• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Cr 500 af

SuperBuickGuy

Two wheel build? I do about 50% offroad stuff, and 50% cars - so a lot of what I do never sees the hummer world.... this is probably a stretch, but y'all might find it interesting.

As promised.... I'm still collecting bits; but after a couple maintenance items; I'll throw this together....

CR 500

2004 CRF 250 frame and new bit that needs welded on

and some other minor bits to make this fit together

Hopefully, I can reuse the monoshock and forks from the 500 in the first itineration... we'll see

Some commentary

The radiators are pretty much toast. If I put them on the 250 frame, I'm sure they'd break fairly soon.... they also require a different mounting tab. The issue is whether to buy 250 or 500 radiators - size-wise, they're pretty much identical; however, the 500 radiator has an extra tab that makes the radiator more secure - so I think I'll wait a bit before I replace them to see if I can make 500 radiators work.

The head bearings are in tough shape, so I'll be rebuilding that (while I'm at it:dee:)

The swing arm requires CR 125 spacers, so I'm waiting on those; however the shocks aren't leaking, and the bearings seem in good shape (yay)

no turning back now

keep nibbling away

and grind a bit

and here's where I pretty much left it for tonight

I need to pull the motor to pry the frame apart to fit the new wishbone... I tried doing it without, no joy.

SuperBuickGuy

more of my phantom build (lol)

pulled the motor, according to my calculations, I'll have to pull it just once more... good, it's a veritable PITA to put it in

a problem I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fix. The tank interferes with the spark plug and the cooling tubes. The cooling tubes aren't too tough because I think I can just put 90* elbows into the head.... the spark plug, OTH, I dunno.... maybe heat and melt the plastic? my googlefu will get a workout tonight

the last motor mount to deal with

start loosely put things together

for those interested in this build - these guys are the schnizzle
http://www.conversionparts500.com/

and for those who think this is just a dirt bike

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYArqKkLj-D0vBcemN3zcErqobafn-PEE

but honestly, I've never done this build, so I'm learning as I go....
which brings me, I didn't use the original front forks - about the only thing I'm re-using from the 500 is the rear shock

RamRod

Is that the style you are going for in the end? Supermoto?

Cool build!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scarsman

Sponsor
Awesome! I love the 500s! I have a '91 CR500 that is ported and polished, bored out carb, rad valve, etc. I built it for riding the dunes on Oregon when I used to live closer to them. I put it on a dyno after I built it and it pulled 59.8 hp. :D. It hauls donkeys!!!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

SuperBuickGuy

Is that the style you are going for in the end? Supermoto?

Cool build!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

At this moment, no supermoto - but who knows, when I started this build someone pointed that (and other) videos and I must say, I'm intrigued

Awesome! I love the 500s! I have a '91 CR500 that is ported and polished, bored out carb, rad valve, etc. I built it for riding the dunes on Oregon when I used to live closer to them. I put it on a dyno after I built it and it pulled 59.8 hp. :D. It hauls donkeys!!!

That's exactly what was done to this motor. I'm originally from Portland, so heading to the dunes or the Tillamook burn was an often occurrence - in fact, the reason the bike had that work done was because of a trip with this bike. We headed out, I took off on the dunes on my KX, my brother took off on his brand-new-to-him CR500, and immediately broke a ring.

Scarsman

Sponsor
How did you choose that frame? Did you look at the CRF450 frame? Years back I looked into doing that with mine and the '04 450 frame was the frame of choice at the time.

SuperBuickGuy

How did you choose that frame? Did you look at the CRF450 frame? Years back I looked into doing that with mine and the '04 450 frame was the frame of choice at the time.

using the highly scientific method of google - the opinions ran towards the smaller frame. 2004 CRF frames are the same as what Honda is currently producing, so I get all the new suspension geometry. The 450 is a larger bike, and I like short bikes for tree work. I also got a really smoking deal on the frame (and it's not stolen, which is a bonus) $100 delivered off ebay.

SuperBuickGuy

and a very small amount of work done tonight

by the time this is done - I'll probably have $1200 total in the build, so I'll do okay on it.... of course, once I ride it, the same stupid thing will happen that happens with every other vehicle I build.... it'll be too slow. If you're ever curious why I've not yet fired a 900 hp Buick motor and am already in the plans for a 2500 hp version - the above issue explains this

SuperBuickGuy

titling this would be an interesting challenge because I don't think any part of this bike has ever been titled.... but if it has been titled, that'd be even harder. Off-road, the license requirements are pretty easy - pay the tab price and attach....

Didn't get much done tonight - but at least got the motor back out without knocking the tabs off (not easy).

SuperBuickGuy

Getting a bike titled varies by state some states are pretty easy and some (like mine) aren't....Lucky for me mine was street legal off the dealers floor.. :thumbs:

this type of riding is the closest I'm going to be to street riding
[video=youtube;hIiCZ5K5KFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIiCZ5K5KFE&noredirect=1[/video]

for the life of me I can't remember what they call it, but there's a racing style (done at Pacific Raceways as well) which uses both dirt mx track and the paved track to race - that is the goal of this bike (of course, I'll also trail ride, desert ride, and fire road ride... but that's "perfect" track for this bike).

**edit***
it's called supermoto

[video=youtube;zpHC8HQyKgE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHC8HQyKgE&noredirect=1[/video]

Last edited:

Big Mike

yes sir !!!!!

It is indeed called supermoto, here is mine....As posted above 100% street legal and pretty quick for 690 thumper, I couldn't imagine how fast your bike will be.. Way faster than mine I know.. :whaa:

005-2.jpg

If you have any supermoto questions go here www.supermotojunkie.com these cats live it and they are more than willing to help ...With that big 500 you will have instant rock star status..

Big Mike

[video=youtube;ei7Z1K-UveE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7Z1K-UveE[/video]

The dude that made this video is member on supermotojunkie or was..That place has members from all over the world its a cool site..

SuperBuickGuy

started bolting together

The exhaust is looking like it'll be a fitment nightmare..... but we'll see.

strangely enough, I have a lot better clearance for the water outlets.... still have to come up with a plan... but more room

SuperBuickGuy

Looks a tight fit for sure can't wait to see it finished !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

me either - the biggest thing will be waiting until it's warm enough. My brother broke a ring on this motor when he tried to take it out when it was too cold (and he also didn't warm it up enough, but it was 20* so I'm not sure it ever would have been warmed up enough)

Big Mike

me either - the biggest thing will be waiting until it's warm enough. My brother broke a ring on this motor when he tried to take it out when it was too cold (and he also didn't warm it up enough, but it was 20* so I'm not sure it ever would have been warmed up enough)

yep..

I can remember buying 2 smokers new many years ago and having the salesman preach warm them up good....

and go a little rich on the pre-mix for winter or a jetting change..

SuperBuickGuy

yep..

I can remember buying 2 smokers new many years ago and having the salesman preach warm them up good....

and go a little rich on the pre-mix for winter or a jetting change..

I'm too old and have far to many bits that I broke (and really hurt now) when I was young to ride in the winter - that's why I have a Hummer :)