actually pretty cool and their aftermarket is rad. I'm kind of jealous... oh well.

LagunaH1

I think we will be buying my GF a LR3 or LR4 in the next year or so..... I am just a tad worried about reliability..

I know you will get very varying opinions about Land Rovers but for what it's worth: 2 coworkers of mine have, or have had, LR3's and love them. They use them for 95% daily driving use and 5% off-road (as in, dirt roads, camping, etc)

Pappibri

Would like to find me a old Bronco to do a build on... So, it will be either be a old school Bronco or a Ford Raptor.. Funds allowing of course...:huh:

skeptic

Since I just traded my T for an H2, it will probably be a few years before I buy a new vehicle for myself. As I've mentioned before, I really hoping GM steps up to the off-road plate and comes out with a Tahoe/Yukon with real off-road ability. A selectable locker or two, 33" tires possibly with room for larger without a lot of fuss, a bit more ground clearance and decent skid plates. That's really all it would take for me to be ready to trade my H2 in on one. Well, that and having them hit the used car market - I just don't buy new cars anymore.

The wife on the other hand... When my oldest turns 16 in about a year and a half he gets her car and she will be buying something else. Top two contenders right now are an AWD ATS or an AWD Audi TT. We've had a loaner CTS a couple times and she's taken it to work a few days.. We both agree, great car but just a little too big making the ATS seem about perfect. Unless she goes for the top down two seat option of which the TT is her first (and my last) choice. We keep our money somewhat separate and have divided up the bills in such a way that that she pays the car payments (including my H2), so she pretty much gets whatever she wants. When looking for her current car she was looking at CTS', BMWs (she hated them), A3s, S3s, TTs, etc. Apparently she got tired of looking and just came home one day with her Subaru Legacy. Would have been a CTS, but the AWD versions had only been out a year or two and were a lot more expensive than the Legacy.

Semi related - my plans for this spring are to sell my Corvette and use that money to get my Celica back on the road. If I can get it reliable (stop over heating) and maybe put in different seats it will immediately become my fair weather car.

SuperBuickGuy

Since I just traded my T for an H2, it will probably be a few years before I buy a new vehicle for myself. As I've mentioned before, I really hoping GM steps up to the off-road plate and comes out with a Tahoe/Yukon with real off-road ability. A selectable locker or two, 33" tires possibly with room for larger without a lot of fuss, a bit more ground clearance and decent skid plates. That's really all it would take for me to be ready to trade my H2 in on one. Well, that and having them hit the used car market - I just don't buy new cars anymore.

The wife on the other hand... When my oldest turns 16 in about a year and a half he gets her car and she will be buying something else. Top two contenders right now are an AWD ATS or an AWD Audi TT. We've had a loaner CTS a couple times and she's taken it to work a few days.. We both agree, great car but just a little too big making the ATS seem about perfect. Unless she goes for the top down two seat option of which the TT is her first (and my last) choice. We keep our money somewhat separate and have divided up the bills in such a way that that she pays the car payments (including my H2), so she pretty much gets whatever she wants. When looking for her current car she was looking at CTS', BMWs (she hated them), A3s, S3s, TTs, etc. Apparently she got tired of looking and just came home one day with her Subaru Legacy. Would have been a CTS, but the AWD versions had only been out a year or two and were a lot more expensive than the Legacy.

Semi related - my plans for this spring are to sell my Corvette and use that money to get my Celica back on the road. If I can get it reliable (stop over heating) and maybe put in different seats it will immediately become my fair weather car.

hmmm... I think trading a Corvette for a Celica requires the removal of at least one man-card.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
My next vehicle and project will be a low mile H3 Championship Edition V8 model. I hear that the Hummer is a very capable off-road rig.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapataint

5gn-h3t

I just got a CE and love it. I like it a lot more than the Alpha I had.

Next vehicle purchase (not anytime soon) - '09 H2. I loved my '04 H2 and wish I never got rid of it.

skeptic

hmmm... I think trading a Corvette for a Celica requires the removal of at least one man-card.

Essentially stock '81 Corvette. The Celica is an old RWD version ('77) with swapped/upgraded engine, suspension, brakes, transmission, rear end, steering.... Smaller, lighter, more HP, modern powertrain. Not your typical Corvette vs Celica comparison. I'd sell them both and buy a newer car if I thought I could get close to half of what I have into the Celica back - I'm really burnt out on classic cars but I have too much into the Celica to just dump it. If/when I get it on the road and reliable, then maybe fix up the interior a bit, I might look into selling it. Nobody is going to pay top dollar for an old Celica that you can't drive due to an overheating issue, but if I get that resolved and modernize the interior a bit I might be able to recoup some of my costs.. Either that or I may love the car again. Before the overheating issue started it was my summer vehicle, and it was far and away the most fun car I've ever driven.

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/skeptic_always/slideshow/RA29

atvspeed4

2007-2009 range rover sport supercharged. Loved my last range rover sport but want to do the kenbell blower upgrade this time... 500hp at the wheels yes please