• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

RC Rock Crawlers, I am hooked!

H3slate

Brush raked
Well, after playing with Scarsman's and his kids axial SCX10's a few times, I finally got my own. I picked up the Axial SCX10 Honcho RTR. After figuring out what battery and charger to get, thanks to Robert, I got a fun new toy. It's something I can do with my boys and when I am jonezing for some wheeling.

Due to a fire and some closed trails, we got to put in a lot of trail time with our RC crawlers. Lets just say this wasn't the only time Scarsman recovered my vehicle while on the trail.

The mods have already begun. Thanks to Scarsman I have KMW rock sliders and tie rod. I also flipped the drive shafts to protect the teeth. Next up will be a KMW bumper, and some beadlocks.

It is yet another fun addictive hobby that will help drain the bank account.

H3slate

Brush raked
Made some upgrades to my SCX-10 Honcho. The sliders I got from Knight Metal Works, they don't flex like the stock plastic and hold my saddle pack battery packs. I also got an upgraded metal tie-rod from KMW for improved steering response.

I picked up a set of Rock Beasts with Single stage foam inserts from Crawler Innovations. The foam inserts are waterproof and help the tires look and perform like real tires would. I installed those with a set of black Axial beadlocks. I replaced the stock plastic suspension links with some aluminum ones I got off of Ebay. With the new links I was able to replace the stock 3 link setup in front with a 4 link setup.

Next up is a new front metal winch bumper from Knight Metal Works. Also need one more wheel so I can swap out my stock spare. I would also like to get the interior kit for the Honcho.

We are headed to Bend next week, supposed to have some fun areas to play... for the full size and rc truck. :)

Last edited:

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Hi Erik-- LOVE your new obsesson... er... I mean truck! LOL! :thumbs: Looks like you went all out and got some serious upgrades on it. Thanks for sharing your new hobby on here. Have fun in Bend, and make sure you take lots of pics! :corn:

Scarsman

Sponsor
One of my sons just got a NewBright H3 body to put on his. He's working on getting it modded to mount on the chassis now.

Jrkilburn

Here is my H3.
qeqy9ury.jpg
hu9eda4e.jpg

I am also reworking a H3T that was beat up pretty bad when I found it and a 1/6 scale H2 with full interior that I haven't decided what to do with.

F

Former User

It's a fun hobby. I've been into it since 05ish. Here's some of the better looking rigs i've built:

Lovell Clone gettin wild:
IMG_4355.png

Tamed:
IMG_4345.jpg

c1.jpg

Orange truck mike inspired me to build:
DSC_0780.jpg

Long Live You JK:
DSCF1150.jpg

Some heep:
IMG_2841.jpg

One of my first rigs i built:
PhonePix7-23-8034.jpg

Not shortly long after that came this FJ SUT thing:
DSCF0026.jpg

Highatop

Wow, I had a monster beetle back in the day and modded it out Trinty motor, better servos, better shocks and many more. I can't even remember its been so long ago.
What you can do now and what you guys are doin is pretty cool...:thumbs:

Highatop

Maybe...But, I was just watch some youtube vids and watched some RC ones. The way they take the vids and how they drive them is pretty cool. I just rememberin blastin and breakin things and gettin air...Almost like real life when we're gettin older...:cheers:

Scarsman

Sponsor
I just picked up a set of axles and a transmission for a build. The kids and I are going to make a rc scaler with a 1/6 F150 body they have. We'll build a frame for it.

Here's the body propped up over some 1.9 Flat Irons. We'll probably run 2.2 Irocs or Boggers on it.

ezy5uher.jpg

aranega5.jpg

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

H3slate

Brush raked
My son got the new Axial Jeep G6 kit from Santa. We have had fun putting it together over the last couple of days. Just waiting on a couple of parts to finish the build.

The chasis

We painted the body with a translucent blue with a white backing. It is not perfect, but we really like it.

We are waiting on the axial beadlocks, the remote, and light system.

H3slate

Brush raked
The boys and I did a little crawling at George Rogers Park in Lake Oswego. It is a little muddy, most of it came off. :wink:

IMG_20140119_160146_481.jpg

I had to back down to the water to take this pic, but I think it turned out pretty cool.

IMG_20140119_161925_936.jpg

The G6 Wrangler is waiting on the remote and receiver to arrive. We got the headlights and turn signals mounted, and still working on a good mounting location for the batteries.

My youngest son is now telling me that he wants his own rock crawler. :)

Jrkilburn

2599172ff938b6d4e937d667cb08752f.jpg

Old thread but still playing with the toys. Finally had a chance to get the Ascender K5 out this past Sunday and get it twisted up.