• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Possibly purchasing 1995 H1! What to look for...???

2007HummerH2

My fiance and I came across a really nice 1995 H1 Wagon. Has 10,000 original miles and has the 350 V8 gasoline motor. Looks clean. Dark Green Metallic with tan interior. Has tire inflation system. Seemed to be priced right. Just curious as to what to look out for on this model...for example any known problems/issues?
Any insight would be great!

Last edited:

LagunaH1

Agree with Serge. 10k miles on a truck of that age is almost too low. It must have sit still for very long periods of time to truly have that few miles

2007HummerH2

The motor/transmission is typical GM....what I'm wondering about is all the other stuff....Items that are just pertaining to an H1. That's where I'm not too knowledgeable.
The person selling it is throwing in four brand new military tires, and four brand new shocks. Tires on it now are fine.
Also I would like to know what would be a fair price on it....buying it from a private seller. Hard telling from NADA and KBB.

Last edited:

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
There are some buyers guides posted on the internet but I don't think we can post them here.I will send you a link. As far as the H1 stuff does the CTIS bleed air off and pump them back up. As far as having tires thrown in that is good but understand if they are run flat bead locks the cost of mounting them could be as much as $800. You need to get under the truck and check for any leaks including the Hubs. Also understand even if nothing is leaking now when you start using the truck leaks may develop quickly that need repair. Look for damage under the truck like scrape marks or damage. Without a very good description and picture it is impossible to tell what the value is. The truck is a 95 which is one of the least complicated trucks that can still run 65. The gas trucks the economy is poor and the torque curves are different, I have never driven a gas truck so very little input there except what I have been told. I have a 95 and if you have any questions feel free to contact me and I will share anything I know. Good luck.

freeze

Check the caulk joints between the steel roof and aluminum body, and for rust on top of the rear wheel wells where the roof bolts down. Also check the forward seal on the roof. I had water coming in all those places on my 95 wagon.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it have UCP and rocker panel protection? Does it have a winch? Doubtful but does it have the upgraded HVAC? The OEM HVAV unit was pretty weak until the 97.5 model. With few miles I would check everything. Run the Tcase through the different settings, windows up and down, etc. check for body and roof corrosion. One piece or two piece wheels? Gas models sell for less than diesel models so take that into account when determining how good the price is. Most of us would be happy to check the truck out if it is close to any of us.

Kurt

If it's a clean truck then it could be a good buy at the right price. Low mileage H1's command a premium, especially later years, but gas models aren't in as much demand. If you don't have the 2nd Aux fuel tank, you'll only have the one 25 gallon take with a engine that will yield you 9-11 mpg on average. Not a big deal, I have friends with 92-94 trucks and they just get a fuel can carrier and pick up a few military MFC's to store extra gas.

3 Hummers hit everything on the head. The V8 gas H1 has the easist to work on and perhaps one of the most trouble free engines on the truck. You'll be ok on the big stuff if the truck was kept in good condition, its the small fiddly stuff that you have to check [windows, the A/C can be expensive to replace if it breaks, etc]

2007HummerH2

Thanks for all the replies! Yes we are both mechanically inclined and plan on working on it ourselves. The truck is located in Maine, and I don't think any of you live close by....
I'll post some pics after this weekend when we go to look at it again.
Yes, it has UCP and side protection.
We can buy it for $20K. The person who has it has been storing it and lost interest.
So what do you think?

2007HummerH2

Finally was able to get the VIN:

137DA8433SE164630

What can you tell me about it? Want to make sure it's on the up and up.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike said that the truck was originally sold in Maine. No open recalls and only a handful of minor items were done under warranty.

2007HummerH2

thanks a bunch! We are planning on going down again on Saturday. We'll probably take some pics then....and check everything over inside and out.

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
At that price I would take a cashiers check or cash with you. This truck could go fast if others in that area found out about it.

2007HummerH2

He hasn't advertised it at all.....and he knows we are bringing $$$ on saturday.
The only reason we found it is because I bought an extra set of H2 rims/tires from him and the H1 was sitting in the driveway.

RamRod

how did the deal go over with the H2 rims?

That'll give you a idea of howthis guy is and how he treats his stuff

2007HummerH2

how did the deal go over with the H2 rims?

That'll give you a idea of howthis guy is and how he treats his stuff

Went fine...really nice fellow. Just has too many toys and wants to get rid of some. Everything he has is in pristine condition.