• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Cracking Paint on Roof ?

2007HummerH2

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, but in the meantime my H2 does not have a sunroof. It is an 07' Lux.
I was cleaning my windshield, removing bug splats, in November (I live in Maine!). We shouldn't have bugs at that time of year!
Anyways I looked at my roof and noticed along the inside of the black plastic rails on both sides, that hold the luggage racks, that there is about a 1.5"-2" wide area that runs the length of the roof. This area looks like body caulking and is painted body color. It is cracked and some of the paint has flaked off.
I never have noticed this on my other H2s but they all had sunroofs. I also thought that there was like a black rubber/plastic piece that ran along the side of the rails for the full length of the roof....?
Any insight would be great!

2007HummerH2

Ok,
Here are the pics. This is of the driver's side. Where there is no paint, it is not bare metal, but rather body caulking. It looks factory and there is no evidence of a re-paint. Don't mind the dirt in the pics....been raining here the last couple of days. This truck lived in Miami, Florida for 3-4 years before it came up to the North East...not sure if it had something to do with it.
Would like suggestions on what to do...or if this has been seen before.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

2007HummerH2

Well after hours of research I found that good ole GM used a seam sealer to put the H2 roof together. Basically the roof panel is bonded to the rest of the truck....not welded but yet stuck together with this seam sealer. From what I found out the yellow paint is kinda week and deteriorates under the sun sooner than other colors, therefore causing the paint to fall off and cracking the original seam sealer.
I have found that 3M makes a body seam sealer that is used to fix the problem. Part #08405. This stuff can be painted after only 40 minutes dry time. So it looks like my weekend is going to be spent cleaning and sealing and then painting......oh yay!
Just wish I found out about a month ago so I wouldn't have to paint inside......now I have to move all the other toys out!

LoJac963

I'm fairly certain those strips on mine aren't painted to match the body. I'd have to double check for sure but I'm 99.9% positive.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
2007 I think you right crawling on my roof I remember seeing similar calking on H2 and H3's are covered by plastic covers.