Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Street Tire
    Thanks

Saying Goodbye to the H3

I'll be posting the H3 in The Swap Meet soon - It's very bittersweet, but I have officially pulled the trigger and special ordered a '14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon w/ 4.10 gears, Automatic, etc. It'll take 8 - 10 weeks to be built and delivered to the dealership with my name on the window sticker. The dealer has offered me $13k on my H3 for trade. I'm going to be putting it on eBay with a reserve for $14k to cover sales tax and listing fee on top of the $13k i'm offered on it as a trade unless anyone on the forum is interested. All details will go up when I post the specifics in The Swap Meet. I've loved this truck - it's treated me very well and it will make a great vehicle for someone that is looking for something that is already setup for wheeling, but I'm up to 104,500 miles on it and looking to wipe the slate clean and start over again fresh with something else that will let me take it to the next level wheeling without having to swap gears, etc. I won't be a stranger here though! I've very much enjoyed being a member of this forum, all of you whom I have met in person and the wealth of knowledge about my rig upon which I have been able to rely when in need. I'm also hoping to be a part of Black Sheep week in Moab this coming Spring in my new rig. October is out of the question - I may not have it 'till the 15th of October and I can't put miles on my H3 or I'll lose my appraised trade in should it not sell independently before my Jeep arrives.

Cheers,

-Chris
    Current: '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. to build thread!

Sold: '07 H3 Lux w/ a ton of stuff done to it. It's in the garage still if you want to see what was done.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    - T.S. Eliot

Matty Patty Pookie Bear

Thanks
    Hate to hear it Chris. The best thing is we can still wheel together and it is not like you are going away.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,711 Posts
    I'm sure you'll love that new Jeep (but secretly hope you don't ). It would be great if you made it to Moab in April.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Hate to see the 3 go but look forward to wheeling with you in your new rig.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

Baja
    Thanks
    Another one bites the dust...
    Sorry to hear you go and switch on the dark side... Well at least there will be one more Jeep owner who respects and knows the capabilities of the H3...

Good luck with the Jeep

Mud Terrain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alrock View Post
    I'm sure you'll love that new Jeep (but secretly hope you don't ). It would be great if you made it to Moab in April.
    Nothing breaks on jeeps though... what's not to love (about to replace my F driveshaft, and my rear locker is on the way out The driveshaft was free though, I DON'T think the locker will be!!)
    07 5 spd H3 on Treadwright guard dog 35's... leveled & shackles, Bilstiens all around & adapter change in back, swaybar disconnected F&R. 4:1 T-case, CI front diff, beefed up steering rack with Hunner sleeve, flex lines, and ABS mounts

Now if only I could figure out how to jump it like my sled!!

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Anything you wheel **** will break and wear.

The rubicon will do great compared to the H3 because your (cstring's) 3 didn't have lockers or a 4:1 and without them I feel they put more stress on any vehicle as you spin and rev your way through with momentum. I know because now I was in your shoes and adding the 4:1 and locker.

Jeep mods can get crazy quick and it can go from stock to buggy status quickly if your wallet can handle it. As for comparisons for old H3 wheelers that convert to Jeep wheelers is that I never understood how no one will lift there 3 or do a spring over then they go lift their Jeeps with long arms too. Spring over and long arm are similar you are chopping welding and relocating parts.

Just don't compare a lifted locked rubicon to an H3 it's like comparing apples to oranges just like a locked up adventure package 3 with a lift to a stock X package Jk no comparison.

With all that said I can't wait to see your new ride and I can't wait to wheel with it in Moab!
    Squeaky3: 06 H3 ALPHA D70 front/Eaton HO72 rear 5.13 gears, custom crossmember for long arms, lockers, 4:1 T-case, v8 swap, hybrid cage, Warn 12k Custom bumpers....do it all vehicle

"H3 front axles are like drunk cheerleaders....just use em until they get mouthy...then toss em and get another." -anonymous

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 H3 View Post
    Jeep mods can get crazy quick and it can go from stock to buggy status quickly if your wallet can handle it. As for comparisons for old H3 wheelers that convert to Jeep wheelers is that I never understood how no one will lift there 3 or do a spring over then they go lift their Jeeps with long arms too. Spring over and long arm are similar you are chopping welding and relocating parts.

Just don't compare a lifted locked rubicon to an H3 it's like comparing apples to oranges just like a locked up adventure package 3 with a lift to a stock X package Jk no comparison.

With all that said I can't wait to see your new ride and I can't wait to wheel with it in Moab!
    I'm looking forward to doing the escalator in my rig, not that your passenger seat wasn't fun!

Fru is already chomping at the bit to help fab up UCP and possibly a few other things so that helps on the wallet for sure. Plus it's more satisfying to fab with friends and end up with custom mods than empty the bank accounts paying top dollar for aftermarket parts. With the research I've done - it's almost as expensive to get a 4 1/2" long arm kit for a jk than it is to get the 2 1/2" Rancho lift on a 3 with the crappy rear leafs. A 3" lift for a jk runs ~$800. I'm more inclined to spend the kind of money it would have taken to lift the 3 that didn't have lockers or low gears on a Rubi instead that already has the gears and lockers ... but with the added articulation gears and lockers, I don't really need the long arm to do stuff that I struggled to do with my H3 Lux so I don't see myself chopping and welding on the jk anytime soon (that's just me and my logic going from a H3 lux to a Rubi). On another note, this is probably going to be the longest 8 weeks ever while I wait for it to be built and shipped!

I'll also make sure I join the jk forums and keep the Hummer haters in line for all of us current and previous Hummer owners!!!!
    Current: '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. to build thread!

Sold: '07 H3 Lux w/ a ton of stuff done to it. It's in the garage still if you want to see what was done.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    - T.S. Eliot

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SickStringC For This Useful Post:

3Hummers (08-21-2013), backcountryislife (08-21-2013), Bigunit (08-21-2013), PCH2 (08-21-2013)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Funny story. Bought a used H3 in Austin about 4 months ago and have been loving it since. Heading up to hidden falls on the 15th and was watching some youtube vids of hummers at hidden falls. I see a H3 with the same pretty unique diff cover as the one on my new truck. Always wanting to talk to the original owner I decided to do some cyber detective work. Saw a couple more of strings vids and searched google with his user upload name. Low and behold I find posts on H4O...shot him a message and sure thing its the same truck. Thanks Sickstringc for giving up this incredible machine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cortinas316 For This Useful Post:

SickStringC (02-22-2014)

Hammer Down!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 977 Posts
    Welcome to the forum. You found not only the past owner of your rig but you also found all of us here! Great cyber detective work! Many of us here have wheeled with Sickstring and that rig in Moab. Now you can talk to the original owner if you have any questions. BTW, he took real good care of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapataint
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    John Wayne

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigunit For This Useful Post:

SickStringC (02-22-2014)

Matty Patty Pookie Bear

Thanks
    Welcome from Dallas. You bought a good truck. Hope to wheel with you soon.

Bogger
    Thanks
    Yep. This forum is awesome. It's such a wealth of knowledge and the people are great. I'm sad to see an H3 enthusiast leave but it appears we've gained another one. Glad to see the vehicle will be used and appreciated for what it is, an off road vehicle.

2006 H3 Base - Victory Red - Rancho/SOA - 4:1 transfer case - 315/75/16 Duratracs - Thorparts bumpers - X2O comp Gen2 winch - Brushguard - Tail light Guards - Daystar 1" body lift - AirDoc Intake - AFE ProDry S - Odyssey AGM battery - Ported Throttle Body - Supersparkz Spring Deletes - PCM tune - Ext. trans cooler - Bilstein 5100s - Outfitter Designs rack mount - Outfitter Designs outer diff bushings - Hawk LTS pads - OEM Sliders and modified UCP - Purple Cranium diff guard - Yakima Megawarrior - Aurora LEDs - ARB awning - Cobra 18 CB w/ 4' Firestik II

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Thank you all very much. It's a great rig and I've already made cosmetic changes...kinda bummed that's all I had to do. All the upgrades were already done. Great thing was I don't think the dealership took any of the expensive upgrades into consideration when they priced it. Plus one for me. I just wanna know how string got the huge gash on the now "spare tire". Cut is massive and still holding air.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cortinas316 For This Useful Post:

SickStringC (02-22-2014)

Bogger
    Thanks
    Some things are just better left to the imagination... Lol

2006 H3 Base - Victory Red - Rancho/SOA - 4:1 transfer case - 315/75/16 Duratracs - Thorparts bumpers - X2O comp Gen2 winch - Brushguard - Tail light Guards - Daystar 1" body lift - AirDoc Intake - AFE ProDry S - Odyssey AGM battery - Ported Throttle Body - Supersparkz Spring Deletes - PCM tune - Ext. trans cooler - Bilstein 5100s - Outfitter Designs rack mount - Outfitter Designs outer diff bushings - Hawk LTS pads - OEM Sliders and modified UCP - Purple Cranium diff guard - Yakima Megawarrior - Aurora LEDs - ARB awning - Cobra 18 CB w/ 4' Firestik II

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Welcome from Houston good times with that truck lol