• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Surprise Lake WA 2013

H3slate

Brush raked
Scarsman and I made a trip up to Surprise Lake for some wheeling and camping with our families. It is located north of the Carbon River and Mt. Rainier. It is a moderate to difficult trail with a couple of challenging sections. There is a 100% chance of brush rake on this trail.

My truck loaded and ready to go.

The start of the trail

One of the challenging sections

Scarsman getting some air

H3slate

Brush raked
After relaxing, working on our sun burns, driving Scarsman's rc crawlers, and building a makeshift raft

We decided we needed to climb something. After a first attempt with all the kids and the dog, we regrouped and attacked the hill.

We climbed from the trail to the top of the hill behind us. It was a very steep slope, with lots of ground cover and branches lower, and loose rocks for the rest of the way.

When we finally got to the top we were again rewarded.

The ridge line we were on and another lake in the distance

The peak we were headed to; elevation 5100 ft

And the view

H3slate

Brush raked
The only down side to this trip was that it had to end. My boys and I had a blast with Robert and his family. Great views, perfect weather, and great company.

Only drawbacks were all the bugs, and acting like a spoiled brat when someone else decided that Surprise Lake was a great destination in the middle of the week in August.

Scarsman

Sponsor
It was an awesome time! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to add. I put out camera battery on to charge before we left, and then forgot to grab it! :gaah: Erik stayed three nights, and my family stayed 4. We only had one group come and camp on thwe second night. I only had to yell across the lake at them once for the yelling and swearing they were doing. Other than that just a couple hikers in and out and a couple dropping some ashes.

that hike was epic! Pictures just don't show how steep that hill is, and how long it was! You quite literally felt like you were going to fall off. Then when we got to the top there was no area there, it just dropped right off the other side.

I have to correct Erik on one thing. The peak was 5400 feet. The lake is at 4200, so it was a pretty good climb in a very short distance.