• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SoCal Event - Bishop, CA - August 10-11 - Photos and Recap

cbetts

NERD!!!
We had another great weekend in Bishop! Mike (poncho1965) and his wife joined us (Chris, Ellen and myself) for a quick prerun up Wheeler Ridge.

(Click on pictures to view larger images)

The main reason for the prerun was a tree that had been slowly falling over the years. We decided to leave it since it was still green and alive.

Overall, the prerun was a success.

Ellen even made it with us all to the top.

Last edited:

cbetts

NERD!!!
The main run up Wheeler the next day started off good. We had 3 H3s, 2 H2s, 2 Jeeps and a Chevy S-10. We also had a group of three Jeeps taking up the rear. Unfortunately, Bishop claimed yet another transfer case. Mike departed the group shortly after starting up the trail. Shortly after starting up the rough part of the road, we had issues with the S-10 and Cherokee. Both were unlocked and had troubles climbing the boulders. The two decided to head back down to the meadow, That left only five of us.

I was impressive to see owl666 take his base H3 with a 5-speed up this run. He did very well despite the higher gearing. Only had to strap him twice.

It was a dry year so the snow melt pond at the top was rather dry.

cbetts

NERD!!!
The night run was cancelled due to the altitude taking it's toll on me, so we had to wait until Sunday to continue our journey. We only had three truckeld s for the Silver/Wyman canyons run. Canyon was pretty uneventful but Wyman held some surprises. Were were greeted with a warning sign at the top of Wyman like this:

We decided to head down and see how bad it was. At first, I thought it was at a closed gate, but a little further down, the road got a little eroded by a flash flood a few weeks ago.

After a little persuasion from Serge, I was conviced that we could get around it.

Serge wanted to play at the area we dubbed "Zach's Crossing" to play in the water. He managed to take some of the local plant life with him.

After exiting Wyman Canyon, we found a sign like at the top. Just had to pose around it!

I got a lot of dashcam footage from Saturday and Sunday that I need to sort through and edit. Stay tuned!

owlxxx

I was too busy trying not to break my truck so I didn't take many pictures. Thanks to Cbetts I was able to bring it back home in one piece. This was a lot of fun and I wish we could've done sundays run but we had to retrieve my brothers '87 s-10. All I gotta say is that everyone was really nice and friendly to us even though we were strangers. Also, My wife is giving birth in a week or two so I will out of commission until next year, hopefully I can get a locker installed by then. Until then, Happy trails!!! Hummer-5136.jpgHummer-5109.jpgHummer-5112.jpgHummer-5145.jpgJ-5176.jpgHummer-5164.jpgHummer-5143.jpg

Zach

Mall Crawler
Looks like a fun trip as always. Sorry I had to miss it, but had a lot on my plate going on. Really would have liked to get out with the group. Always next year or the next run. Funny though Craig, I didn't see any pics of the wanker. Although that was probably requested lol

2010H3TAlpha

Great pics, I have heard legendary stories about the Bishop area. Definitely makes me want to get out and find some trails over the extended weekend.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Great pics, I have heard legendary stories about the Bishop area. Definitely makes me want to get out and find some trails over the extended weekend.

Maybe next year you can come down for the annual run. Use caution if you attempt the trails around there though. Some have eroded down to where only narrow vehicles can make it through. DesertDan attempted Wheeler on his own and had to take the narrow passage up by driving his wheels up on the side.
13734_185254591895_6003330_n.jpg

MessiaH2

Cool dash cam... what kind is is?

Looks like fun but the best part is your passengers laugh during Wyman Canyon run!!! :giggle: had me cracking up. Sure wish i was NOT all the away cross country. Thanks for posting picks and videos.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Cool dash cam... what kind is is?

Looks like fun but the best part is your passengers laugh during Wyman Canyon run!!! :giggle: had me cracking up. Sure wish i was NOT all the away cross country. Thanks for posting picks and videos.

Wheeler Ridge was taken with a GoPro 1. I forgot to charge the remote for Silver/Wyman Canyon so I used my Droid2 the next day. I had the Droid set up to superimpose an inclinometer to add some more feel but forgot to enable it.