• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Stuck in 4hi

Hills

Hello,

I recently bought a 2007 h3. Ever since I bought it, I can only rarely get it out of 4hi. Not 4hi lock, but just regular 4hi. Sometimes I can back up about 40 feet and it will disengage. But I get about a mile down the road and it turns on again. Is there anyway to get this turned off? I heard that running in 4hi at all times can be really hard on the truck.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Do you have it in neutral when you switch it over? if not there is the problem. If not try turning off the vehicle with the ignition on in neutral and switch it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm confused - these trucks are always 4wd. 4 hi regular, the far left button, is the normal driving mode. 4 hi lock (middle button) can be engaged without going into neutral. 4 low lock (right button) can only be engaged whole in neutral and going less than about 3 mph.

There are no other drive modes and one of the three buttons should always be lit. For daily driving it is the far left button that should be on

Hills

I'm confused - these trucks are always 4wd. 4 hi regular, the far left button, is the normal driving mode. 4 hi lock (middle button) can be engaged without going into neutral. 4 low lock (right button) can only be engaged whole in neutral and going less than about 3 mph.

There are no other drive modes and one of the three buttons should always be lit. For daily driving it is the far left button that should be on

Okay! That clears it up then. I thought that I could get it to turn off and go into 2wd. I did not realize that it is always in 4hi (the left button) Sometimes I can press it (the left button) and it blinks then turns off. About a 1/4 - 1/2 mile down the road it turns back on. I just went out and tested it, and it did the same thing after putting it into neutral, pressing it, it blinks then turns off, I drive a bit and it turns back on.

photo.jpg

SuperBuickGuy

the indicator on the dash only tells your where your transfer case is set. Thus, if you press the button the computer tries to do what you've told it to do - however, if the parameters aren't right (such as driving and trying to put it in 4lo), it won't go and eventually will stay in 4hi. It sounds to me that you broke your shift fork in the transfer case and it's now in 4 lock and can't get out - thus the dash indicating it hasn't really shifted.... the other issue could be the stepper motor isn't working.... either one would cause the issue you describe

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Then try and put it into 4HI lock while driving straight ahead and slow. The light will flash then stop flashing, showing it is in 4HI lock. Then stop, place trans in neutral allow the vehicle to slightly roll (less than 3 mph) and push the 4LO lock button. It should flash then go solid. Go into Drive and see if you can tell that it is in 4HI lock; lower gearing. GO SLOW. Then stop, place trans in neutral, allow vehice to slightly roll (under 3 mph) and hit the 4HI (far left button) and it should flash then stop when the transfer case engages the normal 4HI positiion. This will get you used to using the buttons.

Hills

Then try and put it into 4HI lock while driving straight ahead and slow. The light will flash then stop flashing, showing it is in 4HI lock. Then stop, place trans in neutral allow the vehicle to slightly roll (less than 3 mph) and push the 4LO lock button. It should flash then go solid. Go into Drive and see if you can tell that it is in 4HI lock; lower gearing. GO SLOW. Then stop, place trans in neutral, allow vehice to slightly roll (under 3 mph) and hit the 4HI (far left button) and it should flash then stop when the transfer case engages the normal 4HI positiion. This will get you used to using the buttons.

Thank you! I am still familiarizing myself with this vehicle. I will check this out. This is much different than my previous Jeeps, and Explorer.

backcountryislife

Funny, going from the 3 to my JKU and living in the mountains I seriously miss having the 4hi without lock that the 3 had. here we're always turning so you feel the lock on dry ground, and we go from snow to dry to snow to dry depending on what has seen light & is in the shadows... so the "AWD" of the H3 was really nice... I really wish the JK had that feature.

Hoist

I had to pull the front driveshaft to rebuild it. I tried driving the H3 using the 4Hi-Lock however even after using KOEO technique it only worked for a short period and after numerous tries.
How do you trouble shoot the stepper motor? I can here it trying but it obviously isnt working properly.
Thanks

Hoist

I should say trouble shoot the stepper motor and the computer. I dont know what the logic is for the computer to over-ride the switches.

MTUH3

If you need to get into 4hi lock to drive in 2wd without the front prop shaft. Turn the truck off, turn the key to accessory, push the 4hi lock button, light should change and start the truck. the Tcase will not switch the truck from 4hi open to 4 hi lock while the truck is running and front prop shaft removed

This trick also works to get into 4lo, just make sure it is in N. I had an ABS fault the last time I was out. Truck would not leave 4open while running but did using the trick above.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

If you need to get into 4hi lock to drive in 2wd without the front prop shaft. Turn the truck off, turn the key to accessory, push the 4hi lock button, light should change and start the truck. the Tcase will not switch the truck from 4hi open to 4 hi lock while the truck is running and front prop shaft removed

This trick also works to get into 4lo, just make sure it is in N. I had an ABS fault the last time I was out. Truck would not leave 4open while running but did using the trick above.

Weird, I tried that (someone suggested it at Neo's house when i was there without 4LO) and it didn't work for me. I had an ABS sensor replaced later... that's all it was, but this trick didn't work for me.

Azjohn

Basic troubleshooting of the stepper motor that I have done is pull it off the transfer case (it's only 4 bolts) and let it dangle below the vehicle. Put the vehicle in neutral, and have the park break on (or chock the wheels) have someone switch the modes and mark where the motor stops at (there is kind of an arrow that rotates) Then I marked the position to know where it is going to. If i remember right 4low is at about 3 oclock 4Hi is about 6 oclock and 4 hi lock is about 9 oclock. this is if the solenoid is hanging by the wires. The sensor is off on the right of the assebly that reads where the stepper motor turned to.