• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Cr 500 af

SuperBuickGuy

I've read nothing but good about these folks not sure if they would be of any help or not..

http://www.servicehonda.com/cr500af05.html

I just talked to them (a few days ago) about my trials and tribulations with melting the tank - they gave me some pointers that really made a difference; so I can personally attest to their goodness. That said, they only do latest model, so if your Honda is older than 2009; they have institutional knowledge, but no parts (which many times is far more helpful than just the parts)

SuperBuickGuy

pretty much done - I have to get a fuel line and fuel... fuel line tomorrow; fuel - whenever I can get to a snowmobile or dirt bike dealership (no swill plus mix for this bike)
First, a top view (since I had the tank off to mount the lines

and a completed bike

SuperBuickGuy

yes, I helped the process by clamping the head to the table (heat sink)

As I alluded on another thread, I got the motorcycle to pop, but it didn't want to light off. Today, I was at the motorcycle shop and we were talking about the bike - and something they said made me consider taking it to them to start it... I think the carb needs cleaned or rebuilt because I have spark, fuel to the carb, and compression... but we were talking about where the bike came from (Oregon) and they were talking about potentially rejetting the bike (long conversation).... so I asked them if they were willing to work on it - they said yes, and it's at the shop now getting a carb clean and a rejet.... just a little bit more and we can mark this "done"

this is my perspective, yes, I did all the work and I'm competent to do the work - but it always helps to have another educated set of eyes look at what's done - so the rejetting became the excuse to get that done...

SuperBuickGuy

Loud, vibrates, stinky... in short, perfect. Ride Honda got it running (weak spark) and gave it the required off-road inspection (we don't inspect cars for roadworthiness, but we inspect dirt bikes - go figure). Once I get a good chance of riding it, I'll post a picture of the day.... oh wait, I've looked into the future and found a picture of the day.

full-body-cast-300x242.jpg

SuperBuickGuy

Ride motorcycles in Woodinville gets a big praise - I love it when I see that they put a new filter on - didn't tell me or charge me.... good way to get a lot more business

exhaust leak, they say

actually, the bolt came out of the seat when I had started it and this was the result...

the last thing to do - weld a stanchion in place to hold this - however, the weld-repair on the other side suggests I should replace the pipe - then design a mount

naked again

radiator protectors

replace zip ties with a welded-on bracket for petcock

believe it or not, this is a fix of the other boot I had to cut in half to clear the tank.... much more insulation this way

I should explain, the problem with starting is low-spark - and to get spark, it required some creative taping .... rather than continue that tradition, I pulled the wiring apart, cut it down a bit to get fresh core, then screwed the plug cap into the wire (it's a honda thing, if you don't understand.... it looks like they put a metal cap into a wall anchor... you screw that anchor into the wire and it creates contact with the wire... screwy, marginally effective when perfect.... it wasn't perfect).

SuperBuickGuy

final update.... I've now ridden it around my property.... oh goodness gracious is it fast. From idle to faster than I'm willing to go, it pulls 1100 fast (not 750 fast which is a much more rapid ascent of rpms once it hits its stride) - this thing pulls from off idle, and you're constantly sitting on the tank to keep it from going over - but that said, I love it. I don't like the built 250s because they're too light switch; you're putzing around, and in one moment of inattention getting tossed off because you hit the rpm where the magic happens - bad if you're not expecting it.
it rides (ignoring the motor) just like a 250, easy to toss about - but it is a vibrating beast.... but, like anything else, if you like it great, if you don't that's great too...

totally different bike. I'd highly recommend trying one to anyone who likes to dirt bike.

SuperBuickGuy

Time to start getting this dialed in.....
a PJ 38

if you look closely, the top left reeds are hanging open (and now we know why it's hard starting)

and an inside picture.... I'm going to get a new bucket of carb cleaner tomorrow, remove the plastics and give it a dunk because it refuses to idle and doesn't have a crisp off-idle

SuperBuickGuy

if anyone needs pictures of a PJ Keihin 38 mm carb... here they are (I mostly did this to keep track of what it looks like together)

from left to right rubber washer, brass washer, spring

back together awaiting the rebuild kit.

SuperBuickGuy

well, I got the parts yesterday, but life kept me from doing the work...
New reeds/cage

some modification is required

installed after a bitter battle with float levels

and bike is done (okay, I have one aluminum bit to weld on; but that's coming later)