• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Naches Pass Wa, Oct. 8 2011

Big2dabank

It so hard to predict when something like this is going to happen. Its all just a matter of circumstance and dumb luck. Was it the axle shaft or the ring and pinion, it's pretty hard to break the 33 spline shaft on a 14 Bolt Semi Floater.

Scarsman

Sponsor
It so hard to predict when something like this is going to happen. Its all just a matter of circumstance and dumb luck. Was it the axle shaft or the ring and pinion, it's pretty hard to break the 33 spline shaft on a 14 Bolt Semi Floater.

It was the axle shaft. It broke just outside of the splines. I am surprised it broke, as the ground was mud. I would not have thought there would have been enough traction there to do it. However, it was a steep incline, and I think the angle put more weight on the left rear. I did have the locker engaged, so I guess having most of the weight on the left rear gave it enough traction even in the mud.

The dealer just called me, and they got all the parts except the axle. It is backordered. ???? It's only the same axle used in the most popular pickup trucks and SUVs in the country. How could they not have any? Even the service guy was amazed that there were none. He is doing a special locate now to see if he can find one anywhere. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

SGT-Wright

Here is a good map of where we made it to when the breakage occored. the red dot marks the spot.
So close.jpg
Had to be only a few hundred yards from the trail.

Big2dabank

It was the axle shaft. It broke just outside of the splines. I am surprised it broke, as the ground was mud. I would not have thought there would have been enough traction there to do it. However, it was a steep incline, and I think the angle put more weight on the left rear. I did have the locker engaged, so I guess having most of the weight on the left rear gave it enough traction even in the mud.

The dealer just called me, and they got all the parts except the axle. It is backordered. ???? It's only the same axle used in the most popular pickup trucks and SUVs in the country. How could they not have any? Even the service guy was amazed that there were none. He is doing a special locate now to see if he can find one anywhere. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

The 14 bolt is one of the most popular axles because they are so easy to find cheap. Did you look up superior axle and gear or one of the other HD Axle manifacturers. I bet they have a shaft that will work. I know the warranty will not want to use anything other than OEM, but its a much stronger axle. According to a quick web search the 14 bolt, 9.5, 33 spline axle shafts straight from Superior are $244 each.

Last edited:

Scarsman

Sponsor
I didn't try them, but I did find Randy's Ring & Pinion right in Everett has them in stock for $226.85 right now. I'm going to call the dealer and see how they are doing.

Scarsman

Sponsor
I talked to them today, and to be covered under warranty they have to use GM parts. Oh well, I wont complain. It's only going to cost me $100!

SGT-Wright

Sorry I wont be able to post up my pics till next Tuesday. Packing up for hunting this weekend. The Gobi will come in handy. I would have posted sooner but I have to shrink them down to fit the site requirments. Takes too long. I will post some video, I just have to figure out the whole linking to youtube thing.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Sorry I wont be able to post up my pics till next Tuesday. Packing up for hunting this weekend. The Gobi will come in handy. I would have posted sooner but I have to shrink them down to fit the site requirments. Takes too long. I will post some video, I just have to figure out the whole linking to youtube thing.

Agghhmmm! It is now Thursday! Just sayin'!

:corn:

SGT-Wright

Here is the video. I did not take as many pics as I thought, but therte is lots of video.
[video=youtube;MEErwFgQc6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MEErwFgQc6k[/video]